Future of Clinical Pharmacy

Started by Cpcunn3
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. With dinner (1700)

2. Absolutely. We don't allow IV PPI for non-GI bleeds. The data VERY strongly support the pushes. Several large meta-analyses as well as individual studies have shown that there is no benefit of drip over IVP in any patient population. We do an 80 mg bolus then 40 mg Q12. There is no reason to do drips unless you like flushing money down the toilet. The only person who can order a drip is the section head of GI. If it is nighttime - too bad, you better call him at home.

3. Ambien: We enforce a max dose of 5 mg for all women, anyone age > 65, and anyone who was not on 10 mg at home. If a woman or senior was on 10 mg HS, they are still maxed at 5. No exceptions here. If someone complains I usually suggest trazodone instead which you can increase quite far if needed (although it rarely is). If it is a man < 65 yo and 10 mg is ordered (or 5-10 mg) we check home med list, if they were not on it we change to 5 as well. Same rule, no exceptions.

Tramadol: Our system automatically inputs a comment of max dose 400 mg/day or 300 mg/day for age > 75, so that we keep as is. For CrCl < 30, we adjust dose to whatever makes sense to not exceed 100 mg every 12 hours. So I will let 50 mg Q6 PRN go by but not 100 mg Q6, I will change that to Q12. If it is scheduled I change the frequency as needed - so if it is 100 mg TID I change to BID and put a note in the comments that max dose is 200 mg/day for CrCl < 30. Same thing for age > 75, if scheduled then I ensure that the frequency will not exceed 300 mg/day and if it does then I change it to comply with max dose. I do not change frequency for PRN doses in age > 75 because there is no restriction on frequency, just total daily dosage (unlike CrCl).

Thanks!

2. Totally what we do as well, only we allow most ED/ICU docs to order if GI bleed

3/4 I like these, we don't have set protocol/parameters, so I think I may bring up doing something like that where I work

Thanks again
 
Care if I ask a few things?

1. what time do you guys do warfarin admin times, 1800?
2. Do you change even GI bleed protonix gtts to IV push? Prob not those right? or what situations do you?
3. How do you guys do decreases in zolpidem and tramadol, just adjust to what is acceptable/typical when ordered outside typical dosing?

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it! Just curious esp on the PPI gtts, other stuff looks pretty identical to what we do.

1. Warfarin at 1700
2. Pharmacy does NOT have the authority to switch IV PPI to PO PPI in the presence of a GI bleed, in fact that is the only exclusion to the automatic IV->PO conversion of PPIs (although in general we will not change GI consulted patients to PO)
3. We do not change tramadol/zolpidem automatically