Future DVMs- C/O 2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lhmhtd

℅ something somewhere eventually
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I've been MIA for a little bit but after some time off of school I'm rejuvenated and refreshed and applying to vet schools this year. I wanted to start a thread for all of us applying.

I am really hoping to get the heck out of Athens so I've decided to apply to more than just UGA. I'm thinking UF, NCSU, Auburn, Mizzou, and Washington.

Where is everyone else applying?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey! I've been MIA for a little bit but after some time off of school I'm rejuvenated and refreshed and applying to vet schools this year. I wanted to start a thread for all of us applying.

I am really hoping to get the heck out of Athens so I've decided to apply to more than just UGA. I'm thinking UF, NCSU, Auburn, Mizzou, and Washington.

I'm not class of 2021, but........ Come to Mizzou!!!!! let me know if anyone has questions about the dreadful application process or anything else!!!!! GOODLUCK guys!!!!!!!

I can't believe the next application cycle is coming soon. It still feels like the last cycle was just completed. Good luck to all of those applying this year.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not class of 2021, but........ Come to Mizzou!!!!! let me know if anyone has questions about the dreadful application process or anything else!!!!! GOODLUCK guys!!!!!!!
Thanks! Yeah I originally applied to just UGA a couple years ago. Did bad in physics, withdrew my application, and took the past year off of school. Turned out to be such a blessing in disguise! So my husband will be completing his Masters in Biokogy this December and I'm really hoping to go somewhere that he can find a decent job. I'd like to only take loans for tuition and live off his income. Any employment opportunities for biologists? Obviously there's the university.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! Yeah I originally applied to just UGA a couple years ago. Did bad in physics, withdrew my application, and took the past year off of school. Turned out to be such a blessing in disguise! So my husband will be completing his Masters in Biokogy this December and I'm really hoping to go somewhere that he can find a decent job. I'd like to only take loans for tuition and live off his income. Any employment opportunities for biologists? Obviously there's the university.
Yes, there is the university but I am not sure about other opportunities. I am sure one of these lovely upperclassmen can help you with this question! @Ashgirl @Kpowell14 @Rainheart

As burnt out as I'm currently feeling right now, this thread totally made me smile :) I can't believe VMCAS opens in two months!

Reactions: 2 users
I encourage you all to check out the "What Are My Chances" and "Successful Applicant Stats 2020" threads to see where you all stand and to help answer any questions that may come up when VMCAS opens. There are a lot of students on SDN that can help you. You can PM me also if needed.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone!! I'm applying this cycle to UF (IS), NC, Washington, Georgia and Auburn. I can't believe how time is flying. Now time to turn off Netflix and get back to some GRE studying ;)

As burnt out as I'm currently feeling right now, this thread totally made me smile :) I can't believe VMCAS opens in two months!
Less than! A little over a month :)

I'm applying to Washington again. I'm getting summer plans all together so I can improve some areas of my application, and hopefully 2021 will work out!

Reactions: 3 users
May 11th this year, apparently.

Good luck, everyone! Hopefully VMCAS has ironed out the kinks with the new platform after last cycle.
Be still my heart.

That's two months away. We're good. ;)

I guess I could always just look it up, but anyone know when VMCAS is closing this year? Is it Sept 15 again?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's April 15th I thought?

I couldn't find any dates for the upcoming cycle. The VMCAS page is being updated and is not helpful in the meantime. :rolleyes:

I had forgotten how much fun navigating VMCAS is.

On the main VMCAS page there's a tiny little note that says it's starting May 11th

Still deciding if I'm going to apply this cycle. Maybe? Hopefully? I'mma hang out here anyways.

I mean, it is a pretty large university town (about 100,000 people when the university is in session I think). The university is huge and I think he would be able to find something here in that department. I don't know much about the campus/university other than the vet school, though :/ I'm not much help. All I know is that I think your husband would probably be fine to find a job.

Good luck, everyone! Hopefully VMCAS has ironed out the kinks with the new platform after last cycle.

