Funding for international students in medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kwame

[email protected]
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
I want to start a thread to discuss funding ideas for international students. I need all of us to put our thinking caps on and share ideas on how an International student can raise funds for medical school. Has anyone had success with loans and a co-signer, or scholarships offered by the schools or private ones, financial aid..
Share ideas. I await your contributions to this topic.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to apply for loans with a co-signer tomorrow hopefully, so I'll let you know what happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
kwame said:
hey guys,
I want to start a thread to discuss funding ideas for international students. I need all of us to put our thinking caps on and share ideas on how an International student can raise funds for medical school. Has anyone had success with loans and a co-signer, or scholarships offered by the schools or private ones, financial aid..
Share ideas. I await your contributions to this topic.

A query...

are you interested in International students getting funding for training in US medical schools

or

funding for those attending school outside of the US?

Kimberli Cox said:
A query...

are you interested in International students getting funding for training in US medical schools

or

funding for those attending school outside of the US?

I am referring to..
International students studying in the United states with an F1 visa .. getting funding to attend US medical schools after having attended undergraduate in US university

Problem is, on an F-1 you need to prove you have the cash to USCIS to get the visa. Catch- 22

Bank of Nova Scotia or Royal Bank of Canada used to advertise a loan progam for professionals-in training who where attending professional school in the US. I remember reading the brochure. If you have a branch of one of these banks in your counry, ask them.

sunnyjohn said:
Problem is, on an F-1 you need to prove you have the cash to USCIS to get the visa. Catch- 22

Bank of Nova Scotia or Royal Bank of Canada used to advertise a loan progam for professionals-in training who where attending professional school in the US. I remember reading the brochure. If you have a branch of one of these banks in your counry, asks them.

I know that if you have someone who's a legal resident of the United States and has a good credit, they could co-sign for a loan towards an international student's med. education. This's when that student is already in the states though, to the best of my knowledge. I know this guy who's finishing his residency as an ER physician and used this route.

Best of luck

Gentle said:
I know that if you have someone who's a legal resident of the United States and has a good credit, they could co-sign for a loan towards an international student's med. education. This's when that student is already in the states though, to the best of my knowledge. I know this guy who's finishing his residency as an ER physician and used this route.

Best of luck

I've done a lot of searching and this is pretty much the only option, if you're not a permanent resident. I only wish I knew someone with a good enough credit and willing to take a hit on their credit for me. :(

yeah the situation basically sucks.
I'm an international applicant applying for entry in 2006.
But i believe that there are some lenders who lend without a co-signer. I need to do some research though..of course the rates and terms are prolly bad. There's a company called IEFC (International Education Funding Corps) I beleive that lends to internationals..not sure if you need a cosigner. check it out.

mellomd said:
But i believe that there are some lenders who lend without a co-signer. I need to do some research though..of course the rates and terms are prolly bad. There's a company called IEFC (International Education Funding Corps) I beleive that lends to internationals..not sure if you need a cosigner. check it out.
I will, thanks

Might anyone be aware of medical schools that are popular for merit scholarships or any other scholarships irrespective of citizenship status ?

gracias,

mellomd said:

Did a search for you guys. Its called the International Education Finance Corporation. They do require a Cosigner for International students.

Canadians are able to make use of the service without a cosigner (CANHELP)

Here is the link: http://www.iefc.com

sunnyjohn said:
Did a search for you guys. Its called the International Education Finance Corporation. They do require a Cosigner for International students.

Canadians are able to make use of the service without a cosigner (CANHELP)

Here is the link: http://www.iefc.com

Citi-Assist provides loans to international students who have good credit rating and have lived in the US for a period of time. No cosigner needed. Check it out.

Dr.Islet said:
Citi-Assist provides loans to international students who have good credit rating and have lived in the US for a period of time. No cosigner needed. Check it out.

thank you for this resource..

For American students who are studying medicine and other subjects overseas, this seems to be the best option that I can find - no origination fees, low interest rates, etc.

www.studentloaninternational.com

Hope it helps.

hey guys

i know that this is questions about funding, but have any of you (international students) been accepted to any medical school?

Don't they require proof of financial support first?

I am in the same situation. How much of a chance is there for us regarding admission, financial issues and etc..

If any one has gotten in medical school, plesae help others with how they did it?

Thanks

arminshivazad said:
hey guys

i know that this is questions about funding, but have any of you (international students) been accepted to any medical school?

Don't they require proof of financial support first?

I am in the same situation. How much of a chance is there for us regarding admission, financial issues and etc..

If any one has gotten in medical school, plesae help others with how they did it?

Thanks

Hi,

I applied to the Irish medical schools through The Atlantic Bridge Program www.atlanticbridge.com and was accepted. They did not require proof of financial support first because they already know that there is sufficient financing available to students going to Ireland from Canada and American through student loans, etc. If your application is good enough, they will make you an offer and with your offer letter they will send you applications for the financial aid they know you are eligible for. That was how I found out about www.studentloaninternational.com

Amy

How about loans for an international student, attending an offshore MS, with a US citizen as a co-signer? I've already checked in the IEFC site, but my school is not eligible. :thumbdown: