Full-tuition scholarship to a T20, but doesn't have a FM department

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpanishMusical

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been really fortunate to be accepted to a T20 med school with a full-tuition scholarship. I'm super excited about this, but there's one little snafu: the school doesn't have a family medicine department, and this is a specialty I am particularly interested in. How big of an issue is this? How would I go about getting experience with this field for residency apps? (Away rotations? Primary care rotations in the non-FM departments?) Would it hurt me to not have a FM doc to write me a letter?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I've been really fortunate to be accepted to a T20 med school with a full-tuition scholarship. I'm super excited about this, but there's one little snafu: the school doesn't have a family medicine department, and this is a specialty I am particularly interested in. How big of an issue is this? How would I go about getting experience with this field for residency apps? (Away rotations? Primary care rotations in the non-FM departments?) Would it hurt me to not have a FM doc to write me a letter?
You can definitely do away rotations !!! Not even an issue !!! Take the full ride to T20!!!! It’s a huge accomplishment. Congratulations!!!!

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not a problem, you'll be able to match FM. Take that s***.

Reactions: 3 users
Family medicine is one of the easiest specialties to match in. It won't hurt you a bit.

Also, Doesn’t Family Medicine pretty much = IM + Peds + Gyn + Psych
If you focus on those clinical, I doubt any FM matching issues, plus ability to do away rotations.

Thanks everyone, this makes me feel better. For letters of rec for residency, do they have to be from an FM doc, or would IM/Peds/Psych etc. be sufficient? Also, how would subI's work? Just do one in peds/im?

Thanks everyone, this makes me feel better. For letters of rec for residency, do they have to be from an FM doc, or would IM/Peds/Psych etc. be sufficient? Also, how would subI's work? Just do one in peds/im?

Honestly, does the school you got into have FM on their match list? If so, don't worry about any of this for now. You will be briefed on it all come MS3 year. Just enjoy your acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, does the school you got into have FM on their match list? If so, don't worry about any of this for now. You will be briefed on it all come MS3 year. Just enjoy your acceptance.
Don't know why this didn't occur to me, but I just checked it out and it all looks good. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: 2 users