I was less than thrilled about the new platform last cycle. +pissed+

Yes, there is the university but I am not sure about other opportunities. I am sure one of these lovely upperclassmen can help you with this question! @Ashgirl @Kpowell14 @Rainheart

@lhmhtd
That is a hard question to answer because I don't know much about that field and job prospects.. I'd say to get online and just search for jobs that he might qualify for and see what is available in this area. We are also only about 30-40 minutes from Jeff city (depending on what side of town you live on) so job opportunities there are not too out of reach either.

2nd time applicant over here.

I'm waitlisted at my Michigan State (IS) which is the only place I applied this past cycle. I'm far enough down the list that I don't think I'll be admitted so I get to do it all over again. Yay! I'm planning to just apply to Michigan State again... as bad as I want to be a veterinarian I don't feel like I can justify OOS tuition to myself so I'm really hellbent on getting into my IS. All fingers and toes are crossed for better luck this time around.

I'm waitlisted at my Michigan State (IS) which is the only place I applied this past cycle. I'm far enough down the list that I don't think I'll be admitted so I get to do it all over again. Yay! I'm planning to just apply to Michigan State again... as bad as I want to be a veterinarian I don't feel like I can justify OOS tuition to myself so I'm really hellbent on getting into my IS. All fingers and toes are crossed for better luck this time around.
Have you ever thought about applying to schools that are as cheap or cheaper than your IS? For instance, according to VIN ( http://www.vinfoundation.org/AppUti...833&objecttypeid=10&redirectFromMiscDefault=1), there are 5 other schools that are cheaper than MSU.

I'm applying to Washington again. I'm getting summer plans all together so I can improve some areas of my application, and hopefully 2021 will work out!
Washington is my 1st choice. I think it's beautiful, and seems very much like a place we'd like. Hoping to at least get an interview and get to see the area. It's REALLY far from my family (we are floridians) though.

I started to apply last year and NOTHING had been saved from the 2014 application cycle. Wtf.

Washington is my 1st choice. I think it's beautiful, and seems very much like a place we'd like. Hoping to at least get an interview and get to see the area. It's REALLY far from my family (we are floridians) though.
That's about as far away as you can get for vet school in the states!

As an aside, I love how positive and helpful the accepted c/o 20 is being. Good stuff. Remember to check back during dark times* to recall this.

*Also not all times are dark! Just enough that memories of happiness are very important, hence the constant declaration from students and vets to make sure your off time is spent on things that will bring a smile to your lips. :)

Reactions: 9 users

I agree with the post below that there may be cheaper options for you, so you might as well try those OOS options. MSU's IS tuition looks rough!

This upcoming cycle will be my 2nd time applying too. I'm taking an Organic Chem lab this semester, because WSU required it. I also need to study for/retake the GRE soon...

Last year I applied to LSU (my UG), WSU, Colorado and Ohio, but I'm definitely cutting out LSU this time (didn't realize exactly how small my chances were as an OOS applicant there). Not yet sure what other school(s) I may add to my app this time around...it may depend on how summer goes. I applied to the Disney vet internship and as of now still seem to be in the running, so we'll see! I've also recently sent in apps for internships at my local aquarium and a zoo, in case I don't make it into Disney's.

This upcoming cycle will be my 2nd time applying too. I'm taking an Organic Chem lab this semester, because WSU required it. I also need to study for/retake the GRE soon...

Last year I applied to LSU (my UG), WSU, Colorado and Ohio, but I'm definitely cutting out LSU this time (didn't realize exactly how small my chances were as an OOS applicant there). Not yet sure what other school(s) I may add to my app this time around...it may depend on how summer goes. I applied to the Disney vet internship and as of now still seem to be in the running, so we'll see! I've also recently sent in apps for internships at my local aquarium and a zoo, in case I don't make it into Disney's.

I love how many of us posting here so far are applying to WSU. :p

I didn't know you're interested in exotics! I hope you get into the Disney program. Is that the one pinkpuppy did?

