Funding my education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deepa100

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, now I am getting the hang of this interviewing thing and relatively more sure of what I need in a school.

I will be putting down my deposit at one school, even though I have a few other interviews. Does this mean I can get started with the FAFSA? Forgive my ignorance, I am from India and never used loans before.

Also, what is the time line for the rural forgiveness programs? When I do I apply?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, now I am getting the hang of this interviewing thing and relatively more sure of what I need in a school.

I will be putting down my deposit at one school, even though I have a few other interviews. Does this mean I can get started with the FAFSA? Forgive my ignorance, I am from India and never used loans before.

Also, what is the time line for the rural forgiveness programs? When I do I apply?
Thanks!

The FAFSA doesn't confine you to a single school. Just list any school at which you could end up, including wherever you're currently accepted. Now, play nice with the financial aid office: make sure that you only have one active school at a time, so if you get accepted at another school and drop the first one, close out the first one's financial aid office by getting on the phone and sending signed postal letters to both schools' financial aid offices so that the first school doesn't block you from financial aid at the second. Listing a school on FAFSA does nothing until that school has you listed as accepted and that financial aid office starts processing you.

Forgiveness programs are for after you graduate, so you probably don't have to think about that yet. Scholarship programs (in public service/reservations/underserved) have apps due before you matriculate. There's at least one forum here for public health service scholarship/forgiveness programs. Also look up programs in the state where you're likely to practice. I vaguely remember seeing deadlines in March, so now's a good time to dig in.

Lastly, here's a great blog on rural practice: http://www.ruraldoctoring.com/