Fulfill college classes for OAT

cassey ho

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not so clear about how much subject matter that I should cover before taking the OAT test. Can somebody clarify specifically the title of the class especially biology so I know how much biology classes that I should cover during college years. Is one year general biology good enough ? cell & molecular biology ?Biology of Organism ? Ecology and Evolution of Organism ? Biological Information ? Microbiology ? Human Anatomy and Physiology ?
I know these are mentioned in the OAT examination guide. But if I take all of those above classes, it will be more than one year of biology.
Please advise because I am still debating to either take the Ecology/Evolution class or Human Anatomy & Physiology classes for my junior year? I want to take the OAT test soon.
When do you think that I am academic ready to take on OAT. Of course, I need to prepare for the OAT test itself but I need to be academic ready>
Thanks for your feedback

Members don't see this ad.

One year Gen bio is all you need, trust me.

1 yr of General Biology before taking the OAT??? I was told to be sure to take organic chem as close the the OAT as possible. I was planning on having all the pre-req. classes done and taking a Kaplan's course before taking the OAT.

1 yr of General Biology before taking the OAT??? I was told to be sure to take organic chem as close the the OAT as possible. I was planning on having all the pre-req. classes done and taking a Kaplan's course before taking the OAT.

I think mlongo1 was saying that for biology classes 1 yr is fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Biology 1 and 2 will be good enough. At my college though you don't learn much about anatomy/phys in these courses. Make sure that you review anatomy/phys on your own because there will be a few questions on that. There also might be a few questions on ecology and evolution, but those should've been covered in one of your gen bio courses. Microbiology is not on the OAT at all. You def need to know cell structure/function. Good luck!

The more classes you take, the better. I found a little bit of everything on the test. You don't need to take all the classes since you can just study them all on your own, but it would make it considerably easier to learn them in class first. Try to have a majority done. I hadn't taken physio before I took the OAT so I had to spend a lot of time learning that on my own, but I didn't really have to review so much for genetics or biochem since I took oat more recently, and it was still fresh in my mind.

Come to think of it, maybe you should try to have physio done before the test. I found a lot more questions related to physio than biochem.

That's just how I feel about the test. Good luck.

-Jeff

Could anyone please compare and contrast the classes Anatomy and Physiology?

I really do not see much difference. Isn't it all about muscles/bones/veins????

What my anatomy professor always told me is anatomy is about form while physiology is about function.

Anatomy, you learn the names and shapes of structures. In physiology you learn about the functions of the organs and their cells. It is almost impossible to learn about one without learning at least a little about the other.

Could anyone please compare and contrast the classes Anatomy and Physiology?

I really do not see much difference. Isn't it all about muscles/bones/veins????

Think of Anatomy as macroscopic and Physiology as microscopic or cellular.

For example, in Anatomy you will learn where certain nerves are located and what muscles they innervate. In Physiology, you'll learn how action potentials are generated and propagated in neurons, and how they cause the muscles that they innervate to contract at the cellular level.

My Human Physiology teacher once said that "Anatomy is like reading out of the phonebook, but without it I couldn't teach you all of this cool stuff!"
Unfortunately for him it was at 8:30 in the morning and half of the class was asleep.

At my college, anatomy and phys are in the same course: Human Anatomy & Physiology I and II. I did not take either of those classes before taking the OAT, and I did fine on the anatomy section by learning the material on my own. Yes, they will have several questions in this area but not in nearly as much detail as what you would find on the MCAT.

At my college, anatomy and phys are in the same course: Human Anatomy & Physiology I and II. I did not take either of those classes before taking the OAT, and I did fine on the anatomy section by learning the material on my own. Yes, they will have several questions in this area but not in nearly as much detail as what you would find on the MCAT.

Be careful taking that course though. When I contacted UCBSO's admissions they told me that that would not count as pre-req. Where I'm doing my undergrad, they offer Anatomy, upper division anatomy, ud physiology, and a lower division A&P course. I was told the ld anatomy and ud physiology would be fine to fulfill their pre-reqs.