Future of Pathology for Medical Students to Consider

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathres9999

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
As we are fast approaching the upcoming match application year, I would invite any curious medical students or other prospectives that have considered or are considering pathology as a career. As a current pathology resident looking down at the upcoming job market at mid tier residency, I would whole-halfheartedly dissuade anyone from entering this path. However, anecdotal evidence will only go so far, and I feel as if natural innate biases tend to ignore unfavorable anecdotes in light of anecdotes that follow a pre-set belief. So lets talk about some real problems that will not likely correct in the near future:

1) Job market - For the following argument consider having a background of 4 years of medical school; 4 years residency; 1-2 years fellowship. Most students will carry significant debt (>200K in loans) if they are AMGs. The median salary for a job starting out is $203,000 ( Source: College of American Pathologists, 2017 Practice Characteristics Survey Report) not including the medical instructor route (80-100K salary). Over 50% of all graduating residents/fellows since 2016 reported at least moderate difficulty with less than half receiving more than one job offer and 20% receiving no job offer(The State of Pathologists Job Market and Compensation). 42% of newly trained pathologists had to move to a new region/state (An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie). These trends have remained consistent in the past few years, however due to way the CAP researchers altered the statistics they made it seem like it was slightly trending positive (one should always remember statistically significant does not mean clinically significant).

Additional things to consider: Even before COVID there was evidence of laboratory consolidation and pathologists required to work more for less reimbursement; now with COVID there will be a bigger push for this.If you are unable to secure a job, since there is no internship required, there is limited to no alternatives to practice medicine in the US.

2) CAP leadership - It is clear that CAP leadership has conflicting interest. One of the major ways it gets reimbursed is through the CAP inspections. Another is that by having significant ties to academia, CAP also has incentive to push for more residents/residency programs (ie for government funding, cheaper labor, further consolidation by driving market demand down, etc). CAP has accomplished this by "creating" a future pathology shortage through statistically manipulated data and ignoring criticism from the community. This is evident in conflicting new data about how there was a significant under-counting of pathologists by 40% (Reevaluation of the US Pathologist Workforce Size and Concerns about the pathology job market dominate a popular online pathology forum and likely deterred American medical students from pursuing pathology residency).

Additional things to consider: Talking with CAP members leadership has not changed their stance on anything as of yet. Even before COVID, CAP was struggling and failing to prevent reimbursement cuts for pathology services. Now with COVID, they have less of a chance and will likely lose political ground for misleading congress and other political affiliates about expected pathology shortages.

3)Academia - For those interested in academia, please note that with the increased consolidation of labs and path-related services the model has been moving towards a hyper-specialized and solely clinical role. Because academic centers are increasing the clinical work load there is less ability for academically minded individuals to pursue a tenure track or independent research. Also, with academics it is difficult to negotiate contracts to reflect the work you are signing out, barring exceptions. Also, in pathology, like most of medicine, is extremely hierarchical; however, unlike other specialties you get less respect from other fields and it is harder to escape a hostile working environment.

In summary, it laments me to see this profession brought so low. Given that pathology is a intellectually challenging endeavor with high accountability it should make no sense for it to be in the position that it is in. I love pathology, but I cannot in good conscious recommend it. There is a reason why pathology is considered the most noncompetitive specialty. For those who are hopeful things will change I would strongly encourage to read the myriad of posts on this site and to review the literature to realize that this will not happen. Second, for those who think they are special and immune to these factors and will rise above; you aren't special, no one is. With so much uncertainty in the future why take a risk on something that is known to have a bad outcome when there are so many guaranteed positives you can do with a medical degree.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 11 users
Over 50% of all graduating residents/fellows since 2016 reported at least moderate difficulty with less than half receiving more than one job offer and 20% receiving no job offer(The State of Pathologists Job Market and Compensation). 42% of newly trained pathologists had to move to a new region/state (An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie).

600 graduating every year. 20% is 120 people with no jobs.

3917717D-CC78-401F-9BB7-FF93FCB58314.jpeg

39FF9748-1C4E-474C-9A99-F285CB646FAA.jpeg

Last edited:
1) Job market - For the following argument consider having a background of 4 years of medical school; 4 years residency; 1-2 years fellowship. Most students will carry significant debt (>200K in loans) if they are AMGs. The median salary for a job starting out is $203,000 ( Source: College of American Pathologists, 2017 Practice Characteristics Survey Report) not including the medical instructor route (80-100K salary). Over 50% of all graduating residents/fellows since 2016 reported at least moderate difficulty with less than half receiving more than one job offer and 20% receiving no job offer(The State of Pathologists Job Market and Compensation). 42% of newly trained pathologists had to move to a new region/state (An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie). These trends have remained consistent in the past few years, however due to way the CAP researchers altered the statistics they made it seem like it was slightly trending positive (one should always remember statistically significant does not mean clinically significant).

I don't think the starting salaries are that bad. Unless you are going into academics, you can expect upper 200s to upper 300s to start. Even in academia you can start at lower to mid 200s (depends on the location/institution). Regardless, you will probably have to move for your job, an it might be in a suboptimal geographic location.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am waiting for "pathologist lives matter" to spring up on this forum before too long.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I don't think the starting salaries are that bad. Unless you are going into academics, you can expect upper 200s to upper 300s to start. Even in academia you can start at lower to mid 200s (depends on the location/institution). Regardless, you will probably have to move for your job, an it might be in a suboptimal geographic location.
Db - there are going to be a lot of disappointed new grads when they look at their salaries of their first job. I don’t think it is fair to say a new grad can expect upper 200s to upper 300s to start no matter what part of the country your talking about.

