Full year of Pre-reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ixam26

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-traditional applicant hoping to apply next fall. I have just completed my psychology degree and have taken bio1, phys1, calc 1, chem1&2 over the past few summers. I am taking ochem 1 next semester in the spring and plan to take ochem 2 in the fall. My question is if it is absolutely necessary for me to take the second portion of bio and physics. I could maybe squeeze them in but with a job and mcat courses it seems like a hassle. My top schools (UCSD and NYU) don't have a hard requirement, but would this disqualify me from a lot of schools even though I have a completed B.S.?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a non-traditional applicant hoping to apply next fall. I have just completed my psychology degree and have taken bio1, phys1, calc 1, chem1&2 over the past few summers. I am taking ochem 1 next semester in the spring and plan to take ochem 2 in the fall. My question is if it is absolutely necessary for me to take the second portion of bio and physics. I could maybe squeeze them in but with a job and mcat courses it seems like a hassle. My top schools (UCSD and NYU) don't have a hard requirement, but would this disqualify me from a lot of schools even though I have a completed B.S.?

You can check MSAR. It would disqualify you from a lot of schools. Also when a school puts recommend, it is similar to required because they have enough applicants that have all required and recommended course work completed. Same is true about a fall time application, schools say it has no impact but in reality applying early helps a lot. Given the load you have, I’m not sure there is a better option for you though. You can also put that you will be taking future course work when you apply. You have next fall and spring semesters to complete course work. Some schools start late enough that you can also do course work in summer semester too.

Reactions: 1 users
it's less about disqualification, more about preparation.

you're not mentioning your GPA. If you have a 3.7+, particularly in the prereq courses you've already taken, then you might be ok to take a liberty or two. If you have a 3.7+ then there's some basis to expect success in the harder coursework, which is all ahead of you.

you need mastery of the content in the prereqs to be ready for med school. you need mastery of the content to do well on the MCAT. if you don't take the prereqs, it's hard to claim you've mastered the content.

meanwhile, getting in is not the hard part. you use the word "hassle" as if you get to vote on how med school admission works. premed "hassles" are teensy compared to what you run into in the next 7-10+ years of training. if it's unacceptable to you to have to do things that you don't think should be necessary, you will loathe the 7-10+ year process of med ed. your job in med school and in residency is to overcome obstacles that are placed in front of you. exactly nobody cares about your opinion of the obstacles.

you should have a plan for applying to med school that has you producing the most complete and competitive app you can possibly produce by June in the year of application. cut corners at your peril. the USMD rejection rate is 60%.

best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users

As of right now most schools require physics 1 and 2 as well as Bio 1, 2, and 3 (or biochem/cell bio). It’s better to be safe than sorry. You might have top choice schools that would allow you to apply without them, but you don’t want to limit yourself. Casting a wide net and applying broadly is a tested and true method for obtaining a seat, unless you have stellar stats and can be ultra choosey.