Frustratingly weird

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StatMode

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there
Looking for advice. Really struggling in Anatomy. Frustrated because I am not slacking, study significantly and feel confident going into the exam, but get poor results. Any advice on how to address this phenomena?

Members don't see this ad.

savior-jpeg.239710

Reactions: 21 users
^^^^This^^^^^^^

Changed my life

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
make anki image occlusion cards from your class ppt, maybe from some atlas/anatomy ebooks. i've heard good things about acland too

Yeah Anki has been pretty good, but I have Friday quizzes on that week's material and feel as if I get behind. I think I make too many Anki cards per lecture, but limiting cards to about 25 per lecture feels like I am neglecting a bunch of info esp. when one slide of image occlusion can produce 5- 10 cards. Any tips on that? Or approaching test questions in general? Perhaps I am falling into traps/not understanding what the question is asking

Are you passing these quizzes?
In biochem with mon quizzes I was passing but not great (C+). When it changed to Fri I noticed a downward trend ( C-, D)
Oh forgot in biochem I didnt use anki

Last edited:
Buy boards and beyond. stat.

Reactions: 1 user
Get a question book (Greys) and do all of them for the section in anatomy you are doing. You can make anki card for anatomy fast. But in reality I think questions is the best way to go. Get a list of all the structures on the exam, go into lab, find them. Then in lab, open question book, answer question, and find the corresponding structure.

You mentioned biochem. If you are still on biochem, buy boards and beyond like someone else said and do the biochem zanki deck. Practice drawing out all of the cycles and you should be good.

its okay. Anatomy and biochem are tough. Theee are also some anatomy video resources out there. But I think with what I listed it should be more than enough to get mid to high 80s

Reactions: 4 users
Yep! Ordered Greys off amazon this past weekend and should be arriving tom. Yeah the biochem course is over but anatomy has sprinklings of biochem throughout (Krebs, glycolysis etc.). Also gonna review and try to nail down if I am missing questions because I did not know or misread.

I actually moved away from Anki for anatomy and just moved to focus on as much repetitive exposures as possible. I would prewatch all classes, attend class to do some internal quizzing as class went on and used lab time and TA reviews to hone in topics (Lab/TA time was minimal compared to everything else). I supplemented with Netter's flashcards to maintain the breadth of studying. Then, I used BRS questions and acland anatomy (practical style) questions as soon as I comfortably could to solidify foundations. I'm waiting on my most recent exam grade, but I'm pretty sure I improved by ~10% by moving away from anki for anatomy.

You haven't mentioned what your method currently is, though. How are you studying now?

Yeah Anki has been pretty good, but I have Friday quizzes on that week's material and feel as if I get behind. I think I make too many Anki cards per lecture, but limiting cards to about 25 per lecture feels like I am neglecting a bunch of info esp. when one slide of image occlusion can produce 5- 10 cards. Any tips on that? Or approaching test questions in general? Perhaps I am falling into traps/not understanding what the question is asking
Image occlusion , I treated each image in netters as one card and just blanked out all the labels grouped them. I also ankied any course handouts. Took a lot of time, and is a pita but i did exceedingly well on school exams and national NBMEs afterwards.

I actually moved away from Anki for anatomy and just moved to focus on as much repetitive exposures as possible. I would prewatch all classes, attend class to do some internal quizzing as class went on and used lab time and TA reviews to hone in topics (Lab/TA time was minimal compared to everything else). I supplemented with Netter's flashcards to maintain the breadth of studying. Then, I used BRS questions and acland anatomy (practical style) questions as soon as I comfortably could to solidify foundations. I'm waiting on my most recent exam grade, but I'm pretty sure I improved by ~10% by moving away from anki for anatomy.

You haven't mentioned what your method currently is, though. How are you studying now?
I fell off pre reading because the handouts seem to give extra info that is a waste of time while the ppts narrow down the professors focus imo but maybe I need to get back on at least doing skimming pre reading before I go to class because I have been going to class but when it comes to the anatomy stuff in class a lot goes over my head while sitting after helps me way more. So right not I am deciding whether I should go to class at all if its going to be a waste of time (at least until I get back on my feet). I got into Anki which I found helped a lot but with Fri quizzes I couldn't really focus on/ get through thoroughly Thursdays lecture (on the quiz) and missed those a lot. I really like Picmonic as well and I have been watching youtube videos for some things (ex. Brachial plexus).

Image occlusion , I treated each image in netters as one card and just blanked out all the labels grouped them. I also ankied any course handouts. Took a lot of time, and is a pita but i did exceedingly well on school exams and national NBMEs afterwards.
Oh! you can group all your labels! I didn't know that. I will figure it out. I am still learning the ins and outs.