Funding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

socialepi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Harvard sent out links to their fin. aid form. There were a number of scholarships. You had to check your eligibility and apply accordingly.

Columbia webpage says 'Fin Aid Form- COMING SOON'.

That's the little I know. More inputs would be welcome.

OK so this was mentioned before, but how do you know that Columbia's releasing it's scholarship thing next month? Is it the leadership addendum we filled out with our app?

Also, does any one know about the US Public Health Traineeship and how it works? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
When I spoke to UMich two weeks ago, they had already given out the first round of scholarships, and they were going to determine the second round soon.

Music- Thanks for the info about Michigan.

Do you know if money is given by department?
They are pretty expensive and a scholarship would definitely make them more appealing. :rolleyes:

As for UW- From what I understand all of the money comes from RA positions. I started my reach out emails last week and everyone who has gotten back to me has been really nice, but doesn't have any RA spots available for next fall.
However I did learn that you can qualify for UW instate tuition after ONE year!! Which cuts tuition significantly. AND if you do get an RA position during your first year- you can pay instate + a stipend. Sounds like a really nice deal!:oops:

Music- Thanks for the info about Michigan.

Do you know if money is given by department?
They are pretty expensive and a scholarship would definitely make them more appealing.

As for UW- From what I understand all of the money comes from RA positions. I started my reach out emails last week and everyone who has gotten back to me has been really nice, but doesn't have any RA spots available for next fall.
However I did learn that you can qualify for UW instate tuition after ONE year!! Which cuts tuition significantly. AND if you do get an RA position during your first year- you can pay instate + a stipend. Sounds like a really nice deal!

Thanks for the info on UW. I spoke to a current student last night and she said that she doesn't know any first years who were able to get RA-ships by writing to profs/meeting with them during visit days. She said that while the visit day is cast as a chance to secure funding, more realistically, it is simply a chance for you to talk to professors and get a feel for the school. If you approach the visit day with this goal in mind, you'll probably come out of the experience feeling much more accomplished. Don’t be discouraged by this though – she mentioned that she, along with about half of her cohort, did eventually manage to find paid research positions and said that by the second year your chances are much better and you’ll be paying in-state tuition (like you mentioned).

As for Michigan, adding what Music write, I was contacted by a Michigan prof last night about a Dean’s scholarship that would cover part of my out-of state tuition. On Michigan’s website they say:
“The admissions committees of each department identify potential award recipients; however, the Dean's Office ultimately offers these awards to selected students.”
But they also say: “Some departments award a limited number of named scholarships to students possessing evidence of outstanding contributions to a specific field of study.”
So I think there are still department scholarships to be had.

Congrats, socialepi! I just received the same phone call. I'm so excited! :D

Does that mean Michigan is in Music's future? :)

Does that mean Michigan is in Music's future? :)
Perhaps! It does mean that I'm definitely attending their visit day.

Financial Aid packages:
UMich--after mid March
Emory--after April 1
BU--after March
UPitt--after May

Perhaps! It does mean that I'm definitely attending their visit day.

Financial Aid packages:
UMich--after mid March
Emory--after April 1
BU--after March
UPitt--after May

Congrats to you too Music! So I guess I'll be seeing you there....?

Apparently Emory has already notified the scholarship recipients.

GW will be annoucing scholarships sometime this month.

What about Hopkins scholarships for mph students.Have they contacted the recipients yet?

Thanks for the info on UW. I spoke to a current student last night and she said that she doesn't know any first years who were able to get RA-ships by writing to profs/meeting with them during visit days. She said that while the visit day is cast as a chance to secure funding, more realistically, it is simply a chance for you to talk to professors and get a feel for the school. If you approach the visit day with this goal in mind, you'll probably come out of the experience feeling much more accomplished. Don’t be discouraged by this though – she mentioned that she, along with about half of her cohort, did eventually manage to find paid research positions and said that by the second year your chances are much better and you’ll be paying in-state tuition (like you mentioned).

As for Michigan, adding what Music write, I was contacted by a Michigan prof last night about a Dean’s scholarship that would cover part of my out-of state tuition. On Michigan’s website they say:
“The admissions committees of each department identify potential award recipients; however, the Dean's Office ultimately offers these awards to selected students.”
But they also say: “Some departments award a limited number of named scholarships to students possessing evidence of outstanding contributions to a specific field of study.”
So I think there are still department scholarships to be had.

