Frustrated, please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medlover247

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really stressed out and frankly sick and tired of this damn test.
I'm taking in less than one week and my test scores are horrible, I haven't gotten a thirty on a single test:

AAMC 7: (7,8,10: 25)
AAMC 6: (9,9,10: 28)
TPR 7: (9,6,10: 25)
AAMC 5: (7,9,9: 25)
AAMC 9: (8,7,8: 23)

I think I've postponed like three times already. I study and my scores still don't go up, I'm starting to think I'm just too stupid to do well on this test. Its ruining my life. I go over each test, and am trying to focus on problem areas, but it apparently isn't helping. Am I missing something/doing something wrong?

Members don't see this ad.

how are you studying for it? are you doing practice problems and practice passages with the topics u review? why do u get problems wrong? are you running out of time on each section? do you not understand the concepts?

I am sorry. I am sort of in the same boat. I take the MCAT this May 10, for the first time, and I am so very scared. I do practice test after practice test, and I do okay on bio and chem, but horribly on physics and verbal. I don't know what to do now, I am so confused. Best of luck.

I just finished reviewing AAMC 9. First of all, I've seen in many posts that this is supposed to be one of the easiest exams, but I thought it was one of the harder ones. I was going over the questions and for so many of them I was like DUH!!!! What do I do about this problem?

And I want to shoot myself because there are soo many questions I got wrong because I misread, or didn't notice things. It's usually not this bad, and I was in a really quiet place today too.

Then some questions I got wrong because I go blank and don't know what to apply to them. Also, the passages that I find interesting I do better in (especially verbal).

I think I'll review the material again, but any other advice?

Thank you :(

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice is to go ahead and take a "real" MCAT and see what it is like.

I averaged 33 or so on my practice AAMCs and got a 24 on the real one I took. I did take it Aug 20th, which by many is known as one of the worst tests of last year.

It sounds like you are not critically thinking through the test. I think if you remember to tell yourself to "think" and not just answer you will do better and not make as many stupid mistakes. Also, take them untimed until you can focus with the time pressure.

Learn to control the nerves so you can think properly and be clear mentally. I got shocked and awed on the real one I took and I know it cost me.

I should have voided but I did not think I did that bad until the score was released :(

Therefore, my advice is to take a real MCAT and see what is expected. I thought I was good to go but I was wrong and will prep harder and better this time. I "know" what to expect now. Just remember to void if you have any reservations about the outcome. Based on your practice scores thus far, that may be a wise decision if you want a 30+. What's a couple of hundred bucks when if you get in, you are going to be blowing thousands.

First, figure out how to get more questions right. Whether it is more knowledge or test taking ability. While you are doing this, I say take a real one and see it so you can prepare more appropriately and help you get used to the "real" experience too.

We all can not "kill" the MCAT like most on here. Some of us have to strategically attack the MCAT and see if we can get by it.

:luck:

Are you just taking practice after practice test or did you actually review the material over first? I took a princeton diagnostic test in jan, 1 or 2 more princeton ones in feb and just stopped (i was getting low 20s). Then in april, I sat down and learned all the material. By learned i mean, i can regurgitate the facts, understand what they mean, and apply them easily and comfortably to different situations.

If you think you know the formula by memory, then maybe the problem is its application? In that case, I suggest you don't do the practice tests (you'll be wasting them bc 2nd time taking a same test is not anywhere the same as first time); instead you should focus on practice problems from various review books. Once you bring your score up on those then go back to the full length test.

Taking the full tests all the time without seeing drastic improvement can definitely hurt your morale and make you depressed. Take a break from full length and let yourself learn a bit. By the end, I took my AAMC practice tests, my scores were usually in the low 30s, lowest being 29, highest 36.

I think you just need to do more practice problems. The more problems you do, the more you notice and how to apply the concepts.

I think you just need to do more practice problems. The more problems you do, the more you notice and how to apply the concepts.

Unless s/he is really shaky on the concepts. I would recommend going back through ALL your problems; that means the ones you got wrong AND the ones you got right. This way you can make sure that your thinking was correct on the ones you got right and wasn't just blind luck.

