Full Crown Wax Up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DudeDDS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble with doing full crown wax ups with coping.
I was pretty decent at doing the full crown prep on the flat surface, but this coping is rocking my world.

I've spent many hours doing my wax up (very slow waxer), only to fracture into 2-5 pieces as soon as I check the occlusion.

I normally do my wax ups at home, if I don't finish in the lab, so I don't have a professor to consult (not that they are that helpful in the first place)

Does anyone have any advice to offer or any resources I can consult?

Thanks.

-DudeDDS

Members don't see this ad.

get your occlusion right first

set the axial walls then build up blobs for your cusps, then mash down the teeth to get occlusion then work from there

Work on the occlusion first. It doesn't take too long to do the rest of the crown. Take it easy when you check the occlusion. Keep working on the occlusion until both sides of the arch are in occlusion with the opposing arch and you get the contacts you want. LIGHT taps with articulating paper is all you need. Better that you break the waxup while checking the occlusion rather than the professor break it when he's checking it.

ohhh molar waxups are awful!! i had the exact same problem last semester. mine kept cracking. ugh. maybe try taking down the occlusal surface a little more within the limits they allow if you're doing the build-up on a crown prep. my teacher showed me to melt a big blob of wax and put it on the occlusal surface before you carve away.

waxing sucks. especially when you are making dentures in the same semester and have a nazi for a teacher. ugh. i feel your pain. lets be friends :)