full time child care

Started by dl2dp2
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dl2dp2

Full Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am considering taking a couple of years off for either part or full time child care. How would this affect my career as a fully boarded psychiatrist--say focusing primarily on outpatient, but possibly also inpatient/IOP when I return? Assuming I keep all credentialing current in the meanwhile...
 
Many psychiatrists take time off and also work part time. Welcome to the status quo where having a pulse means you're hired. You also know enough about pp that you don't need to rely on anyone for a paycheck.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am considering taking a couple of years off for either part or full time child care. How would this affect my career as a fully boarded psychiatrist--say focusing primarily on outpatient, but possibly also inpatient/IOP when I return? Assuming I keep all credentialing current in the meanwhile...

Bless you for even considering this.
I can't imagine it would make an iota of difference to your employability as a clinician but it could blow your academic trajectory (if you're still interested in that at all) to smithereens.
On the other hand there's always this
https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PA-16-289.html
 
Which setting (academic, private practice, a non-academic employed practice, etc.)?

I agree with the above posters, psychiatrists are in-demand and finding work will probably not be terribly difficult. I do know at least one psychiatrist who has done this, but she did so a couple of decades ago. It hasn't hurt her practice at all as far as I can tell.

Also you could consider finding a moonlighting or part-time option (like a day per week) to keep you sharp / keep the CV more continuous.
 
Not psychiatry specific, but if you take more than a month or so off then many state medical boards want to know a) why and b) what you did to make sure you're still a competent physician.

Take home point: call your state medical board and ask about this
Yeah, hospital privileging applications sometimes ask you to "explain" any gaps longer than one month, too. I have no idea what they do with the information or to what degree they care about your answer, but it would be worth finding out.

Also, since the OP mentioned inpatient--many inpatient jobs want to know if you've done inpatient in the past year. Once it's been more than a year, I don't know how you get your foot back in the inpatient door. One option might be to moonlight 1 weekend per month on an inpatient unit.