"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Right? One of my good friends just finished M1 at Harvard and I distinctly remember her sitting in the stairwell of our dorm sophomore year crying her eyes out because she bombed an O-chem midterm. I actually remember her saying (between sobs), "I don't even want to go to Harvard or Yale, I just want to go somewhere!"


I may be 2 pages late, but that girl just got her priorities in order.
 
What a lot of the recent threads on pre-allo sound like:

XcH7JpV.jpg


Brilliant!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This one is about me! When I was a Senior in high school, I called my state medical school admissions office to ask them which state university (both similarly ranked) I should go to to have the best chance of getting accepted! The woman on the phone just said "Um... We don't have a preference for undergraduate institution".
 
my friend: Hang out with us!
me: I got secondaries! Need to submit them or at least get a start on them
my friend: you're taking a year off! You have AN ENTIRE YEAR to work on them
me: I need to apply early to have the best chances of getting in
my friend: still, work on it later, you have AN ENTIRE YEAR...I'm not applying till September
me: ...

:slap:
 
So I had previously stated I wouldn't post any more comics in a discussion thread, but sadly, pictures are worth a thousand words (or in this case, several joke posts :naughty::naughty:)

Talked to a freshie pre-med yesterday. He asked me about how he can make up "cool ****" to tell adcoms.........
Tell him to tell us that "he's in it for the money only and doesn't like patients, because we appreciate brutal honesty".

Freshie premeds are a joy. Another example is this.

4eeacf2618613358b0003604.png

Plus few more relevant stuff for the older premeds and applicants 😉

3.bmp

Interview-1.png

Interview_comic-1.png

Credit to the makers of these rage comics as always (who happen to be current medical students) :clap::clap:
 
Friend: "I fall in the 10th percentile for this school's stats, so I'll just kill it in my personal statement and be fine!"

Same Friend: "I'm not going to apply to Instate schools, because I want to get away from (home) state."
Me: "Cool, so have you looked into schools that are more OOS friendly?"
Friend: "Nah, I'm not really worried about that."
Me:"......good luck."
 
One of my best friends from high school was talking to someone on her floor at her college about the fact that I and another one of our friends had taken CNA/EMT classes so that we could find clinical jobs. She goes to an out of state public university and this girl was from in state and literally said, "We don't do that in this state." Like lol, what? Apparently a bunch of these honors premed students at her school are just obsessed with research and don't seem to care at all about getting clinical experience at all...
 
Bumping this thread!

This is why searching on SDN always pays off

63h7.jpg

Plus some corny lines I was able to find and use somewhat effectively :naughty:
  • A 1.0 M solution walks into the bar and asks for a glass of water. The bartender asks, "Won't that break your concentration?"
  • Did you hear about the man who froze himself to absolute zero? He's 0K now.
  • Did you hear about the somatic cell that was in the Army? He was diploid there.
Last but not least, an old suggestion from one of our favorite SDNers.

Howdy everybody,

I am in the Pre Med Society at my university and it is my responsibility to come up with our t shirts for our members this year. People said they wanted something funny, like a far side cartoon or something, but I can't seem to come up with anything. Just post any idea that might even be remotely funny to you. I appreciate anyone and everyone's thoughts! :idea:

PS: I'm not sure if this will get moved to a different forum or not, but if so, then so be it 🙂
Krebs cycle printed up-side down on the front of the shirt so you can study while wearing it.
 
Quote from an Over-SDNed premed:

Me: Hey whats your school list look like?
Her: "Well I've applied to about 10 DO schools plus all the new med schools and some of the lower tiers. And all of my state schools. And some reaches...in total about 40 schools. I figure if I cast a wide net I should get some bites!"

"Her" is a girl with a LizzyM of almost 80 who has a first author pub and is captain of a varsity athletic team
 
My friend wants to go into neurosurgery

friend: I think im going to go to medical school in the Philippines because it's cheaper
me: you're not going to match a residency in neurosurgery or any competitive residency if you go to PI med school
friend: Nah i'll just work really hard during medical school and do well on the exams and then i'll get into a neurosurgery residency
me: well don't take my word for it. Go check on SDN
friend: whats SDN
me: nothing... good luck with the PI med school 😀

I just think it's funny that people who don't do well in UG think they can somehow flip the script and excel during medical school.
 
