Fundoscopy Lenses Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turosk

UNSW optometry, Syd, AUS
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi.

I was just wondering, whats the best Fundoscopy lens to get? i justed wanted to get one for general use, for dilated and undilated pupils.

Im just looking through the lens catalogues... ive only used the classic VOLK lenses before... the 60D 78D and 90D...

I do like the specs. on the VOLK superseries lenses, ...im leaning towards the Super VitreoFundus lens...

id love some comment if you have any experience with these lenses,

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Turosk said:
hi.

I was just wondering, whats the best Fundoscopy lens to get? i justed wanted to get one for general use, for dilated and undilated pupils.

Im just looking through the lens catalogues... ive only used the classic VOLK lenses before... the 60D 78D and 90D...

I do like the specs. on the VOLK superseries lenses, ...im leaning towards the Super VitreoFundus lens...

thanks.

Volk Superfiled - Like a 90D but a greater field of view. One of the best all around lenses around. If I had only one lens, this would be it.
Volk Super Vitreous Fundus Lenses - Great for undilated pupils with greater field of view but less magnification than above.
78D - Bes all around high magnfier lens.

POJO said:
Volk Superfiled - Like a 90D but a greater field of view. One of the best all around lenses around. If I had only one lens, this would be it.
I recently bought one of these to add to the 78D I already have. Love it. Great with undilated pupils, and makes a nice counterpart to the 78D's higher mag.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I can only have one lens, it would be the 90D. With the right technique and low mag , you can see all the way past the votrex and almost to the ora undilated, assuming you are not using the Haag Streit 900 where you only have two mag settings (I hate those slit lamps.). The 78D would be the next must have.

Turosk said:
hi.

thanks.

I found that the size of the Volk 78 D was easier to manage behind the slit lamp as compared to the 90 D especially when you are everting lids and throwing some mag down

I love my super66, which is similar to the 78D. FOV is a little more than with the 78, but you keep your view for a longer time. I also have the digitalfield, which is similar to the 90D...I believe some benefits are the high-definition coatings as well as the ability to evaluate the fundus undilated.

I personally use a 78 on dilated patients and a Superfield on non-dilated.

i'm thinking to getting another lens to add to my 90. anyone have opinions on the digital 1.0 or digital wide field?

edit... my main use for a new lens is on difficult px who can't keep their head still, keep it on the forehead rest, or keep their eye still. it seems that the super 66 would be a good choice, but how about the 78? or digital 1.0?