Functional neuroimaging: where do I start reading?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDchouette

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know next to nothing about functional neuroimaging. Any recommendations about where to start reading? This seems to be where much of research is these days, and I'd like to be able to understand the studies better.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

Not quite answering your question, but I've had thoughts about this for neuroradiology in general, and some good intro texts. Here's what I've come up with, though I'd love to hear suggestions from anyone specializing in this area.

Brain Imaging: Case Review Series
by Laurie A. Loevner

Neuroradiology:​ The Requisites (Requisites in Radiology)
by Robert I. Grossman

Essentials of Neuroimaging for Clinical Practice
by Darin D. Dougherty

Are you looking to just understand the studies better or actually learning the basics of fMRI? IMO, in order to really understand fMRI, you have to sit down and learn some basic principles including statistical measures and, if possible, get involved in some studies. Otherwise, you could try to find someone in your program to help you go through papers?

I'm starting to do some fMRI research and the learning curve is very steep. This is the book that I'm reading:

Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Second Edition [Hardcover]
Scott A. Huettel

http://www.amazon.com/Functional-Magnetic-Resonance-Imaging-Second/dp/0878932860/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

I think it is very well written...But it's the only fMRI book I've read, so it's hard to know how it compares.

Good luck!