My friend wants to go into neurosurgery

friend: I think im going to go to medical school in the Philippines because it's cheaper
me: you're not going to match a residency in neurosurgery or any competitive residency if you go to PI med school
friend: Nah i'll just work really hard during medical school and do well on the exams and then i'll get into a neurosurgery residency
me: well don't take my word for it. Go check on SDN
friend: whats SDN
me: nothing... good luck with the PI med school 😀
There's a jilted Carib grad on here who scored like 260+ Step I, 270+ Step II who might have something to say about that.

Got turned down by every single ortho program in the country, I think.
 
Last edited:
It's called magic thinking.

We see it even in med students. The failing kids always think that somehow they're going to ace that last exam to pass the course. They usually end up repeating the first year.
Brings me back to freshman year gen chem when the students who failed all three midterm exams were confident they would score the 85% they needed on the final in order to get a C in the course.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wasn't present for this but was told after the fact:

Two pre-med friends (A & B) discussing their schedule for volunteering when third mutual "pre-med" friend overhears (C).

C: "Ew you guys volunteer at XYZ homeless shelter? Why would you waste your time like that"

A&B: ????????

C: "I don't believe in volunteering, it's gross. I have way better things to do with my time than pick up after smelly, lazy homeless folks."

...

I ran into C later that week and he asks me how my cycle is going.

Me: Talking about trying to turn my secondaries around as fast as possible to have the best shot, etc.

C: "Wow man that sucks. I guess I'm lucky because I'm gay" (Clarification: he is gay)

Me: ????????????

C: "Yeah, med schools consider me URM so it doesn't really matter how late I will apply. They need me because gay marriage is legal and there will be so many more gay patients!"
 
this pre-med chick I knew had 2 parent doctors, one of whom was in her words, a "vagina doctor", so she would give out tons of completely unsolicited gynecological advice to the girls in the class. She would also correct the anatomy prof during lecture because "her dad did this one operation where it was a different way"
I guess she thought she was being helpful? 🤣
 
Classmate in upper div. psych class : "What do you want to do after you graduate?"
Me : "I'll apply to med school next summer."
Her : "Oh! What do you want to do with your medical degree?"
Me : "Well, I'm a psych major, so I'm naturally interested in psychiatry, but..."
Her : "Cool. Well, a medical degree will probably really help you do psychiatry."

It turns out people are really unsure about what a psychiatrist is.
 
This one is about me! When I was a Senior in high school, I called my state medical school admissions office to ask them which state university (both similarly ranked) I should go to to have the best chance of getting accepted! The woman on the phone just said "Um... We don't have a preference for undergraduate institution".

That's kind of cute. Misguided, but cute. (Especially since you shared your own mishap).
 
I think they have consultants, but really just to advise on medical terminology and whatnot. I'm sure if they advised on "what its like to actually be a surgeon," they would have an entirely different kind of show.

Full disclosure: I am actually a longtime Grey's Anatomy fan, but I like it for what it is: an entertaining fictional television show. Its shocking how many people I've encountered, premed and general population, who think that's an accurate portrayal.

I read a story about a woman who watched GA crediting it for saving her life. In reality, it was her own self advocacy, but apparently in one episode a woman believed she had mastitis or a clogged milk duct when in reality it was breast cancer. Apparently this GA fan had a similar situation in which this lump would not go away, and though she had been told it's just this clog- she pushed for more testing, and it turned out to be breast CA.
So even the silliest shows sometimes result in some good beyond entertainment, too. 🙂

*Didn't realize how old this post was when I replied, sorry for that and getting way OT
 
Last edited:
This person is actually a lot smarter than you're giving them credit for. They're more correct than not.

MRSA is not caused by staph aureus. It IS staph aureus.

I wish... she didn't know what MRSA stood for. "it's a different 'bug'"

Edit: I remember what she told me last week...
"I can finally relax after I get into med school"
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Classmate in upper div. psych class : "What do you want to do after you graduate?"
Me : "I'll apply to med school next summer."
Her : "Oh! What do you want to do with your medical degree?"
Me : "Well, I'm a psych major, so I'm naturally interested in psychiatry, but..."
Her : "Cool. Well, a medical degree will probably really help you do psychiatry."