I totally can't decide if I'm more excited or terrified to apply this cycle. I'm a first-timer. Ohio State is by far my #1. I'll probably apply to 2 or 3 others.

I totally can't decide if I'm more excited or terrified to apply this cycle. I'm a first-timer. Ohio State is by far my #1. I'll probably apply to 2 or 3 others.
Excitement and terror pretty much sums it up! Good luck! Are you IS Ohio?

This. Actually why I'm wavering on applying.. But if I do it will be to NCSU, my IS and #1.

Excitement and terror pretty much sums it up! Good luck! Are you IS Ohio?

I wish! I'm OOS everywhere. But OSU has been IT for me since the first time I was in their LA hospital. Then I go to MVC every year and listen to so many of their clinicians speak ahhhhh. It's the closest school to my hometown, as well.

Sucks to be OOS everywhere though:(

Have you ever thought about applying to schools that are as cheap or cheaper than your IS? For instance, according to VIN ( http://www.vinfoundation.org/AppUti...833&objecttypeid=10&redirectFromMiscDefault=1), there are 5 other schools that are cheaper than MSU.

I agree with the post below that there may be cheaper options for you, so you might as well try those OOS options. MSU's IS tuition looks rough!

I've definitely looked at other schools. There are reasons I don't want to or can't apply to some of them--like not meeting minimum requirements which I think is the case for NC

I'm frequently reconsidering though so maybe I'll change my mind. Right now I'm feeling like one school is the way to go though.

I love how many of us posting here so far are applying to WSU. :p

I didn't know you're interested in exotics! I hope you get into the Disney program. Is that the one pinkpuppy did?
Yep! Exotics/wildlife and LA, since I know how hard it'd be to actually get into zoo stuff :p
Yeah, that's the one pinkpuppy did and she's already given me lots of great info on the process! Last I heard from them, as long as the applicant dashboard thing still says "in progress" it means you're still in the running and they may or may not request interviews/additional info. They usually only choose ~2 people for this one and are supposed to release the final decisions on April 1...getting so close!

Dooooo it. You never know until you try! :)
I second this to everyone wondering if they should apply. Even if you only apply to one school and don't get an interview/acceptance, it'll be a learning process if nothing else :) I was a tad unprepared in some areas for my first attempt last cycle, but now I at least know what to expect and where to focus improvements.

Html!!!!! How have you been?? :)

I would say you should apply to UTK (because you should and so should everyone) but that OOS tuition is a lot to swallow.

Woo! Good luck 2021 prospects. The app cycle can be very disheartening at times but the acceptance letter is the best feeling :)

Yeah 2021-ers! Best of luck.

For those of you who are embarking on this fandago for the first time, I want to be very honest with you: know that there will be days in this process where you want to curl up into a ball and cry. Sometimes you will need to let yourself do this.

And that's okay.

Don't let yourself stay there, though; pick yourself up, eat some ice cream, hug the animal(s) and/or supportive humans your life, and keep going. Do what is right in front of you each day, be it plugging away at some part of VMCAS, revising your personal statement, that glorious and terrifying moment when you submit VMCAS, or practicing a few more questions for interviews.

Keep going. Breathe. Take it one day at a time. The process is long, but it does end. Promise. :nod:
My most sincere best wishes, class of 2021 applicants. :biglove: Here's to being colleagues in the not too distant future. :highfive:

Reactions: 8 users
I've definitely looked at other schools. There are reasons I don't want to or can't apply to some of them--like not meeting minimum requirements which I think is the case for NC

I'm frequently reconsidering though so maybe I'll change my mind. Right now I'm feeling like one school is the way to go though.

Finnickthedog,
If you feel you are totally ready to apply and not giving this cycle a "test run", then why not apply to a bunch of schools? If you feel you're almost ready, or applying a little early, then just apply to your IS. Then you'll know what they think, and can get feedback from a file review on what to improve on, OR get in and not have to be confused and worried of turning down a possible acceptance from another school!

