Full Scholarship Interview - What to wear? How to stand out?

CorrieNC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a full scholarship interview coming up and I am not sure what to wear. It will be an interview infront of a panel and then we'll break into disscussion groups.

Should I go out and get a suit, pants or skirt? Nice skirt (black or kaki?) and blouse or polo? Kakis or dress pants and polo?

How do I stand out as a good contender? I figured speaking up, asking questions, thoughtful answers, meet eye contact, smile some, anything else?

I really need this scholarship!

Members don't see this ad.

Of course you need to dress up and look very presentable and mature. Get a pan-suit or a nice looking skirt+blouse combination (sorry I don't know much about women's fashion).

Also try to asnwer clearly, use a strong voice, don't be timid or afraid. Show them that you are capable of recieving this scholarship and show them you are a good person. If you want to stand out, try to ask them questions.

I can't really think of anything else at the moment, I'll get back to you on this though. :)

Last edited:
You got the performance down. It's for med school interviews, but maybe the Women's Interview Clothing thread will help you out. I know nothing about women's dress, but judging from what I've seen interviewees here wear, a nice pants or skirt suit will be appropriate. Just remember that you can never be over-dressed for an interview, but you can definitely under-dress.

Also, don't do this:
give them compliments (don't over-do the compliments or you will sound like a kiss-a**). If there is a women there, tell them you like her shoes or any jewlery she is wearing, don't tell the men anything lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would concur with MilkmanAl; do not complement the women on their fashion, jewelry, or shoes. This is not a social event. When there is that much money involved (full scholarship), be professional, not cordial. Also, interviewing is a skill. You can get better by practicing. Draw up a list of potential questions you may think they'll ask, i.e., "Why you?", "What do you plan on studying," "What do you plan on doing with your degree?" - I'm not really sure what undergraduate interviews will ask. Have an adult ask you these questions. Use your parents, friend's parents, maybe a teacher with whom you are in good rapport... but practice. At LEAST once.

Ok, I agree, now that I read it , the suggestion sounds incredibly stupid.

I do not know what you will be asked, but I agree with the user who suggested that you draw up a list of potential questions, and PRACTICE. In my opinion, practicing is one of the best things you can do in preparation for an interview. Practice often, and since you will most likely be sitting, practice in a chair in front of a full length mirror so that you see your performance and improve any of your perceived weaknesses.

Also as this sounds like a competitive scholarship, you need to be able to adequately answer the question, "why should we give this scholarship to you and not to other qualified applicants?" One question I was asked for an interview was, "since you will succeed anywhere you go, why are you choosing to come here?" Think about that, too. Good luck.

shinnobiz why do you even give advice

shinnobiz why do you even give advice

Because I enjoy being helpful. Even though my suggestion was stupid, I learned from this experience.

Better question is, why do you care what I do?:confused:

Because the first instinct of some of these users is to insult.

Because the first instinct of some of these users is to insult.
Not only are you wrong, but you're a complete idiot.

It wasn't clear, next time she should use a smiley, or perhaps I am an idiot?

It wasn't clear, next time she should use a smiley, or perhaps I am an idiot?
Yes, it was a joke. I don't really like emoticons for some reason. Also, I'm a guy. Why did you think I was a woman? Is it because I have the Cookie Monster for an avatar?

No, I knew you weren't female.

Just now saw your post last fall.
How did the interview go?
What did you decide to wear?
How did you present yourself so that you could stand out?
And, perhaps the most suspenseful question of all.....
DID YOU GET THE SCHOLARSHIP?

Love to hear your remarks.
D.Gee

I actually ended up not going to the interview. I was told last minute that I did not make the cut due to my SAT scores. Apparently the person who told me that I was in the running for the scholarship was mistaken, my overall SAT score would have qualified me but my individual score did not reach the minimum.

It ended up that I go into a better and cheaper school, so it doesn't really matter now anyways. :D (Though no aid, boo)

Thanks for all of the tips, I will admit that I had a job interview last week and did use some of these tips. I still haven't heard back about that job yet. :rolleyes:

Thanks again!

- Corrie :)