It turns out people are really unsure about what a psychiatrist is.

Get used to it. This fact will be hammered home when you work a psych consult service for a week.
 
Get used to it. This fact will be hammered home when you work a psych consult service for a week.
Lots of confusion about the differences between psychologists and psychiatrists, and about which one's a doctor, etc.?
 
Me: So when are you applying?
Premedbro: Soon bro, gotta take the MCAT first.
Me: Well, so then....you're applying DO?? (I was thinking it would be pretty late in the MD cycle to not even have taken the MCAT yet)
Premedbro: Nah bro, DO can only practice in a few states.
Me: Nah, I'm pretty sure they can practice in a few more than "a few."
 
Last edited:
She ain't even a premed!!!

But I seriously feel this way sometimes....Anyway.

Me: So when are you applying?
Premedbro: Soon bro, gotta take the MCAT first.
Me: Well, so then....you're applying DO?? (I was thinking it would be pretty late in the MD cycle to not even have taken the MCAT yet)
Premedbro: Nah bro, DO can only practice in a few states.
Me: Nah, I'm pretty sure they can practice in a few more than "a few."
There was a guy at the clinic where I work who (of course, b/c premeds can't fuqin talk abut anything else) asked me where I was thinking of applying.

Me : I'm applying all osteopathic, I think. It's strategic for me, and I'll be close to my SO, so...yeh.
Him : I don't know about DO. It's like...they're not real doctors, you know?
Me : They're licensed to practice in all 50 states, they do residency just like MDs. Same job. Same training, just different degree, is all. Like DMD vs. DDS. *shrugs*
Him : But they can only do primary care, and I still think they're not really actual doctors.
Me : *indicates doctor in exam room* . Dr. X is a pulmonologist and she works in critical care. She went to PCOM-GA. The only neurosurgeon in our city is a DO from CCOM. They can do whatever.
Him : I don't know man. I'm just going for MD.
Me : K. I gotta go scribe now. See ya. -_______-
 
There was a guy at the clinic where I work who (of course, b/c premeds can't fuqin talk abut anything else) asked me where I was thinking of applying.

Very true on the bolded. I didn't even think I could talk with anyone for >1hr about this stuff, but I did.

Me : I'm applying all osteopathic, I think. It's strategic for me, and I'll be close to my SO, so...yeh.
Him : I don't know about DO. It's like...they're not real doctors, you know?
Me : They're licensed to practice in all 50 states, they do residency just like MDs. Same job. Same training, just different degree, is all. Like DMD vs. DDS. *shrugs*
Him : But they can only do primary care, and I still think they're not really actual doctors.
Me : *indicates doctor in exam room* . Dr. X is a pulmonologist and she works in critical care. She went to PCOM-GA. The only neurosurgeon in our city is a DO from CCOM. They can do whatever.
Him : I don't know man. I'm just going for MD.
Me : K. I gotta go scribe now. See ya. -_______-

More DO spots for us. 😉
 
Low and behold, she also has ABSOLUTELY NO ECs. NO research. NOT involved with any clubs. NO shadowing. NOTHING. She justifies her lack of ANYTHING due to the sole fact that she goes to Hopkins for undergrad. She was so confident that she will get accepted to multiple medical schools because she is half Puerto Rican and plans to play the race card once the time comes (something that I absolutely despise.) She has about a 3.2 GPA.

The preceding stories were all 100% true in nature and had no instances of embellishments.

I'm not sure about Puerto Rican - but if that's URM - it's possible she got in with a 3.2.

I know an African American female medical student that got in with a MCAT of 27 and GPA 3.1; some EC - but nothing super standout - gets half ride in scholarship (not sure if this was needs based or whatever).

URM can play a heavy roll...
 
I'm not sure about Puerto Rican - but if that's URM - it's possible she got in with a 3.2.

I know an African American female medical student that got in with a MCAT of 27 and GPA 3.1; some EC - but nothing super standout - gets half ride in scholarship (not sure if this was needs based or whatever).

URM can play a heavy roll...

