Full time faculty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted721052

Hello,

I'm entering perio residency this coming summer and very slowly starting to think about what will be next in 3 years.
I'm kinda interested in a career as a full time professor in a dental faculty (with a PP part time on the side). BUT i have a few questions:

1) when is it best to start at a school? as soon as graduate (given you can find a position)? or after a few/multiple years of practice?
2) beside salary, why aren't faculty positions more popular? i feel like there is something i'm not getting as to why people aren't doing it. it seems like a sweet gig. prof at my dental school were paid $175k and all worked PP as well so salary isn't too bad (for reference, i will be graduating residency with $150k of student loans)
3) what can i expect with work load? how much % of a week is spent teaching, being in clinic with students, doing research? how many weeks of vacations can i expect?

I would love opinion, or just general experiences, of people who are working or worked as a faculty member :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user