Frustrated about Pre-pre-req class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crrchngr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I went to see my pre-health advisor this morning. It was the first time we've met face-to face. All past contact has been via e-mail. First and foremost, he has the personality of a doorknob, and that may be being generous :rolleyes:.

Here's what went down: I start the "post-bacc" in spring with BIO. I never had to take anything other than introductory science courses in undergrad, so it's good I have to start all the science from scratch, that way I am not salvaging some awful science GPA now that I have decided to go the medical route. This stuff I knew already.

Here's my concern: CALCULUS. :scared: He then sent me over to the math building to take a placement test since I did take Calc in high school, but never took the AP exam nor do I remember any of it. I took the easier of 2 tests first. I scored 17 out of 25, it was mostly algebra, geometry and some very basic trig. So I took the second. It had 29 questions. I got through #11, and gave up...the rest was all sine, cosine, limits, and crap I CANNOT begin to remember. Once I went to college, I was liberal arts all the way, so it's been 100 years since I had a formal math class. So, I placed for Pre-cal.

Pre-cal...a course that I have to pay for and spend a semester taking. Enough said. :smuggrin: I want to get started on pre-reqs, not have to take a pre-req for my pre-req. Good gracious.

I know in the end it will be a benefit, but right now it's enough to drive me nuts! Anyone else been in this boat? Also, another question....What's the prereq for Stats? He said that the TX schools all accept Stats. Do I need pre-cal to take Stats?

Thanks in advance....

Members don't see this ad.

I have a similar fear of calculus, and I plan to avoid it in any way possible.

A LOT of med schools dont require calculus at all, and it isnt on the MCAT so I dont see why you cant avoid the subject entirely unless you are really looking for the whole application padding thing.

You'll need all of the sine/cosine stuff for physics and some of the log stuff for chemistry. Take my advice - stay in precalc! I know how you feel, but it will pay off in the end.

CrazyPremed

Members don't see this ad :)
What both previous posters said is true. You'll need the knowledge obtained in pre-calculus. But why are they making you take calculus? Most med schools don't require it, it's not on the MCAT, and you don't have to take calculus-based physics as a med school prereq.

TAKE IT! I'm just about finished with physI right now, and talking with a lot of my classmates, taking precalc pays off in a big way if you haven't cracked a math book in a few years (I took it last spring in prep for chem/phys, and it's been a huge help). While everyone else is trying to remember exponents, logs, and trig, you can blow through that and go straight to the subject at hand, and tons of the stuff you have to learn inside and out in precalc translates directly to physics, and comes in really handy in the algebra in chem. If you take precalc, wait till you get to waves in physics, and you'll thank yourself for having taken it.

And if I'm not mistaken, TX schools require at least calcI, and either calcII or stats.

If you took Calculus in your bachelor, why do you have to retake it?

You see, pre-calc is one of those courses that almost seems to insult the average post-bacc student. I already have a BACHELOR'S degree for Pete's sake... why do I need to take high school level mathematics??? It infuriated me but, at the same time gave me a relatively easy A on what sounds to be an actual pre-req for the schools you're considering... not a "pre-req to a pre-req". Also remember that there is algebra and other basic mathematics in a pre-calc class that will certainly help in all the sciences. Have you divided fractions in the last four years? What about just honing up on your multiplication. Time-limiting science tests are easier when you don't have to waste time punching 10% of 200 into a calculator. The sciences are math based and any math course will get you into the mindset you need to succeed in your other pre-reqs.

Longer post than I intended. Sorry. But hopefully you get my point. Pre-calc = good.

Mack