full lengths are so demoralizing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tigress

queen of the jungle
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took my first full-length. The physical sciences section was totally demoralizing. I don't remember any of that stuff (and I never even took physics II and we haven't gotten there in the review course yet!). At least the rest of it wasn't so bad. Now I'm really curious how I did.

Anyway, 2 months to go and oh so much to review (or learn :rolleyes: )

I can do this, right? After the physical science section I was ready to give up and take the August MCAT!! But that was only temporary :p

Members don't see this ad.

:luck: Keep on practicing. That's key. I know it's tough, and sometimes your confidence gets beaten up. But the point is to keep at it, and remind yourself that you'll get through it. Full lengths are hideous, for sure. Hang in there, and good luck to you! ;)

2 months should be more than enough time to prepare...

But it depends on your undergrad institution and/or your study habits in your classes and for the MCAT.

hey thanks guys

I just scored the test and I was somewhat disappointed but not surprised. Is it a general consensus that TPR practice test 1 (4911) is sort of hard? I usually get about 14 on verbal (when I did just verbal sections, not entire test) and I only got 11 on this one. I got almost everything right in bio, but screwed myself with orgo. And physical sciences was just...bad. Anyway, I know I have a lot of work to do.

Also, does anybody know if by grading my TPR practice test online it will screw up the system if I want them to score the answer sheet with the computer? I gave in my answer sheet to be scored, but it can't be done until after the holiday weekend, so then I came and scored it online. But I still want the full score report from the computer, and I'm not really sure some of the answers I put in online were the actual ones on my answer sheet...

Members don't see this ad :)
what's truly depressing is having to slog through it all over again just to go over your answers. it's amazing what kind of stupid mistakes you make under timed conditions. :rolleyes:

chicagomel said:
what's truly depressing is having to slog through it all over again just to go over your answers. it's amazing what kind of stupid mistakes you make under timed conditions. :rolleyes:

That's so true. I think just learning to be more careful will result in a few more points on my score!! And going over the right answers is a drag

whoa! with a discrepancy like that you have to question berkley's test. were the questions that hard when you looked over the answer key?

you're the definition of a tool. "i usually get 14's in verbal and i get a 11"..real bad i guess...and almost ace the bio section...sorry but i have no sympathy for someone who is doing fine. i'm sorry but you have the mental capacity to fix up your PS and orgo and dont need to boast bout your achievements on here.. quit kiddin yourself that you are in a dire situation because you are not.

peace

tigress said:
Also, does anybody know if by grading my TPR practice test online it will screw up the system if I want them to score the answer sheet with the computer? I gave in my answer sheet to be scored, but it can't be done until after the holiday weekend, so then I came and scored it online. But I still want the full score report from the computer, and I'm not really sure some of the answers I put in online were the actual ones on my answer sheet...

Grading your test online won't screw up the system...just when you get your score report sheet back in class it will look like you've taken two tests so far instead of one (the histogram will show two tests).

tigress. i totally agree with you. my first kaplan full length test was a wake up call. the physical sciences section was very demoralizing, but the other sections werent that bad. at least i know that i need to spend the next two months concentrating on chemistry and physics.

does anyone know how kaplan's full-length compare with the actual mcat? i've only taken that one and want to know how to place myself realistically...

jon0013 said:
you're the definition of a tool. "i usually get 14's in verbal and i get a 11"..real bad i guess...and almost ace the bio section...sorry but i have no sympathy for someone who is doing fine. i'm sorry but you have the mental capacity to fix up your PS and orgo and dont need to boast bout your achievements on here.. quit kiddin yourself that you are in a dire situation because you are not.

peace

It's real nice to call people names. I was in no way boasting about my achievements and I'm sorry if you have problems with me asking questions. But you know, a 10 isn't "almost acing the bio section", and a 6 on PS isn't exactly fine. And I'm not kidding myself; I'm definitely not in a dire situation, in fact I'm luckily much better off than many people (not meant in any way to boast!). That doesn't mean I'm not disappointed when my scores are below what I feel I'm capable of.

Kateroni18 said:
Grading your test online won't screw up the system...just when you get your score report sheet back in class it will look like you've taken two tests so far instead of one (the histogram will show two tests).

thanks for the info :)

sharpnerd00 said:
does anyone know how kaplan's full-length compare with the actual mcat? i've only taken that one and want to know how to place myself realistically...

having taken the kaplan course, and written the MCAT for the first and only time (thankfully) my comparsion:

- kaplan full lengths are much harder on PS section
- verbal is about the same
- biology on the kaplan tends to be harder than the AAMC MCAT (although MCAT exams can vary widely in difficulty depending on the topics chosen and your individual strengths, wherease Kaplan exams seem to consistently test all areas)

Kaplan does appear to curve harder. My AAMC practice exams and real MCAT was 3 points higher than Kaplan exams (which were already from day 1 in the low 30's). My point is not to brag - rather I think anyone taking a prep course should realize that 1) if you have done well on your general subjects the MCAT won't be overly challenging 2) practice exams are important for getting to know your weak areas (including timing). Don't bother studying things you know, study the hard sections. 3) Finally don't be concerned with average prep marks, they usually always go up (otherwise you would get your money back! lol) Ignore those who constantly talk about their marks during the mock exams. Every class seems to have a few gunners (who probably will suffer in the interview anyways).

Study hard and anyone can score 33-36! (e.g. 11 verbal + 13 bio + 12 physics -> not impossible!)