Future DVMs- C/O 2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are your thoughts on going to a domestic school vs. an international school? I'm trying to decide between OSU and RVC (London).
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What are your thoughts on going to a domestic school vs. an international school? I'm trying to decide between OSU and RVC (London).
Thanks!

The number one thing you'll hear on this forum is, "Which is cheaper to attend (COA)?"

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is that factoring in the cost to fly back and forth to London though?

Yup. The difference is about $40,000 for the cost of education, but that's not including what other expenses I'll need to make to travel for placements (rotations) as a part of their curriculum. Unless the pound to dollar ratio significantly increases again, I think that even with the above costs that have not been factored in, it would still be less than OSU. That said, the living costs are quite a bit overestimated for OSU, so I probably wouldn't need all of it, which would lower the cost.

Yup. The difference is about $40,000 for the cost of education, but that's not including what other expenses I'll need to make to travel for placements (rotations) as a part of their curriculum. Unless the pound to dollar ratio significantly increases again, I think that even with the above costs that have not been factored in, it would still be less than OSU. That said, the living costs are quite a bit overestimated for OSU, so I probably wouldn't need all of it, which would lower the cost.

Just to double check, but are you taking into account that you can get IS tuition at OSU after first year?

Wow, RVC is actually cheaper than a US school?

I thought by default everything international was significantly more expensive than any OOS tuition. Admittedly, I also haven't looked into it since it doesn't really pertain to me.

Guys, I'm still waiting to hear from 4 schools... I have a lot of patience normally, but all this stress of not knowing is really starting to wear on me. Been trying to distract myself through work, and luckily it's been pretty steady the last few weeks.

Reactions: 3 users
But London COL though?

At least between my options, RVC is the cheapest overall for Cost of Education. There are plenty of cheaper schools in the US, but they didn't work out. That's only with the current conversion rate though.
After the 1st year at OSU, tuition would be cheaper than RVC, but for the first year it's an extra $40,000, which is where we see the difference in Cost of Education.
I would only be in London for the first year, and then after that I'd be living in Hawkshead, a suburb of London, for the last 3 years, so I'd imagine the COL would decrease, but even in London I was told to estimate about 1000£ a month, and the alumni I talked to said they didn't even use all of that.

Does anyone have a good recommendation on what type of stethoscope to get? I know lots of people get Littman, but I was wondering what specific model people recommend? Thanks!

Does anyone have a good recommendation on what type of stethoscope to get? I know lots of people get Littman, but I was wondering what specific model people recommend? Thanks!

If you hit up the search function you'll find a thread on this. In fact I think there might be one on the bottom of page 1 or page 2!

There's been a lot of discussion about this on a few other threads here which can be found using the search bar, but I'll be nice because I'm bored and link some of them for you. Some of the vets are saying that you would be fine getting a less expensive one for vet school and upgrading to a nice one when you graduate, when you can actually appreciate what you're hearing. Obviously, it's up to you how much you're willing to spend.

LMU c/o 2021 Thread
Stethoscope Questions Thread
Expected Expenses Thread (this one has had a lot of discussion on it)

This question gets asked a lot and the general advice that is given is to buy the cheapest stethoscope you can for now. Stethoscopes tend to get lost or broken before or during clinics, so you don't want to be out too much money right off the bat if that happens. You can always upgrade later if you feel the need. Most people in my class got the Littman Cardiology III but I got the Littman Master Classic II, which was about $50 cheaper, and it's done well enough so far.

If you're looking for less expensive, quality stethoscopes, it's worth asking any physicians you might know. My father is a pediatrician (human) and he said they often give them away like candy at conferences and meetings. He had three spare tucked away and gave me a couple to try out. Hard to argue against two free stethoscopes.