Frustrated with clearing out pre-reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

max4good

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in need of an advice from you guys in this forum so please advise as needed. I would definately appreciate any support in advance.

I already graduated from an UC with a non-science degree, however completed the math (calculus) requirement. I just need to take bunch of science courses and I would prefer to have it taken care of at a state college, preferably at any Cal State Universities. I've emailed couple professors about how I can take his/her classes and just found out that applying as an extension student requires me to clear out a placement test before taking it. Assuming that I don't pass the that test and end up taking a lower-level science course (not to mention the long wait list as an extension student) for $180+ a unit, I would like to ask you guys for advices on how I can best take 4yr university level science courses.

I live in Orange County (CA) and would prefer to stay within my local area, however I am willing to relocate if other non-JC schools have a program for people like me. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

max4good said:
I am in need of an advice from you guys in this forum so please advise as needed. I would definately appreciate any support in advance.

I already graduated from an UC with a non-science degree, however completed the math (calculus) requirement. I just need to take bunch of science courses and I would prefer to have it taken care of at a state college, preferably at any Cal State Universities. I've emailed couple professors about how I can take his/her classes and just found out that applying as an extension student requires me to clear out a placement test before taking it. Assuming that I don't pass the that test and end up taking a lower-level science course (not to mention the long wait list as an extension student) for $180+ a unit, I would like to ask you guys for advices on how I can best take 4yr university level science courses.

I live in Orange County (CA) and would prefer to stay within my local area, however I am willing to relocate if other non-JC schools have a program for people like me. Thank you.
What about Community. Col.

I have an accounting degree and I have to take all the siences. So I called UNLV and found out the I have to take a Pre-rec to Chem 1. Than I called the CC and they didn't have that Requierment. So now I will take Chem 1 at the CC and the rest at UNLV.

I've tried taking some classes via extension, and once I got in, and once I got kicked out (after being in the class for 2 weeks and already getting the books). I think it'd be pretty hard to do the classes at a state university. Try a community college? I think I'm gonna do some of that. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
You could try taking some of the classes at a community college, but I Hear that sometimes schools may look donw on that. Do you have any branch campuses of major universities near you?

I did some of my basic science classes there my freshman year and the schools never questioned it.

Just a thought! Good luck! :luck:

I'm in this boat too. I want to take all the pre reqs at a comm coll to save money and the classes are more flexible with my job, but I know that some schools say ALL must be completed at a 4 yr coll. I don't remember which ones but most say there is a max number of comm coll credits can count toward the 90 min. I am close to Texas A&M and they told me I would have to apply as a post bac or a non degree seeking student because I already have a degree. Well, when time comes to register for all of the lower division prereqs, I would get last pick of available classes because they give the undergrads w/o the degree first preference.

I honestly dont see what the big deal is anyway about taking the comm coll class, because they all have common course #'s and are accepted at the local University. I am enrolled at Sam Houston for now because it is close and they said a post bac/non degree seeking student will have FIRST pick at available courses as long as they are undergrad. They have one course that needs a prereq that I dont have and the local comm coll has the same transferrable course that does not require the pre req! Very confusing.

I'm going to try all courses at the 4 yr because I'm not sure how I will do on the DAT and because I dont want to be not able to apply somewhere. The DAT is standardized and should reveal whether your University or Comm coll provided a good foundation. In my experience the higher level the course the less quality of instruction. Some of my best teachers were at my comm coll.

I plan on making all A's in my comeback no matter where I attend the class and hopefully do well on the DAT. Good Luck

Though Community college will allow you to take science classes cheaply, some school (most notably Tufts) will not accept CC credits as pre-dent requirements.

I recommend contacting UCLA and looking into their extension courses. You can sign up as post bacc. and take bio or other science courses.

Here is their contact info:

Registration and General Information
(310) 825-9971 or (818) 784-7006

Academic Advisement
(310) 206-6201

http://www.uclaextension.edu/

Good luck.