DentalSpouse

10+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
How are people getting loans? As per my understanding the permanent residents can apply for federal loans through FAFSA and the visa students can go to private institutions. I am not sure if federal aid is sufficient for schools like UOP where the fees is higher. What are the other alternatives people are exploring?:confused:

Marlboro Lights

10+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2008
Status (Visible)
How are people getting loans? As per my understanding the permanent residents can apply for federal loans through FAFSA and the visa students can go to private institutions. I am not sure if federal aid is sufficient for schools like UOP where the fees is higher. What are the other alternatives people are exploring?:confused:

did u get into UOP....

About the Ads

dagu123

LLU Class of 2011.
10+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
to my knowledge, if u have green card then u can apply for the federal loans. FAFSA and federal stafford will give you some amount of your expense, and the remaining amount u can get by a federal PLUS loan. federal plus loans donot have any limit, but u shud have applied first for the stafford loans. i mean PLUS loans are only in addition to stafford and FAFSA> u cannot directly ask for the PLUS loans for the entire payment.

if u donot have green card, the only option is private loans.

DentalSpouse

10+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
to my knowledge, if u have green card then u can apply for the federal loans. FAFSA and federal stafford will give you some amount of your expense, and the remaining amount u can get by a federal PLUS loan. federal plus loans donot have any limit, but u shud have applied first for the stafford loans. i mean PLUS loans are only in addition to stafford and FAFSA> u cannot directly ask for the PLUS loans for the entire payment.

if u donot have green card, the only option is private loans.

Thanks for the information. Is FAFSA+Federal Stafford+Federal Plus sufficient to meet the expenses and tuition or I need to supplement it with private loans?

kilani

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2005
Virginia
www.foreigntraineddentists.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Thanks for the information. Is FAFSA+Federal Stafford+Federal Plus sufficient to meet the expenses and tuition or I need to supplement it with private loans?

My Stafford and GradPlus loans were enough to cover all of my expenses while I was at Pacific, tuition, fees, and living expenses. So, if you are eligible for federal loans, you should not need any private loans.

dagu123

LLU Class of 2011.
10+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
yes, i agree with kilani.
fafsa + federal stafford + federal PLUS is sufficiant for all fees. u need not go for private loans. federal plus can get u all the fees left after taking federal stafford. plus loan does not have any limit as far as i know. only thing is that it has little more interest rate - 8%. instead of the stafford rate of 6.8%.

PS. i recently came to know that FAFSA is only for bachelor program. students in professional programs like dentistry are not eligible for FAFSA.

Kilani, can u please give some information in this matter?? were u able to take fafsa?? thank you very much for any input..

kilani

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2005
Virginia
www.foreigntraineddentists.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
yes, i agree with kilani.
fafsa + federal stafford + federal PLUS is sufficiant for all fees. u need not go for private loans. federal plus can get u all the fees left after taking federal stafford. plus loan does not have any limit as far as i know. only thing is that it has little more interest rate - 8%. instead of the stafford rate of 6.8%.

PS. i recently came to know that FAFSA is only for bachelor program. students in professional programs like dentistry are not eligible for FAFSA.

Kilani, can u please give some information in this matter?? were u able to take fafsa?? thank you very much for any input..

Sure, FAFSA is actually not a loan, it's the application process itself (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) that you have to go through to apply for and obtain federal loans (Stafford, GradPlus, etc).

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.