Funding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yikes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm applying to McGill and they require you to show that you are looking for outside sources of funding. I've been searching all over (fastweb, apa site etc.) and can't find anything for students who are not yet in grad school. Anyone else in the same situation and/or have recommendations on where to look.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you Canadian? SSHRC or NSERC would be your source, but I'm pretty sure this year's deadline just passed.

Yeah, SSHRC, NSERC, (or CIHR) are all options for you right now if you're a) Canadian and b) are not currently in any university. But if you are Canadian and currently attending a university, the internal deadline just passed.

If you're American, I have no idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm not canadian. i'm totally stumped!

Well NSF is an option, but the deadline is Tuesday so I doubt it's possible.

Would FAFSA count? Can Americans (assuming you are one) get federal aid to attend foreign universities? If not, can Americans apply to the Canadian version of FAFSA? I don't know the answer to these questions, but I would think that filling out the FAFSA would count as applying for outside aid for American universities....of course, you can't really fill out the FAFSA until you know your annual income for 2007, so I don't know what to tell you.

i googled nsf, it seems like it's for people already enrolled and it also says it's to increase knowledge in the US so i don't know if going to school in canada would work.

I think people can apply for NSF as a senior in college, but it doesn't make that much sense because you have no idea where you are going. And it is a US government thing, but I don't see why this would hurt you for McGill. You could at least say you looked into other options even if you didn't apply for anything.

Hi yikes,

I am also applying to McGill, and have also not applied for any funding. I strongly doubt that most candidates will have applied before they even got in (although I may be wrong... anyone else knows?).

Anyway, that's what I'll put down. From what I've read in the Insider's Guide, McGill offers assistantships but no tuition remission. They must have some students who have no research funding and do like all other students: take out loans!

Good luck with everything. I have so much left to do in the upcoming month!

Most Canadian undergrads apply for SSHRC (or NSERC or CIHR) in their last year in anticipation of acceptance into graduate school. That's not to say that they all get it, but many applicants to McGill will have applied.

i'm not as worried about the money (esp since they just made it so that out of country grad students pay canadian tuition) as not having anything to list. oh well i'll have to figure that most us citizens are in the same boat. thanks for the advice.

They just want you to show you're *looking* at funding? Can you just go and find some awards you *could* apply for next year??

Hmm i'm not sure, but that's a good idea.