From where to where?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll be moving from Atlanta to San Diego in June. This is the 3rd long distance move in my lifetime so I'm already anxious about the process. Any SDSDNers (that's San Diego Student Doctor Networkers :D) have tips on where to look for housing, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

That's a shame about Towson, as my favorite pizza place is there (Pasta Mista), and there is a great place to get a bushel of crabs. Unfortunately I'm not surprised at the White Marsh Mall, that was always iffy at best. The only decent thing out in White Marsh is the IKEA anyway. Owings Mills in nice, but that is getting pretty far out. I still think the best mix of neighborhood and activity is down in the city....as a resident would just have to deal with typical city stuff there (slightly higher cost, parking, and not going down dark alleys at night). Did anything ever happen with Locust Point? When I left they were talking about revitalizing that neighborhood.

Good point about Locust Point, haha. I had a friend from high school who lived there, and she described it as a yuppie neighborhood, so that is definitely a palce to consider. Her family moved a couple years ago, but not because if it being dangerous.

I guess it all depends on if the Loyola person is comfortable in a dangerous city or not...which may also depend on her/his gender. I'm a huge feminist, but most men can defend themselves more than most women. As I told another person interested in an MD school- Bolton Hill, which is around MICA, is a decent area in the city. Hamden is okay, too...

Or just pack your stuff in the big moving boxes and send them pre or post your arrival through USPS ground - I hear they do that now and it won't cost an arm and a leg.

That's what I did for my last move. It worked really well. I took boxes there every day for several days. Of course, when I told the woman who helped me on the first day that I would be back, she joked that she would take her break when she saw me coming because they boxes were relatively heavy. : )

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess it all depends on if the Loyola person is comfortable in a dangerous city or not...which may also depend on her/his gender. I'm a huge feminist, but most men can defend themselves more than most women. As I told another person interested in an MD school- Bolton Hill, which is around MICA, is a decent area in the city. Hamden is okay, too...

Hamden...the neighborhood with rats the size of cats. :laugh: There are some decent places to live down there though, and some fun "locals" bars where most of TV Hill hangs out.

To the person asking about B'more...it really isn't a bad place, but they have bad sections, so make sure to scout it out before signing anything.

RE: USPS to ship boxes.....good luck. I sent probably 15 boxes of books, DVDs, some kitchen stuff, and clothes. Use media mail if at all possible, because books can really add to the cost of regular shipping. I had a box of DVDs and a box of Books go missing. I had 2 pieces of cardboard mailed to me from a shipping center, as that was all that was left of my "missing" boxes. I found it quite suspect, but at least I had insurance on everything. The insurance process was a hassle because they require receipts or proof, so take pictures of everything. I also mailed some luggage full of clothes, which was surprisingly inexpensive ($50ish for a large suitcase). In retrospect, using a POD would have been less stressful and probably wouldn't have cost that much more.

RE: USPS to ship boxes.....good luck. I sent probably 15 boxes of books, DVDs, some kitchen stuff, and clothes. Use media mail if at all possible, because books can really add to the cost of regular shipping. I had a box of DVDs and a box of Books go missing. I had 2 pieces of cardboard mailed to me from a shipping center, as that was all that was left of my "missing" boxes. QUOTE]

Wow!! I mailed around 20 boxes, and all of mine arrived at their destination. But, I actually wouldn't advise using media mail because 1) every single item in that package must be media. You cannot put anything else in the box, and 2) because only media is allowed in the boxes, USPS employees can open the box at any time to inspect it.

For those reasons, I would not use media mail. Plus, using media mail may signal to would-be thieves that cds may be in the box.

I like the idea of PODS, but there is no place to put one around my apartment complex.

Hamden...the neighborhood with rats the size of cats. :laugh: There are some decent places to live down there though, and some fun "locals" bars where most of TV Hill hangs out.

To the person asking about B'more...it really isn't a bad place, but they have bad sections, so make sure to scout it out before signing anything.

RE: USPS to ship boxes.....good luck. I sent probably 15 boxes of books, DVDs, some kitchen stuff, and clothes. Use media mail if at all possible, because books can really add to the cost of regular shipping. I had a box of DVDs and a box of Books go missing. I had 2 pieces of cardboard mailed to me from a shipping center, as that was all that was left of my "missing" boxes. I found it quite suspect, but at least I had insurance on everything. The insurance process was a hassle because they require receipts or proof, so take pictures of everything. I also mailed some luggage full of clothes, which was surprisingly inexpensive ($50ish for a large suitcase). In retrospect, using a POD would have been less stressful and probably wouldn't have cost that much more.

