Future of Molecular/Functional MRIs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samtang

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some insight (or references) on the future of these modalities? I am also interested in MRI fellowships... are these hard to get into?

Members don't see this ad.

I was going to start a thread on this but figured to just bump it instead. I'm curious about the future of radiology and molecular imaging. Any insight and information would be cool.

I was going to start a thread on this but figured to just bump it instead. I'm curious about the future of radiology and molecular imaging. Any insight and information would be cool.

im not a radiologist but from what i've read its shaping up to be literally the biggest thing to hit medicine, or specifically oncology, in a long time. The technology offers, as far as I can tell, a way for radiologists to both diagnose and treat theoretically any cancer.

Members don't see this ad :)
take what i add with a grain of salt as I'm a med student as well, but I've been doing a bit of research in MRI/PET and as far as I know:

The future of molecular imaging is in PET with new tracers being phased into clinical practice (thus far only FDG, glucose analogue, has found widespread clinical use, but soon new radiopharmaceuticals will be used making it possible to visualise other processes)

for brain MR at least, perfusion and diffusion sequences are becoming very routine, with DTI (tractography) entering clinical use. things like fMRI are still only used in research although may begin to be phased in for high risk neurosurgery