Frustrated with "integrated" curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hqt331

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I still think its better than traditional curriculum. But it's so annoying to have multiple lecturers teaching sometimes-overlapping content with differing styles, different slides, different amount of stuff left out of slides, etc. I wish I could follow the advice in the blog linked in this post (skip lecture entirely): http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=846756&highlight=step+1+blog

But since our tests are based on lecturer's notes, it kind of looks like a no go for me...

Anyone experience the same thing?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't get me wrong, I still think its better than traditional curriculum. But it's so annoying to have multiple lecturers teaching sometimes-overlapping content with differing styles, different slides, different amount of stuff left out of slides, etc. I wish I could follow the advice in the blog linked in this post (skip lecture entirely): http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=846756&highlight=step+1+blog

But since our tests are based on lecturer's notes, it kind of looks like a no go for me...

Now for a healthy dose of fatalism.

Yes it sucks. Traditional curricula are probably easier for test taking purposes. We are stuck where we are. Deal with it.

Are you really complaining about repetition? Really?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you really complaining about repetition? Really?

Probably not about plain repetition...rather conflicting or differing data on the same subject. I know we had more than a few lectures in path and pharm where the path teacher felt the need to throw in some pharm and the pharm prof did the reverse for path...and the info wasn't always superimposable (i.e. different side effects were emphasized for drugs or mechanisms of actions were more or less detailed). Since our tests were integrated as well you often had no idea which knowledge content the question was based off.

First two years of med school are challenging enough without having poor organization forced upon you by the administration. Some of my classes I spend a third of my time organizing information into a single coherent document to study from.

I can definitely identify with the OP's frustration.

What's worse is when they have conflicting information.

Probably not about plain repetition...rather conflicting or differing data on the same subject. I know we had more than a few lectures in path and pharm where the path teacher felt the need to throw in some pharm and the pharm prof did the reverse for path...and the info wasn't always superimposable (i.e. different side effects were emphasized for drugs or mechanisms of actions were more or less detailed). Since our tests were integrated as well you often had no idea which knowledge content the question was based off.

First two years of med school are challenging enough without having poor organization forced upon you by the administration. Some of my classes I spend a third of my time organizing information into a single coherent document to study from.

I can definitely identify with the OP's frustration.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. I haven't bothered attempting to incorporate it all in the same document, my strategy right now is if my brain incorporates it all then great, if not then oh well...wonder if it would be worth it to do what you're doing

Probably not about plain repetition...rather conflicting or differing data on the same subject. I know we had more than a few lectures in path and pharm where the path teacher felt the need to throw in some pharm and the pharm prof did the reverse for path...and the info wasn't always superimposable (i.e. different side effects were emphasized for drugs or mechanisms of actions were more or less detailed). Since our tests were integrated as well you often had no idea which knowledge content the question was based off

Why wouldn't you just ask for clarification from both professors if the information is conflicting?

As for different side effects of drugs, etc., I don't understand the big deal in that. I mean, it isn't like Professor A gave you side effects of opioids and left out respiratory depression but included vomiting while Professor B included respiratory depression but left out vomiting and on the test you have to decipher if it's Professor A's question or Professor B's question because both respiratory depression and vomiting are answer choices.