If you are noticing trends for things you are missing, try to go back and review that material again.

I would recommend maybe trying to use a different prep book (EK is very good as is Kaplan), but make sure you're not just staring at the pages and turning them, but rather you're thinking through the material and conceptualizing it.

Also, if you are not happy with your score average DON'T TAKE THE EXAM!!! Why take it? Unless you are just walking on water that day your score is probably going to be about what you're averaging if not a bit lower (especially since you'll be extremely stressed from your practice test scores and will most likely be thinking about how much better you want to do on the real thing).

If you're not ready, you're not ready.

Also, slow down. If you're making "dumb" mistakes you're probably going to fast or thinking about something else while you're reading key words. You have to stay focused, relaxed, and not allow yourself to get ahead of where you are. For example, in football, a common mistake for receivers is to start thinking about where they are going to run before they catch the ball. This will usually result in them losing track of the ball and dropping it when it gets to them. Well, if they don't catch the ball, who really cares what way they should run, so all of their concentration needs to be on catching the ball, then running. It's the same way with exam questions. Focus on the question completely before you start thinking, "ok, they said this already so it's gotta be this or that..." Finish the question, then think about what the question is asking. Try this and see if it helps. I know it sounds simple and ridiculous, but it can make all the difference in the world, I know it does for professional receivers. ;)

Thanks for all the great advice everyone.

I think I'll review the material a bit and do more practice problems with whatever time I have. I was going to take another exam on Wednesday, but should I bother with it or just study some more?

I'll try to slow down a bit, and do the other things mentioned, hopefully it will help. I also have a question about reading the science passages, should I just skim over it instead of reading it carefully so I have more time to answer the questions, is this something worth trying?

Thanks, and good luck to everyone taking the test, whenever you take it...

Thanks for all the great advice everyone.

I think I'll review the material a bit and do more practice problems with whatever time I have. I was going to take another exam on Wednesday, but should I bother with it or just study some more?

I'll try to slow down a bit, and do the other things mentioned, hopefully it will help. I also have a question about reading the science passages, should I just skim over it instead of reading it carefully so I have more time to answer the questions, is this something worth trying?

Thanks, and good luck to everyone taking the test, whenever you take it...

I don't like the term "skim", but I would say just make sure you get the general idea of what is going on in the passage, essentially understand it without allowing yourself to get bogged down on the details.

I'm really stressed out and frankly sick and tired of this damn test.
I'm taking in less than one week and my test scores are horrible, I haven't gotten a thirty on a single test:

I think I've postponed like three times already. I study and my scores still don't go up, I'm starting to think I'm just too stupid to do well on this test. Its ruining my life. I go over each test, and am trying to focus on problem areas, but it apparently isn't helping. Am I missing something/doing something wrong?

medlover - You may not be in as bad of shape as you think. Some people just need to extra pressure to get in "the zone." For others, that pressure hurts them. You may take the MCAT for real and actually score better. Do you remember how you did on the SAT/ACT practice tests? I remember I barely was able to break a 28 on the ACT on REAL full length practice tests. However, on test day, I got a 31. A lot of people work much better under pressure. You may just not have the incentive to really go the distance on practice exams.

Hopefully thats the case. I didn't take the ACT, I took the SATs. I didn't study that much and I did okay. We'll see what happens this saturday.

BTW, if scores are still coming out a month after the test, my birthday is officially ruined as well... :thumbup:

if u don't do well, think of it as a learning experience. if u think u bombed the exam, u can always cancel the score.

One of my really close friends just took the MCAT and did nothing but 17-18 every practice test and she ended up with a 30R on MCAT day. She said the practice tests were alot harder than the real thing.
I hope that's true!
My scores haven't been stellar either, but I just pulled a 31 on MCAT #7, so am pretty happy with that. Just have faith in yourself and be confident.

when did she take the exam? how long did she wait for the results and which aamc tests is she saying is harder than the real?

My advice is to go ahead and take a "real" MCAT and see what it is like.

Make SURE that if you make the decision to take the test when you KNOW that you are not ready, then make sure you VOID the exam at the end so it isn't graded (and thus will be on your permanent AMCAS record). That's very important. Don't just take it to see "what its like" and forget to void it.

