Future of medical science and technology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Intellex

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to get your guys' take on something. With new advances in AI, life extension science, the hype surrounding Google's new company Calico, etc. it's becoming generally accepted medicine is evolving into an information technology field and will eventually be much more automated. But I haven't seen a lot of info out there about how medical schools and the profession intends to adapt. Will there be new specialties that are more computational and technical? Will STEM degrees eventually be a prerequisite for med schools? Also, are there any medical specialties today that are playing a major part in advancing medical technology, maybe interventional rads?

Members don't see this ad.

Will STEM degrees eventually be a prerequisite for med schools?

This is the only question that I feel comfortable answering. I think the answer is no.

The study of information technology and medicine are completely unrelated. I do believe there is much that information technology can do in the health sector - and it may be up to physicians to help lead the change - but the bulk of analysis and implementation should be left up to experts in the technology.

In addition, health care is, strategically speaking, a "wicked" problem with no single answer. IT implementation is expensive; also, the nature of IT introduces complexity into systems instead of reducing it. It may help healthcare systems adjust in a constantly-shifting economic landscape, but it comes at a high cost. Physicians, who tend to spend the bulk of their time doing clinical work and research, are not positioned to accurately evaluate these risks.

The key isn't diversifying the skillsets of doctors. It's teamwork, coordination, and lots of patience.

Ever heard of the HST program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay now I'm confused. Are we talking about information technology or just technological advancements in medical devices/products in general? They are two very different things.

Will there be new specialties that are more computational and technical? Will STEM degrees eventually be a prerequisite for med schools? Also, are there any medical specialties today that are playing a major part in advancing medical technology, maybe interventional rads?

Everything you learn in undergraduate biology/chemistry is basically useless for med school. The way the current system is, the first couple weeks of each class bings everyone up to speed. So no, STEM degrees won't be required. And ultimately, what you learn for patient care comes in the 3rd, 4th and residency years. The first two years are just the barest groundwork needed to operate in the clinic.