I got a quote of $2700 for a pod from SF to PA! and this is for a studio w/ not much stuff (no bed) = 1 pod.

I got a quote of $2700 for a pod from SF to PA! and this is for a studio w/ not much stuff (no bed) = 1 pod.
Wow!!

I'm hoping for $600-$700 (to go about 750 miles). CA to PA is probably 2500 miles. I loathe moving trucks and I don't quite have enough stuff to hire a moving company (glorified studio setup).

Wow!!

I'm hoping for $600-$700 (to go about 750 miles). CA to PA is probably 2500 miles. I loathe moving trucks and I don't quite have enough stuff to hire a moving company (glorified studio setup).

To be fair, this isn't "Pods" but a competitor. I thought they might be cheaper but that may not be the case. When I tried to get a quote from the official Pods and I put in Temple's zip code as an estimate, I got a message saying they didn't service that area. I finally figured out that they just meant North Philly ( I guess it is a bad area!) but would deliver to South. I can't get a ballpark online tho, they want me to call but I'm hesitant as I don't want a sales spiel.

Here is the website I got the quote from http://www.upack.com/

They got pretty good reviews on yelp

http://www.yelp.com/biz/abf-u-pack-moving-oakland

folks said they were cheaper than Pods and prob. the least expensive option available!

Wow!!

FYI: $2700 is door to door, if I take it to a terminal here (in Oakland) and pick it up at a terminal in Philly, it goes down to $2000.

I'll be moving from the "dirty South" to Baltimore next year to attend Loyola (MD). If anyone is familiar with the area, please shoot me a PM!

i would suggest going to Bengies while you're there!! It is one of the last drive-in movie theaters in the united states--I love it :)

Here is the website I got the quote from http://www.upack.com/

The UPack option was $830 (essentially they just transport it), though it said I could save more with corp. or student discount. That's not too bad. My buddy is already on the hook for helping me move because I helped him, so it may be do-able.

Thanks hamsterpants....btw, that is probably my favorite name on SDN, since every once in awhile I picture a hamster wearing pants, they are blue, sorta Stuart Little looking.

The UPack option was $830 (essentially they just transport it), though it said I could save more with corp. or student discount. That's not too bad. My buddy is already on the hook for helping me move because I helped him, so it may be do-able.

For $830, I would seriously consider it. I wonder how much the student discount is.

This place gave me a quote of $1700, maybe try them:
http://www.doortodoor.com/

thanks hamsterpants....btw, that is probably my favorite name on sdn, since every once in awhile i picture a hamster wearing pants, they are blue, sorta stuart little looking.

:)
I should fotoshop some pants on my pic!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a shame about Towson, as my favorite pizza place is there (Pasta Mista), and there is a great place to get a bushel of crabs. Unfortunately I'm not surprised at the White Marsh Mall, that was always iffy at best. The only decent thing out in White Marsh is the IKEA anyway. Owings Mills in nice, but that is getting pretty far out. I still think the best mix of neighborhood and activity is down in the city....as a resident would just have to deal with typical city stuff there (slightly higher cost, parking, and not going down dark alleys at night). Did anything ever happen with Locust Point? When I left they were talking about revitalizing that neighborhood.

I should just call the last few posts, "From wherever to Baltimore". :laugh:

Maybe I'm crazy, but I've been living in White Marsh for the past year, and I quite like it. I have never felt unsafe here at all. I think it's a pretty nice area that offers a lot of convenience. I mean, within a five minute drive, there's a mall, movie theater, tons of restaurants, lots of shopping, even a hopsital.. basically everything you would ever need. I never have to go very far at all whenever I need something.

Plus, I have a huuuge 2 bedroom apartment with a washer and dryer in a complex that offers secure entry and plentiful parking, all for $820/mo. Coming from Long Island, that is just amazing to me! I know I'll be sad to leave here come this summer.

Speaking of Maryland, though.. does anyone know about good places to live around the College Park area? I'm pretty sure that's where I'll be going, and commuting there from White Marsh would just be too much (stupid, unbearable I95 traffic), so I'm looking to move closer. Everyone scares me and tells me it's a lot more unsafe down there, though. Any suggestions on affordable places to check out?

For $830, I would seriously consider it. I wonder how much the student discount is.

This place gave me a quote of $1700, maybe try them:
http://www.doortodoor.com/

Well, now, I KNOW that I am going to be moving through the mail (and driving my car back and forth a couple times). I cannot afford any of the prices that you and T4C are quoting. YIKES!!!! Do you think it is too late to bring back the horse and wagon?

