Do I need to complete Medicare Provider Enrollment Application?

Started by Ironspy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ironspy

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am no longer working at a place that accepts Medicare but don’t want to opt out yet. I just got a request to complete this application. Any consequences to ignoring it?
 
If you want to accept medicare as a participating provider then you need to complete it. You will be a non-participating provider if you don’t. That means you can charge patients 115% of the Medicare limiting charge but have to file claims with Medicare for them to be reimubursed. Or you can file claims for remittance from Medicare but only entitled to 95% of the 80% Medicare would pay.
 
A follow-up question: it's been years since I worked anywhere that was medicare-related. I haven't filled out any forms or even really know where to do so to officially opt out, or to re-enroll or confirm any details of myself or my practice to CMS. How would I go about ensuring I am able to just bill medicare patients as regular private pay?
 
A follow-up question: it's been years since I worked anywhere that was medicare-related. I haven't filled out any forms or even really know where to do so to officially opt out, or to re-enroll or confirm any details of myself or my practice to CMS. How would I go about ensuring I am able to just bill medicare patients as regular private pay?
if you want to be a participating provider you need to go to PECOS, update your information, complete the relevant forms and then submit them to your local MAC.

If you want to opt out (which is what it sounds like you are asking) - you need to complete the Medicare Opt Out form (it will be on the local MAC website - you need to complete the one for your region) and mail it back to medicare. If you are a participating provider you can only do this quarterly, if you are non-part, you can opt out at any time. And then you need to have all medicare beneficiaries sign a private contract with you explaining you are opted out and they aren't eligible for reimbursement.