fulbright scholar, 3.88 sGPA, 3.92 cGPA, 36R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

opolis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

deleted

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if I was harsh!!! I had just woken up and wasn't in the best mood. :(

I mean, in regards to grades you look good. Your gpa is above average and if you've already finished your prerequisites then you don't have to do anything more in that area. If you haven't done the prerequisites yet, I would suggest you start looking at postbacc programs.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about clinical experience. Try to get some (as much as you can) while you're doing your fulbright. If you think you need more clinical hours, you can always delay applying until you feel comfortable. But honestly some of the people on this forum are really skewed as far as numbers go, and I'm sure you know that they don't represent the premedical population as a whole. I don't know about the schools you listed specifically but try to do your best this coming year and don't worry too much about everyone on this forum.

When adcoms ask you about it just be honest and tell them from your heart what made you decide to switch. They are looking for diversity and they don't only accept people with high clinical or research hours, so play up your differences and how they're going to help you be an asset to the class and a better physician. Research and clinical stuff is important so do try to get that in but you already have stellar grades so most of the battle is done. Just do your best, that's all you can ask of yourself.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Honestly OP your stats are terrific and I think you have a great shot at admission to a lot of the top schools. But then again, I'm just a lowly pre-med so take my opinion for what its worth. If I were you, I would definitely have a good answer to the question, "so how do you know you want to practice medicine if you have no clinical experience?" because if I was an interviewer thats what I would ask. I think if you can spin that type of question in your favor then you have a great shot.

Also, because of how much research you have, be prepared to discuss why MD and not a PhD. Good luck!

ECs:
-research in clinical cardiology for 1.5 years
-indepdent research women's issues in China (fulbright topic)
-peer health advisor for freshman dorm
-hospice volunteer
-domestic violence advocate

my main question is--i don't have as much clinical experience as most people.
Did you interact with patients during your clinical cardiology research? If so, that was clinical experience.

Any clinical contact while in China? What was the nature of the peer health advising? What kind of of time did you spend? When did you start at the hospice and how many hours have you volunteered? Did you have client contact as a domestic violence advocate and how long were you involved with the program?

Any of the above might have been a source of clinical experience. A typical applicant seems to have 1.5 years of experience with a total of 150 hours. Are you close to that?