Full-time student/Full-time Employee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KornKobs

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So are any of you working full-time and going to school full-time? Right now I work at a hospital and i'm part-time, but going to school full-time with 18 credits this fall. Well, I recently applied for a different position here that pays more..and it is fulltime as well..but on night shift. and the thing is, with my schedule this semester, I have so much free time in the afternoon, I figured that I could sleep a few hours during the day/study/classes..and probably have like two or three nights off a week (I'll see if I can work weekends). I'm just not sure how intense it will be. It is pretty slow on the floor that I'm applying to, and it's just front desk, could probably bring homework there. any thoughts? is this a bad idea? :confused: one plus for working fulltime is that I'll get $2000 that I could put toward my tuition (or whatever)..you get $1000 for parttime. ah, I'm not sure what to do!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a fulltime FA (which is like a PA) in vascular and general surgery. Depending on the week, I work anywhere from 45-85 hours a week. I'm taking 13 credits this fall.

It really depends on what downtime you have. At my job, I can't count on any downtime at all... I'm busy every minute I'm there. Since you're a front desk worker, I agree that you could probably get away with bringing your books to work. If you can't find time to study while working, then no, I definitely wouldn't do it, simply because either your grades or your life will suffer (or both; you'll probably just burn out after a month if it ends up being too much). I'm a person who needs to be kept very busy to be at the top of my game, but there's still a limit. If all you do is go to class, study, work, and sleep, you'll go nuts.

Aside from whether your could handle it, I also wouldn't suggest doing it just because you can. There are probably more productive things you could be doing than working, even if it is at a hospital. My scholarships only cover tuition, but despite that, I still take a loan so I don't have to work enough to fully cover my rent, food, and books, because there are other constructive things I'd rather be doing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Full time student (12 credits)
2 Jobs: One for about 30 hours/week the other 15.

I feel your pain

I worked 40-50 hrs per week and took 18 credit hrs a couple of semesters ago. It's doable.

I work Fri, Sat, Sun nights (12 hour shifts) as a nurse. I've done it since going back to school. I always take 15-18 credit hours. It can be done, as long as you can handle being awake for long hours and living on cat naps a couple of days a week.

Rena

Thanks all for the input. I haven't even gotten the job yet..but I just wanted to see if others were doing this. I think it'll be easy (the work) and I already know what it's like working nights bc I do that on weekends only. It's pretty slow, i'm sure I'll get to take homework with me. I probably won't have much of a life outside of school, but i'm pretty much already like that anyways. Thanks again :)

I have worked pretty much 30 hours/week or more the entire time I've been in college, and for a lot of it around 45 hours a week. IT depends on how much downtime you have at work, and how well you can mange your time otherwise. It just sucks sometimes, because you can't always depend on work as a place to study, if you're freakishly busy the night before a big exam or something.