Future Non traditional student looking for advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

psu228

Hey everybody,

I'm a senior at PSU, majoring in History with minors in biology, jewish studies, and Middle Eastern studies.

My dream is to go to PCOM someday; I've taken all my undergrad pre reqs except for o chem (taking o chem 1 next semester) and physics. Next year I'm teaching high school biology at a school in philadelphia, and was planning on finishing these pre reqs at Temple or really any of the dozens of schools in philly to choose from.

I haven't always worked the hardest in my science courses, and right now my science GPA is a 3.1, mainly because I got Cs in both general chemistry courses. Should i retake one or both of them? I know DO schools do grade substitutions.

In general, do you guys think if I finish those pre reqs, do decent on the MCAT, that PCOM is attainable? I have a ton of student leadership and extracurriculars, and clinical experience in hospitals. Just wondering from your informed perspectives and also if anyone has advice on how to imrpve my chances I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Need to take those chem classes over. Organic was a killer for me as was physics. Will have to see how you do in those before anyone can give you an honest answer.

Also, we need to know the MCAT score before any advice can be given.

It is difficult to predict, and so far, your stats are below average for PCOM. You should aim for your GPA to be above 3.4 and MCAT score of at least 505. To put things in perspective, I've been complete at PCOM since mid-July and my stats are 3.7 GPA with a 31 MCAT and I still haven't gotten a II yet. I'm also a nontrad with tons of ECs.

Last edited:
Main advice: Re-take any grades that are C or below, especially general chemistry. I watched many people struggle in organic chem, even those who did well in gen chem. Getting C's in Gen Chem is not a good base. In my opinion, Organic and Physics are harder than Gen Chem.