Yeah, each department has a "budget" for scholarships. When I visited Michigan recently they said that they will be given out BEFORE April 15th (When we have to decide what school we attend). From what I gather it depends on department but they have two groups of scholarships from each department, one bunch for out of state and the other for in-state. There are very few "full" scholarships, and there are halves and quarters, but how they divide it is up to them like they can put two quarters and make it a half. They should send them soon...or at least I hope they do...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just thought I would let you all know that I recieved financial aid information from Michigan late last week. I got some work study (in the range of $3k) but the rest of the aid was in the form of loans and more than half of those loans are unsubidized.

Just thought I would let you all know that I recieved financial aid information from Michigan late last week. I got some work study (in the range of $3k) but the rest of the aid was in the form of loans and more than half of those loans are unsubidized.

Was this financial aid through the department you were admitted to or the school-wide one?

I am hoping HBHE is soon but they said faculty died recently so they are behind on stuff.

Did you get an email or letter about it, or did you just check Wolverine Access?

I called financial aid on Monday and they said they're still processing FAFSA forms...

For any of the Mich scholarship folks, did you just get a phone call and email, or also an official letter in the mail?

Did you get an email or letter about it, or did you just check Wolverine Access?

I called financial aid on Monday and they said they're still processing FAFSA forms...

For any of the Mich scholarship folks, did you just get a phone call and email, or also an official letter in the mail?

I got an e-mail from Michigan telling me to check wolverine.

edit: In terms of the scholarship, I got an e-mail last week or so formally telling me about the funding.

Last edited:
A letter in the mail? (I've only gotten an email)

I didn't get any email notifications...but I just checked wolverine access on a whim and my aid summary was available. Looks like what socialepi described: roughly $3,000 in work/study, the rest is loans. I'm still hoping to hear something about scholarships.

Has anyone admitted to Michigan HBHE heard about scholarships? I'm losing hope. I'm almost wondering if I should improve my GRE Q score and reapply next year, since this is really the only weakness in my application. Maybe then I'd have a better shot at some of these scholarships.

Has anyone admitted to Michigan HBHE heard about scholarships? I'm losing hope. I'm almost wondering if I should improve my GRE Q score and reapply next year, since this is really the only weakness in my application. Maybe then I'd have a better shot at some of these scholarships.

I am waiting for the exact same info for the same program at Michigan.
I haven't even seen anything on my wolverine site AT ALL.

I know their dept. scholarships are primarily merit-based, but scholarships are hard to come by there to begin with due to limitation. They are a little behind in general. I am getting anxious. Being out of state, I would really like to have funding as it significantly affects where I go!

Ok...this kinda makes sense now.

I am in at Michigan HBHE and have an interview for HPM. I got my FAFSA in and got an aid package made up of loans/work study. Now I was worried a little bit by that but it seems like I should still be waiting to hear from deaprtments?

I mean I'm not even actually accepted to HPM yet and my interview isn't until March 25th so I assume I wouldn't be able to hear anything about departmental grants/scholarships until I actually got into the department...right? I also assume the HBHE just hasn't given out departmental awards yet?

That would make me happy.

Ok...this kinda makes sense now.

I am in at Michigan HBHE and have an interview for HPM. I got my FAFSA in and got an aid package made up of loans/work study. Now I was worried a little bit by that but it seems like I should still be waiting to hear from deaprtments?

I mean I'm not even actually accepted to HPM yet and my interview isn't until March 25th so I assume I wouldn't be able to hear anything about departmental grants/scholarships until I actually got into the department...right? I also assume the HBHE just hasn't given out departmental awards yet?

That would make me happy.

Well I just e-mailed the departmental coordinator earlier today so hopefully she'll let me know if they've sent them out yet. I don't believe they'll tell anybody if they do NOT receive a scholarship though.

Fingers crossed they haven't sent them out yet. This would make me happy, too. I'm also out of state, so the funding makes a huge difference. I've applied for some GSI positions, as well, but I feel like I'm at a disadvantage because I'm a first-year, prospective student with limited teaching experience.

Do loans (unsubsidized or subsidized) get the benefit from the IRS Tax Return (is it deductible or it is credit back?

I am not sure about while youre a student/while interest is accruing. When you start paying loans back you can claim up to 2500 a year in taxes on student loans. :)

Do loans (unsubsidized or subsidized) get the benefit from the IRS Tax Return (is it deductible or it is credit back?

You can deduct your student loan interest from your income, not your actual loans.

I got similar funding from UMich--$3k in work-study and 3/4 of my loans are unsubsidized.