Fun fact about you? Interview question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1058524

I got braces as an adult a couple years ago.

I had 8 teeth removed (including my 4 wisdom teeth) all at once.

orrrr should I be normal and go with "I went on a solo road trip during college and traveled 7 states in 5 days "

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Second one is a better choice...people love travelers!! Road trips are fascinating, be sure to share what perspectives you gained!

my fun fact that I mentioned, was the story of breaking a world record as a child, from my initial motivation to how it affected my community (not saying what it was, that would dox myself)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Fun facts are the most stressful part of meet-and-greets/interview days. After experimenting with different fun facts for years I can never nail down a solid one. :(

Reactions: 2 users
Fun facts are the most stressful part of meet-and-greets/interview days. After experimenting with different fun facts for years I can never nail down a solid one. :(
I just say whatever BS comes to mind, never really gets a positive reaction but I could care less. But we shouldn't be doing "fun facts" as adults. Rather just say where I'm from, studied, and some hobbies. Pisses me off

Fun facts show introspection and who is comfortable in their own skin. Everyone has something unique about themselves that even their best friends don't know about. It should be fun. I tell applicants that if you are not fun, you can go to school XYZ. We only want fun people. Of course that's not true, but it makes them become more reflective as I notice them reconsidering their pre planned answers to this question. I can almost see them asking themselves if their answer is fun or not.This is how I use this question.

I just say whatever BS comes to mind, never really gets a positive reaction but I could care less. But we shouldn't be doing "fun facts" as adults. Rather just say where I'm from, studied, and some hobbies. Pisses me off
I experiment a ton but I rarely get positive reactions! Except for my latest interview where it flopped so hard that it made the director of admissions chuckle (likely out of pity).

I enjoy reading in the car because my mom used to take my sister and I on long car rides whenever she completed errands. A few years ago, during my study abroad program, I opened a novel and started reading while in the passenger seat during a four hour drive. Ten minutes into reading I look back and two other passengers were looking at me in amazement. They said “How can you do that without getting motion sickness?!??”

😂 After this happened I had assumed that my childhood car-ride reading habit had honed some incredible ability.

So fast forward a few years and I recall this detail about myself while everyone starts naming their fun facts. Once it gets to me I blurt out “I can read in the car!!” The call goes awkwardly silent. Every single other individual on the call starts chiming in that they, too, can read in the car and that it isn’t super rare. The director chuckles and tells me “I think its great that you can read in the car!” before moving on.

Definitely not mentioning that fact again.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
i had no idea so much thought went into fun facts lol

Reactions: 1 user
I experiment a ton but I rarely get positive reactions! Except for my latest interview where it flopped so hard that it made the director of admissions chuckle (likely out of pity).

I enjoy reading in the car because my mom used to take my sister and I on long car rides whenever she completed errands. A few years ago, during my study abroad program, I opened a novel and started reading while in the passenger seat during a four hour drive. Ten minutes into reading I look back and two other passengers were looking at me in amazement. They said “How can you do that without getting motion sickness?!??”

😂 After this happened I had assumed that my childhood car-ride reading habit had honed some incredible ability.

So fast forward a few years and I recall this detail about myself while everyone starts naming their fun facts. Once it gets to me I blurt out “I can read in the car!!” The call goes awkwardly silent. Every single other individual on the call starts chiming in that they, too, can read in the car and that it isn’t super rare. The director chuckles and tells me “I think its great that you can read in the car!” before moving on.

Definitely not mentioning that fact again.
That's why I stopped caring. Too much of a hassle for something that should've stopped being asked in middle school.

• Haha
That's why I stopped caring. Too much of a hassle for something that should've stopped being asked in middle school.
You would be surprised how many get the " constipated look" on their face when I ask that question. Remember, we are trying to get an understanding about whether we would want you to be our doctor. Connecting with people, projecting warmth, maybe some humor, are all part of a good interview.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
LOL this question is actually used to judge our candidacy?

You would be surprised how many get the " constipated look" on their face when I ask that question. Remember, we are trying to get an understanding about whether we would want you to be our doctor. Connecting with people, projecting warmth, maybe some humor, are all part of a good interview.
Yeah, there are enough academic robots in med school.

If you were applying to dental school I’d go with the teeth story...
But since you’re not, the road trip one for sure

This reminds me of when an ice breaker question for faculty at a meet and greet was "the name of a scary movie you saw as a child" My response, "The Sound of Music". Hilarity ensued. (But that scene at the end in the abbey graveyard with the Nazis is scary!)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users