Full-Ride Scholarship Negotiations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sutheja

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am in a bit of a bind, and would love any advice:

I was fortunate enough to be accepted to 1 T10 and 2 T5's. I then found out I received a full merit-based scholarship to the T10. I am not eligible for financial aid, but finances mean a lot to me, so this is a huge factor. However, I far prefer the programs at either of the two T5's I got into (although I am not sure exactly which one I prefer/would want to attend more; I have to go and visit). I have a series of questions:

1. Given I am unsure which of the T5's programs I prefer, would it be better for me to hold off on emailing either? I would be concerned that I would try and negotiate and then might back out of their program which seems like a very bad look.
2. If I should reach out, specifically who should I reach out to? I was thinking of starting by asking my interviewer for advice (at both T5's, we vibed, and I feel an internal advocate would be helpful) and then reaching out to the Dean of Admissions.
3. Would I mention the T10 school by name, or just say I received a full merit-based scholarship?
4. How would I word the email, especially given I am not confident enough to say "I am ready to commit to your school if you just give me some aid?"

Really appreciate any and all advice here -- I feel like I have one shot at this, and really do not want to butcher it!

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

I was fortunate enough to be accepted to 1 T10 and 2 T5's. I then found out I received a full merit-based scholarship to the T10. I am not eligible for financial aid, but finances mean a lot to me, so this is a huge factor. However, I far prefer the programs at either of the two T5's I got into (although I am not sure exactly which one I prefer/would want to attend more; I have to go and visit). I have a series of questions:

1. Given I am unsure which of the T5's programs I prefer, would it be better for me to hold off on emailing either? I would be concerned that I would try and negotiate and then might back out of their program which seems like a very bad look.
2. If I should reach out, specifically who should I reach out to? I was thinking of starting by asking my interviewer for advice (at both T5's, we vibed, and I feel an internal advocate would be helpful) and then reaching out to the Dean of Admissions.
3. Would I mention the T10 school by name, or just say I received a full merit-based scholarship?
4. How would I word the email, especially given I am not confident enough to say "I am ready to commit to your school if you just give me some aid?"

Really appreciate any and all advice here -- I feel like I have one shot at this, and really do not want to butcher it!
Now isn't the time to be worried about 'looks', your future self will thank you when you aren't in debt a few hundred thousand.

While I wasn't admitted to a T10 or T5, I did receive a scholarship from a T30 and then emailed two other schools asking them if they could match the scholarship from X school for X amount as I would love to attend but would like to avoid going into debt. I ended up getting an even better scholarship at one of the schools after everything was said and done. Best of luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1. Reach out now
2. I emailed interviewer at one school, financial aid or admissions people at other schools.
3. Mention top 10 school by name, they need to know it's a peer institution
4. Explain that you love their school and would like to attend, but finances are playing a
huge role in your decision

Reactions: 1 user
Clarify: you received financial aid packages from all the schools?

Have you done your cost of attendance calculations? You need to see the actual difference in the debt number so you know what you are asking for. They will do their own calculations to verify your numbers if they are seriously considering any match.

Do the other schools give merit scholarships? Usually the T5 schools don't but that could change depending on your eligibility.

Ask the financial aid officers if merit scholarships that can neutralize that COA difference is normal at their school? If they have handed everything out, you have your answer.

Do not ask your interviewers. They won't know.

Every school will react differently if you name drop another school. Some schools will just say, "hope to see you when you apply for residency or a faculty position" if you do this. Coming in with numbers is more professional.

Last edited:
It’s not complicated, contacted the 2 T5s admissions (address to whoever signed the admission letter or email) and mention the T10 merit offer. You don’t need to make any commitments. Worst case they say no. However it’s very tough to get full tuition at T5s.

Last edited:

Forgive me but I am having trouble reconciling these two statements...please clarify.
I would hold off on putting something in writing and try to call/meet in-person. In-person is always better.

scholarship for high grades/mcat/research but his/her parents or op make a lot of monies and op wont get monies via fafsa submission to schools
Making money doesn't disqualify one from FAFSA.

Not so sure you need to mention the school by name in communications with T5 schools. If they want to know, they ask for name or even ask for proof. Had a similar scenario myself several years ago.

Congrats OP!

• Love
i see your point now; my understanding is op/op's family either makes enough to assume they wont get any aid or now from what you said maybe they are not a citizen or an eligible non-citizen
Where are you getting this?