Last edited:
Finnickthedog,
If you feel you are totally ready to apply and not giving this cycle a "test run", then why not apply to a bunch of schools? If you feel you're almost ready, or applying a little early, then just apply to your IS. Then you'll know what they think, and can get feedback from a file review on what to improve on, OR get in and not have to be confused and worried of turning down a possible acceptance from another school!

Because there are no other schools (at this point in time) that I am both elgible to apply for and want to attend.

It's not a "test run" (that was last cycle), this is just the decision I've made--which may or may not change. ;)

Last edited:
Html!!!!! How have you been?? :)

I would say you should apply to UTK (because you should and so should everyone) but that OOS tuition is a lot to swallow.
I've been great! I work in a microbiology lab at Johnson and Johnson and it's been a great experience- one that I hope can help me stand out. I definitely needed some real world interaction and it's really helped me know for sure that vet med is what I want to do. I'm still very interested in pathology and I have a pathologist from uga cvm writing me a lor! :) my only hurdle left is retaking physics 1 and taking physics 2.
Is that u tenn Knoxville? I have looked at them- seems like a great school, but yes tuition is obviously a concern. Uga makes most sense financially, but I despise Athens. Washington is great because I'd probably be able to get IS after the first year.
Do you start vet school this fall??

I've been great! I work in a microbiology lab at Johnson and Johnson and it's been a great experience- one that I hope can help me stand out. I definitely needed some real world interaction and it's really helped me know for sure that vet med is what I want to do. I'm still very interested in pathology and I have a pathologist from uga cvm writing me a lor! :) my only hurdle left is retaking physics 1 and taking physics 2.
Is that u tenn Knoxville? I have looked at them- seems like a great school, but yes tuition is obviously a concern. Uga makes most sense financially, but I despise Athens. Washington is great because I'd probably be able to get IS after the first year.
Do you start vet school this fall??
Ah that sounds really awesome :D Glad you're doing so well.
Yeah, UTK is University of Tennessee. That's where I'm starting this fall. I really want to recommend it to everyone because I'm so excited about it, but at the same time it would be a little hypocritical since I'm always telling people that the cost is the most important factor. You can get IS after the first year at NCSU and Mizzou too so those are always good choices for OOS applicants!

For anyone having to reapply this year, I recommend getting on VMCAS now and printing your application so you can reference it this cycle. That's what I did and it helped a lot. Unless they changed it this year and your information doesn't disappear. Plus if you print it now you can add your new experiences and everything to it and have a visual of how you have improved and see areas that might still be lacking. Sometimes, if you are like me, you're biggest problem in your application is how you describe your experiences. They told me my first year that I didn't show in depth experiences and I was too modest in how I wrote about them. So basically brag yourself up, don't lie though, but show the unique in-depth hands on experiences you got. So maybe improvement this round is even rewriting how you describe each experience.

Ah that sounds really awesome :D Glad you're doing so well.
Yeah, UTK is University of Tennessee. That's where I'm starting this fall. I really want to recommend it to everyone because I'm so excited about it, but at the same time it would be a little hypocritical since I'm always telling people that the cost is the most important factor. You can get IS after the first year at NCSU and Mizzou too so those are always good choices for OOS applicants!
Oh sweet! Yes I knew I had chosen those for a reason :) that's so awesome for you- I remember a couple summers ago you were just a little pre vet ;)

Hey all,
Super excited to apply this year. Got my BS in 2014 and have been in the process of retaking pre-reqs since last semester. I'm hell bent on Michigan State (IS), but will also apply to 2 or 3 others near by.
This will be a fun process since I plan on sharing my whole experience with my Pre-Vet club.
Good Luck to all.

I'm planning on applying this cycle as well. From Maine, so OOS everywhere. Tufts, Illinois, and St. Geogre's are ones I'm considering, but I haven't fully committed to them yet.

Because there are no other schools (at this point in time) that I am both elgible to apply for and want to attend.

It's not a "test run" (that was last cycle), this is just the decision I've made--which may or may not change. ;)
Keep in mind that some schools, such as OSU, allow you to become IS after the first year. Just something to think of.