Moving from Cincinnati to Louisville...... I'm only going to be about 1 1/2 hrs from home and I just can't imagine moving across country. I guess you guys are all a lot braver than me! Still, is anyone else from there/know anything about the area?

I'll be moving from small-town Kentucky (Henderson) to Chicago! Well, technically I'll be living in the Naperville area. Anyone else?

I'll be moving from small-town Kentucky (Henderson) to Chicago! Well, technically I'll be living in the Naperville area. Anyone else?

Downer's is definitely NOT the city; it's about as suburban as can be. You won't be too lost there.

Plus, I have a huuuge 2 bedroom apartment with a washer and dryer in a complex that offers secure entry and plentiful parking, all for $820/mo. Coming from Long Island, that is just amazing to me! I know I'll be sad to leave here come this summer.

Haha I hear ya!! My super small 1 bedroom apartment on Long Island is $875 without any of that great stuff you mentioned!!

im very familiar with the naperville/downers grove area so feel free to PM if you have any questions....

naperville is one of the more expensive suburbs....so i would try to look for a place outside of that city

This is a pretty cool site one of my friends used. You post what you want moved, whether it is a car, boat, tons of junk, a furniture, etc. You post where to where, and people bid on moving your stuff. Usually truck drivers who have extra space will load your stuff up and move it for you.

So the top bidder - person willing to do it the cheapest, will get to move your belongings!

Here is the site: http://www.uship.com/

This is a pretty cool site one of my friends used. You post what you want moved, whether it is a car, boat, tons of junk, a furniture, etc. You post where to where, and people bid on moving your stuff. Usually truck drivers who have extra space will load your stuff up and move it for you.

So the top bidder - person willing to do it the cheapest, will get to move your belongings!

Here is the site: http://www.uship.com/

very interesting, thanks.

Hey all,
I will be starting a PsyD program at Pacific U(outside of Portland, OR for those unfamiliar) this fall. I will be moving from Boston to the Portland area, so needless to say I don't think that I will be making any trips to the area until I actually move out there.

I believe orientation starts the 25th of August. For others that have made geographic jumps, did you secure housing before you moved, or did you wait until you actually moved to find a place? Any suggestions on how to go about this?

Here's my main issue. My family seems to think that I should be in the Portland area by August 1st so I can find a place to live and get settled by the time orientation starts. While I think I should be in the Portland area by at least a week or two before orientation starts, I think it seems silly to move out there so far in advance, especially when I wouldn't have much to do after I found a place to live and there are a number of other things that I'd like to do with the time I have off this summer.

I can see why it would make sense to get settled, but a month seems excessive?

Any advice/tips from those who have been through a similar situation would be very useful. Thanks!

I actually think that it would be a good idea to move out there a few weeks before school starts. I moved to my current location 3 weeks before my program started and I'm glad I did. I'm not sure whether you are going to take all your furniture with you and hence have to deal with either driving and un/-packing yourself. But even if you are going to buy new furniture, it just takes time to get settled, e.g. you need to need get everything set up, like internet, electricity, etc. You don't to do that while your program has already started.
In addition to that you might be able to hang out with your future peers and get to know them and the area better. Honestly, I didn't do that much the first few weeks but I was glad I had the time to get used to where I am living.

Hey all,
I will be starting a PsyD program at Pacific U(outside of Portland, OR for those unfamiliar) this fall. I will be moving from Boston to the Portland area, so needless to say I don't think that I will be making any trips to the area until I actually move out there.

I believe orientation starts the 25th of August. For others that have made geographic jumps, did you secure housing before you moved, or did you wait until you actually moved to find a place? Any suggestions on how to go about this?

Here's my main issue. My family seems to think that I should be in the Portland area by August 1st so I can find a place to live and get settled by the time orientation starts. While I think I should be in the Portland area by at least a week or two before orientation starts, I think it seems silly to move out there so far in advance, especially when I wouldn't have much to do after I found a place to live and there are a number of other things that I'd like to do with the time I have off this summer.

I can see why it would make sense to get settled, but a month seems excessive?

Any advice/tips from those who have been through a similar situation would be very useful. Thanks!

Haven't done this as a student, but did make a huge cross country leap from NYC to Portland with my lover and all our possessions (plus two cats) stuffed in and on top of a Toyota Tercel. And we had no set plan to call Portland home at the time -- just checking out a bunch of West coast cities before we landed here. Basically we were so enchanted we decided to call it home. Well that and we were sick of being on the road.