Puerto rican means she can apply to the puerto rican schools, where she might actually have a shot
 
Incoming D1 dental student stopping by! I check on this thread from time to time and it never ceases to make me smile at the very least. In undergrad, a lot of my friends were on the pre-med track.

I start with one gem of a girl who is from Puerto Rico. Awfully easy on the eyes and pretty nice, but has no sense of planning or common sense at times. No stories super crazy though...

Setting: Developmental Bio lecture waiting for class to start.
Her: Yeah I'm getting ready to take my MCAT
Me: Oh cool! When are you scheduled to take it?
Her: I'm going to try and shoot for a few months from now
Me: You do know that you need much more notice in order to secure a test date, right?
Her: Nahh I'm giving them three months notice!

Fast forward one week and she can't get a scheduled date to our local testing center, or in our entire state, or in our entire country.

Her: So I'm going to Puerto Rico to take my exam. Its at the end of June.
Me: At least you found a place to take your exam with such short notice!
Her: Yeah! It will be like a vacation too!
Me: Ummm... MCAT vacation... cool... So erm, hows the prep going? You only have like a few months?
Her: I haven't really had the time to start studying. But once classes are over in mid May, I am going to study hard for 5 weeks.

Fast forward to end of May, she ends up just starting to study. Just heard from her and said that a lot of the MCAT was "common sense" and she thinks it went "really well."


**sigh**



UPDATE!

If you have not read the above post that I posted back in June, I suggest you read it.

Anyway, now time for the update. Said Puerto Rican girl (not the infamous, clueless one which went to Hopkins,) took her MCAT at the end of June and said that it was mostly "common sense" and that she thinks that it went"really well." Well, scores came in, and although I am not familiar with the new MCAT scoring, what I do know is that she scored in the 50th percentile. So much for it being chock-full of "common sense" rhetoric.

She is currently in Spain doing some study abroad thing. Periodically, she keeps posting pictures on Facebook of herself with a group of friends wearing white labcoats, making sure to mention that everyone pictured will become "future doctors."

Although I admire her tenacity, I just don't see how someone like her can satisfactorily pass an M.D. or D.O. curriculum let alone get into a program to begin with.

Oh, and she is one of those who looks down on D.O.s. She holds firm to the whole M.D. or BUST mentality.
 
UPDATE!

If you have not read the above post that I posted back in June, I suggest you read it.

Anyway, now time for the update. Said Puerto Rican girl (not the infamous, clueless one which went to Hopkins,) took her MCAT at the end of June and said that it was mostly "common sense" and that she thinks that it went"really well." Well, scores came in, and although I am not familiar with the new MCAT scoring, what I do know is that she scored in the 50th percentile. So much for it being chock-full of "common sense" rhetoric.

She is currently in Spain doing some study abroad thing. Periodically, she keeps posting pictures on Facebook of herself with a group of friends wearing white labcoats, making sure to mention that everyone pictured will become "future doctors."

Although I admire her tenacity, I just don't see how someone like her can satisfactorily pass an M.D. or D.O. curriculum let alone get into a program to begin with.

Oh, and she is one of those who looks down on D.O.s. She holds firm to the whole M.D. or BUST mentality.

To those I say.....
welcome_to_the_caribbean_by_smithy9.jpg




speaking of which.....I have a few friends that are at Caribbean schools because they wanted to "get around the MCAT"

my friends.....testing never stops and if you can't get through the MCAT you should probably hang it up.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had a "friend" who, I swear to you, wanted to go into medicine so that she could be a "the type of doctor that turns heads whenever she walks on the clinic floor".

Pretty she was. Humble she was not. Realized her 2.3 wasn't gonna cut it so she moved away to pursue a modelling and acting career. Maybe she should send her C.V. over to Grey's Anatomy :laugh:.
 
I had a "friend" who, I swear to you, wanted to go into medicine so that she could be a "the type of doctor that turns heads whenever she walks on the clinic floor".

Pretty she was. Humble she was not. Realized her 2.3 wasn't gonna cut it so she moved away to pursue a modelling and acting career. Maybe she should send her C.V. over to Grey's Anatomy :laugh:.

being a pretend doctor is probably easier than being a real doctor