Future DR applicant interested in IR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cephaladosaur

Reaction score
Hello,
I recently graduated med school and will be starting residency in diagnostic rads after an intern year in general surgery. I'll be going to a mid-tier academic place with 2 ESIR spots/year. Right off the bat, I don't mean to come off as neurotic. I am indeed enjoying my vacation time, but I do find it valuable to set short-term goals for myself. I did not apply to direct IR programs, but have developed a strong desire to pursue this path as a fellowship after rotating with IR during my fourth year of med school
My understanding, through interviewing with DR, is that obtaining fellowship in most non-IR subspecialties is fairly easy, but I have no clue how competitive IR fellowships are. A few questions I have:

1) I read that 2-year VIR fellowships are shutting down, and 2-year independent IR fellowships will replace them. What is the difference between these two?
2) Any advantages/disadvantages to applying to independent IR fellowships through ESIR vs. non-ESIR?
3) I also wanted to know what exactly the application criteria is for 1) obtaining an ESIR spot and 2) independent IR fellowships. How much weight is placed on Step 1/2/3? Research? Letters? Med school grades?
4) And lastly, I wanted some advice on what I can be doing now to bolster my chances of getting on the ESIR path and being competitive for fellowship. I have thought about getting involved in IR or vascular surgery projects during my surgical intern year. For fellowship, I would ideally like to end up in a specific geographic region (and a specific school) in order to be closer to family.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I recently graduated med school and will be starting residency in diagnostic rads after an intern year in general surgery. I'll be going to a mid-tier academic place with 2 ESIR spots/year. Right off the bat, I don't mean to come off as neurotic. I am indeed enjoying my vacation time, but I do find it valuable to set short-term goals for myself. I did not apply to direct IR programs, but have developed a strong desire to pursue this path as a fellowship after rotating with IR during my fourth year of med school
My understanding, through interviewing with DR, is that obtaining fellowship in most non-IR subspecialties is fairly easy, but I have no clue how competitive IR fellowships are. A few questions I have:

1) I read that 2-year VIR fellowships are shutting down, and 2-year independent IR fellowships will replace them. What is the difference between these two?
2) Any advantages/disadvantages to applying to independent IR fellowships through ESIR vs. non-ESIR?
3) I also wanted to know what exactly the application criteria is for 1) obtaining an ESIR spot and 2) independent IR fellowships. How much weight is placed on Step 1/2/3? Research? Letters? Med school grades?
4) And lastly, I wanted some advice on what I can be doing now to bolster my chances of getting on the ESIR path and being competitive for fellowship. I have thought about getting involved in IR or vascular surgery projects during my surgical intern year. For fellowship, I would ideally like to end up in a specific geographic region (and a specific school) in order to be closer to family.

Thanks!

Hello,

They used to be 1 year VIR fellowships and now it will be 2 years of VIR training/ after 5 years of diagnostic training (very few 2 year independent training programs currently available). Demand is high but supply is low.

ESIR tend to have more options ie more 1 year independent residency spots readily available. Total time of training is 6 years as opposed to 7 years in non ESIR training. If your ESIR training is mediocre (ie low complexity, not strong clinical training, limited autonomy), it would be better to do a 2 year Independent VIR residency after training.

The things that may be considered include
1) surgical internship
2) VIR letters
3) Scores including Step scores/ in-service scores
4) VIR research
5) VIR case log/ number of VIR rotations and case breadth
6) Clinical rotations (number of ICU / vascular surgery etc clinical rotations)
7) Involvement in SIR
8) Having someone well known in the program director circles of VIR make a phone call for you

Do well on your diagnostic radiology rotations, in -service exams and make sure that you keep your VIR and DR program directors happy as often they are responsible for determining ESIR candidacy and writing the letters required for VIR fellowship.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are going to more of a community program, with ESIR, do you still have a chance at IR fellowship? Assuming you put in the work of course

If you are going to more of a community program, with ESIR, do you still have a chance at IR fellowship? Assuming you put in the work of course
Yes. It is feasible. Networking and getting yourself out there at meetings is important.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. It is feasible. Networking and getting yourself out there at meetings is important.
In your opinion is the competitiveness of IR fellowship still increasing? I spoke to SIR and it seems tho there are 172 spots in the new match, and about 150 last year since 20% were non esir and stayed 2 years. But it seems they added like 4 to 5 new programs last year. Since all the VIR fellowships are officially converted, does this mean it might less competitive in the next years to come

In your opinion is the competitiveness of IR fellowship still increasing? I spoke to SIR and it seems tho there are 172 spots in the new match, and about 150 last year since 20% were non esir and stayed 2 years. But it seems they added like 4 to 5 new programs last year. Since all the VIR fellowships are officially converted, does this mean it might less competitive in the next years to come
We don't have enough data yet to sort this out. This upcoming match will be helpful to determine degree of competitiveness. The challenge is many of the independent have been filling with internal ESIR spots.

We don't have enough data yet to sort this out. This upcoming match will be helpful to determine degree of competitiveness. The challenge is many of the independent have been filling with internal ESIR spots.
Thank you.

how much does where you go for Rads residency matter in the listed criteria of selection for IR fellowships ?

If your training program has enough independent residency spots it is a plus as people will often take an internal candidate who they know. If not, the networking component and a phone call go a long way.