We shacked with a friend of a friend for two weeks, in his converted attic, before subletting a home for six months. We had no income, little by way of references, and any number of reasons for the owner to turn us down. It was lickity split, Portland is pretty easy to figure out and folks take a shine to newcomers, by and large.

Not sure what you are looking for (studio, one bedroom apt., shared housing, etc.). If it's simply shared housing, a month seems very generous if not excessive. Portland is not lacking for young, creative folks looking to cut down on their overhead. Whatever you choose, you're not joined at the hip and if it doesn't fit, you at least have a place to call home while you make better connections and figure out where you want to go. PM me if I can give you any tips on Portland!

It helps to orient yourself to your town/city, so you aren't stressing about finding a grocery store, pharmacy, places to get food, etc. A week or two early should suffice, which will also give you time to break a little bit before jumping into an exciting next 4+ years.

MOD NOTE: I'm combining your thread with the existing moving thread, which seems to get a lot of responses. -t4c

Although I am from a suburb of Houston, I dont know very much about the city. Can you tell me where some good neighborhoods are to rent apts? Im going to the University of Houston and I want to find an apt in a nicer part of town. Also, where are some good places to go for entertainment or just to hang out? And any GREAT coffee places? And anything else you can think of? Thanks!

I'm living in Austin, TX right now and absolutely love it. If anyone wants to know anything about Austin, let me know!

I'm moving from Houston to to Seattle. I've lived in Houston my whole life and am happy to help anyone moving here. I recommend living in the Heights or Montrose area. Both parts of town are very funky. Good coffee shops, art shows, GLBT friendly and reasonably priced. I've got an 800 sq ft. aptin the heights for $725/month. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Good luck with the move!

Hey all,
I will be starting a PsyD program at Pacific U(outside of Portland, OR for those unfamiliar) this fall.

One of their professors/faculty was on Discovery Health's Psych week. Nice.....

Can I just vent a bit? I am having no luck getting people on CL to respond to my inquiries and it's making me super anxious. Moving is expensive enough, but at this rate I might have to stay a few nights at a hotel once I get to San Diego just so I can do the housing search and even then it will be rushed. I know in the long run it will all be fine but in the short run I am all kinds of antsy about this transition.

Here is a post I wrote about finding cheap hotel rooms. I am a hotel snob (nothing under 3.5*), but you can use the same method to find very inexpensive hotel rooms, particularly if you need to stay somewhere multiple nights.

ps. CL can be very hit and miss with people, but I've had great luck on CL.
---------
.....if you are willing to do some leg work, there are some good deals on hotels to be had on Priceline. I've been using it for years, and it has allowed me to stay at much nicer places than I normally would be able to afford. I just booked a 4.5 star hotel in a downtown area for $94....average price is $180-$220+/night. The Ritz, 4 Seasons, and etc may not participate, but there are plenty of 3-4+ star places that can be had for far less than you'd find on Expedia, Hotels.com, etc.

1. Go to: www.tripadvisor.com to familiarize yourself with the areas where you will be interviewing, and the hotel options.
2. Go to: www.biddingfortravel.com (I have no affiliation. The owner is "eccentric", but the information is golden)
3. Go to the sub-forum for your state/city of interest. Read the various pricing threads/combos. Find a sweet spot for your needs.
4. Go to: www.priceline.com to bid. Use the information gathered from #1 and #3 to score a good deal.

If done correctly, you should be able to save 50%-70% off of your hotel.
---------------

Do not get discouraged. These people get spammed daily with wierdo requests that they kinda stonewall if even your email address looks the least bit sketchy. Something that might help is emailing them directly with specific titles e.g "$650/month Bedroom - Houston: Question" or something like that. Including your phone number and a quick summary of your situation also helps humanize you too, lol. I just found the DEAL OF A LIFETIME on a house through craigslist and its 100% legit. But for every 5 people I contacted, I got about 2 replies. Its kinda like throwing darts and hoping you hit a target but it works most times so.......

For those going to Chicago, this is a student hostel you might want to look into:

http://www.chicago.aaeworldhotels.com/index.html

It is super-cheap so you can afford to stay there for a while, while you look for a perm place.

Happy huntin'.

Can I just vent a bit? I am having no luck getting people on CL to respond to my inquiries and it's making me super anxious. Moving is expensive enough, but at this rate I might have to stay a few nights at a hotel once I get to San Diego just so I can do the housing search and even then it will be rushed. I know in the long run it will all be fine but in the short run I am all kinds of antsy about this transition.