Future Coming in to focus, just a little

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheLongRoad87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
23 yrs old active duty AF, moving to Colorado in Feb, will be there till Feb 2013 at which point I would like to seperate or go guard/reserve and go to school full time. Would love to practice as a D.O. on the east coast maybe at a V.A. but thats a long range goal. Currently 18 Credits(3.8 GPA) in BS Psych Online w/ Park U looking at what point I should dig into true Pre- Med reqs. Wait or start now? I guess a concern I have is taking the classes too early knowing that it may be another 5-6 yrs before I could even apply to anything.

While Medical School may in fact be on the distant horizon for me the build up is not, i'm really trying to figure out how to attack this. Looks like I may be taking courses at Pikes Peak Community College and that could start in a few months so I feel like I need to figure out what im doing next couple years to develop a clear plan.

Option # 1: While in Colorado focus on my BS online and getting halfway, so I can get out and go through a 2 yr+ degree completion/pre-med regimin.

Option #2: While in Colorado take a mix of the courses required for my BS but also start taking Pre-Med/LAB coursework in between

Option #3: do ALL pre-med courses while in Colorado and then leave the air force and just have to knock out the rest of my BS in a 2-yr program when I get out.

Any other suggestions?

I'm planning on retraining to 4N(Med Tech) if i go guard/reserve and also get EMT training sometime soon, so during my school I could be getting all that hands on by working part time.

This is kind of off subject too, but what are some good student aid programs to look into that offer grants? especially for school books, yes my tuition is covered by the military but I still pay out of pocket for school books, being in a young family we are tight on money and trying to get help where I can, this would benefit me now.

Members don't see this ad.