I'm really stressed out and frankly sick and tired of this damn test. I'm taking in less than one week and my test scores are horrible, I haven't gotten a thirty on a single test:

It all starts with being pragmatic about the entire experience (preparation, practice, and the real thing).

You have a range of five points from worse to best. That's just the way this exam works. We find that most of our students have a 6-point range. This means that your real score carries with it a significant luck factor. If you sit for the right test using the right computer at the right time, you could get a 30. If you sit for the wrong test using a bad computer at the wrong time, you could get a 24. In that sense, you are gambling and there's not much you can do besides either (a) play the hand as best you can or (b) fold until you get the hand you want. I personally recommend the second approach, and want to reiterate Roadrunner's great advice to make sure you void any exam you don't like so it doesn't end up on your record. This is crucial.

As for the exam itself, it's as much about knowing the material as it is about knowing how to take their test. It really doesn't have much to do with being smart or stupid; it has to do with being in tune our out of tune with their questions. I subscribe to the aforementioned suggestion of doing more practice problems. However, what is mean by the word "do" is to first take the passage under timed conditions, score it quickly, and then redo the questions very slowly, writing down every thought you have for both questions you got right and ones you got wrong.

For questions you got right, you might find it's pattern recognition, recall, math, or successful POE (process of elimination), or whatever. The purpose is to recognize what works for you and then consciously employ that method on quetsions you find to be difficult. For me, I discovered that when I take the time write any key words and note what the question is asking for (a final velocity, a stronger acid, the correct hormone, or whatever), I did very well. I developed the habit of doing that everytime I felt stressed by a question. It helped more than I ever would have imagined.

For questions you get wrong, see if it's a careless error, a misread question, an incorrect application of a concept, a missing definition, etc... Depending on the type of error, you need to fill in the gap in your test-taking arsenal. Make yourself into a test-taking machine. Many of the questions will become a reflex in time. If you get good at this approach, you'll find that understanding the material falls into place.

Too many people try to read and absorb more text when their scores aren't where they want them, mistakenly thinking that the problem is information related. To a point, you need a large information base. But many of their passages and questions provide you everything you need, and it's a matter of thinking about it correctly.

Lastly, there have been hundreds and hundreds of people in your same shoes over the years, and they persevered. There is no reason you won't too. The path has many anxious and frustrating moments, but there are some great ones too. Get through this moment, because things will get better.

Thanks again for the great advice everyone.
In regards to voiding the exam, should I void it only if I feel I did very horribly? Because sometimes I feel like I did good, and end up doing only okay, other times I feel like I did really bad, and it turns out not so bad...

Also, I was planning on taking a practice test tomorrow, should I just do more problems instead?

Thanks!

I've done enough pratice test to know that I'm not going to increase signifanctly anytime soon, especially after one more test. And, do you think you would as well after one more pratice test?

What I feel that i need to do is review! Think about this, even if you did learn something new this week from a pratice test, what are the chances that it will be on the mcat? Think about all the information you have learned for this test, and think about the probablity of what you do learn this week, will be on the mcat. If you have flash cards, review them for clearity, efficiency, and speed. I think this may help the most. However, since you have taken several pratice test, is there a topic that is causing you problems? If so, review that one espeically. For me, I was having troubles with batteries/oxidation/reduction. And I saw that as a recurring theme on pratice test, so I did pratice problems from EK and reviewed it throughly. The only point in taken a pratice test at this point, so close to the mcat, is to work on timing in my opinion and maybe test taking techniques. Figure which one you need to work on more: knowing the information, timing, or test taking technique?

With regards to voiding, I've been debating this the past week. Some advice that I read was the following: "If you don't finish the test on time with many questions unanswered, then void."

Just to let you know, you may do better on the actual mcat. Atleast, that's what I'm hoping for. I figured with the rush and anxiety, may allow me to focus better. I talked with a fellow yesterday at a coffee shop, he just received a 31 on the mcat, and that this score was several points higher than his praticed test and he was pleasantly surprised. He attributed it to "actually taking the test versus 'just a pratice test.'"