MS in Medical Education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlainDaniel

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you heard of a MS in Medical Education?

NSU seems to be the only school that offers it for BS degree holders (or above) Harvard and Upenn offer it but only for physicians. LECOM also offers it but only for physicians and Med students. This is NOT a bridge MS program where you take some of the first-year med classes to prove your competitiveness. This MS prepares you for a position in academic medicine. You don’t need an MS in Med Ed to teach medicine, but I really have a passion for teaching and want to be equipped to the best of my abilities when the time comes. These programs seem to prepare candidates for respectable positions among residency train programs. Ultimately, I would like to work training residents.

Have you heard of these programs? Do you guys know someone who as completed them and wants to share their experience? I will appreciate any input. Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

These programs (largely) exclude those without clinical experience because the content will have little context.
You will have a much better idea which program suits your aspirations after residency.
Thanks for the response Gyn! I have almost 2 years of clinical experience as a leader medical assistant/scribe at a busy dermatology company. I also work with attendings and Derm residents PGY2-PGY4. . I don't have much access/time to engage on their didactic training but I spent all day long going from room to room and working one on one with them during surgeries, cosmetic treatments, general skin concerns, seen how they discuss treatments options with attendings and participating on the feed back they receive from attendings.

I am applying to medical school this coming June so I just want to know if anyone as completed this MS Med Education and has any inputs. I just want to know if anyone who has done this MS can share their experience. I am just curios to hear a first hand experience.
Thanks again for your generosity !

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not useful unless you have completed medical training IMO. If you want to know about curriculum development and assessment to teach and develop case studies or clerkship assessments for accreditation, go for it. There are med education publications so look at a few articles, but most of the authors don't have this credential. I can count how many people pursue this as med school applicants... zero from my perspective.

It's not useful unless you have completed medical training IMO. If you want to know about curriculum development and assessment to teach and develop case studies or clerkship assessments for accreditation, go for it. There are med education publications so look at a few articles, but most of the authors don't have this credential. I can count how many people pursue this as med school applicants... zero from my perspective.
Thanks Mr.Smile! Yes you are right. We don't see much info about it. Maybe one or two pre-meds have done it but we don't hear much form it. I just found out about these programs so that's the reason of my question.

Whether a pre-med, attending physician, or current med-student I just want to know if anyone has done it or knows someone who did it and they want to hare their perspective. This is out of pure curiosity. I just want to hear from an actual student given that we don't find much first hand info online.

Thanks again Mr.Smile!

Last edited:
Thanks Mr.Smile! Yes you are right. We don't see much info about it. Maybe one or two pre-meds have done it but we don't hear much form it. I just found out about these programs so that's the reason of my question.

Whether a pre-med, attending physician, or current med-student I just want to know if anyone has done it or knows someone who did it and they want to hare their perspective. This is out of pure curiosity. I just want to hear from a actual students given that we don't find much first hand info online.

Thanks again Mr.Smile!
Certainly the ones I know who took advantage are junior faculty. :)