From USA to European Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonoz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I live in the US and haven't been able to get in anywhere here yet. I want to get some general information on European medical schools. I would love to go to school in Europe. I have taken all the pre-med required classes and have taken my MCATs, graduated from college as well.

What is the process like? what schools? and what are the requirements?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Well, perhaps you can look into the 4 year medical programs in Croatia or Poland or the 5 year programs in the UK. You can also look at Ireland, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary and Croatia for 6 year medical programs.

Well I can speak for the 6 year medical program in Czech Republic. You apply and then take an entrance exam (in Biology, Chemistry, Physics/Math) and you have to get above a 50% in each one of the subjects. You can also apply through the North American representative (which is a lot easier).

Here are some of the schools:
1) Poland - Poznan University of Medical Sciences, Lodz, Jagiellonian (one of the best)
2) Czech Republic - Charles University, Masaryk University, Olomouc University
3) Hungary - Szeged, University of Debrecen, Semmelweis, Pecs
4) Croatia - Zagreb Medical University
5) UK and Ireland - tons of them with different entry requirements.

Even Romania, Bulgaria, Latvia, and Lithuania offer 6 year English medical programs.

The questions is, what sort of a program are you looking for? How much can you afford? (the British/Irish schools are quite expensive for non-EU grads) Where do you want to practice/study once you're done? What sort of an environment do you want?

there are also 4 year programs in ireland and england. the universotoes in ireland and england then to have good contacts (some better than others) with the american schools and graduates from english and irish schools tend to on the whole have better luch at getting residencies in the US

for ireland you apply through the atlantic bridge their are 4 and 5 year programs
with england I think you apply to the schools seperately, there are not that many places on the 4 years programs for international students but there are also 5 year programs

there are also 4 year programs in ireland and england. the universotoes in ireland and england then to have good contacts (some better than others) with the american schools and graduates from english and irish schools tend to on the whole have better luch at getting residencies in the US

for ireland you apply through the atlantic bridge their are 4 and 5 year programs
with england I think you apply to the schools seperately, there are not that many places on the 4 years programs for international students but there are also 5 year programs

When they started a few years ago none of the UK 4 yr courses accepted foreign students, some do now but prob not all so make sure you check carefully.