Reactions: 5 users
Db - there are going to be a lot of disappointed new grads when they look at their salaries of their first job. I don’t think it is fair to say a new grad can expect upper 200s to upper 300s to start no matter what part of the country your talking about.
Agreed. From what I know we are one of the higher paying groups in our area and we start new grads in the low 200s, not high 200s or 300s. Pay does go up quickly on the partnership track, though.

Reactions: 1 users

Unless you manage to snag one of the few good positions because of academic pedigree or connections, that's not realistic for most graduates in the national market. For a fresh out of fellowship training pathologist, in my area its in the $200-220K starting range. But one of the papers published in Archives a few months ago showed a significant percentage of new graduates having a starting salary of less than $200K, which I think are those that went the academic route.

New jobs on Pathoutlines. Work for Gastro One in Memphis. Just another aspect of the pathology job market....employed by other REAL doctors. They weren't dumb enough to go into pathology. You think you are an equal or a colleague? Please. You gave that up when you went into pathology.

Pathology is a commodity and will only get worse. Stay away med students, stay away. There is no good future here.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently sweating bullets regarding job prospects and salary. I'm a first year CP-only resident with a few different subspecialty interests. BB/Transfusion and Hemepath are at the top of the list right now. My goal is/was to start in academics and try to work my way into industry. I want to be involved with research, clinical trials, drug development and such. I knew coming in that academic salaries are lower than PP, but I just realized that most of the new hires at my program start off as assistant instructors.

If I go this route will I really be making 80 to 100k for a few years after fellowship?

New jobs on Pathoutlines. Work for Gastro One in Memphis. Just another aspect of the pathology job market....employed by other REAL doctors. They weren't dumb enough to go into pathology. You think you are an equal or a colleague? Please. You gave that up when you went into pathology.

Pathology is a commodity and will only get worse. Stay away med students, stay away. There is no good future here.

All the more reason to s**t in a box and encourage others to do the same.

I'm currently sweating bullets regarding job prospects and salary. I'm a first year CP-only resident with a few different subspecialty interests. BB/Transfusion and Hemepath are at the top of the list right now. My goal is/was to start in academics and try to work my way into industry. I want to be involved with research, clinical trials, drug development and such. I knew coming in that academic salaries are lower than PP, but I just realized that most of the new hires at my program start off as assistant instructors.

If I go this route will I really be making 80 to 100k for a few years after fellowship?

Adding on AP will open a large number of doors for you, even if you prefer to be CP-focused. I would strongly consider this before you get further into residency.

That's just based on my residency class spread. Maybe we all got very lucky.

Members don't see this ad :)
When looking at salaries on the public databases I saw salaries for assistant instructors that were only 70k. Is there a sizeable portion of income that might not be shown on the public sites?

When looking at salaries on the public databases I saw salaries for assistant instructors that were only 70k. Is there a sizeable portion of income that might not be shown on the public sites?

Yes, there often is. I could be wrong, but I think public databases are only required to show how much of the salary is paid for by the public institution funded in part by tax dollars.

Funny, the hiring pathologist at Gastro One is or was an academic. Academics doing in office lab work now?

UTHSC Faculty facepage : PAMELA B. SYLVESTRE, M.D.

Target Start Date: Due to increased volume from mergers of GI practices, two positions are available in Gastro One’s pathology department. Pathology residents and fellows completing training by July 2021 are encouraged to apply.

Application: Interested candidates may submit inquiries and curriculum vitae to:

Pamela B. Sylvestre, M.D.
Email: [email protected]

Last edited:
Though this should probably be the start of the new thread, read and weep folks because this what oversupply gets you. Below is the 2021 fee impact table published by CAP and its a horror show.

Attachments

• 2021-proposed-rule-impact-table.pdf
    400.3 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
As if COVID isn't bad enough. That is a horror show. Vultures are circling overhead.

88305 of $5 in the future? Damn there are a lot of “-“......

Last edited:
Funny, the hiring pathologist at Gastro One is or was an academic. Academics doing in office lab work now?

UTHSC Faculty facepage : PAMELA B. SYLVESTRE, M.D.

Target Start Date: Due to increased volume from mergers of GI practices, two positions are available in Gastro One’s pathology department. Pathology residents and fellows completing training by July 2021 are encouraged to apply.

Application: Interested candidates may submit inquiries and curriculum vitae to:

Pamela B. Sylvestre, M.D.
Email: [email protected]

She sees the obvious. Encouraging new grads to apply. Easy to exploit. Minimal pay and vacation.

Residents and fellows: Your skills are worth more today. When you are done training they will be worth less. Gaining a skill set that is less valuable every day/year.

Basically everything is a decrease. Unreal. No, that is just pathology. What a crap show this field is.

88305 of $5 in the future? Damn there are a lot of “-“......

The only thing that I can see that went up in any meaningful way was the molecular pathology interpretation code to whopping $42.91...because we all do so many of those :shrug:

Though this should probably be the start of the new thread, read and weep folks because this what oversupply gets you. Below is the 2021 fee impact table published by CAP and its a horror show.
Nuked. Looks like Godbey can’t stand up for the field at all.

This should be a new thread. Soul-crushing numbers

It looks like being a “decalcification” facility for a huge clientele, dumping all the in vinegar, sit on your ass while you explain to any clinician looking for a report, that the specimen is in “decal” and kinda look at him like he should know we can’t cut bone. Only do the T.C. portion.
Do a WHOLE BUNCH and you would do better than many employees!

Well, if you're an FMG, consider training in the US and returning home afterwards.

No need to stay and practice in a s***hole country after you've finished residency.

Well, if you're an FMG, consider training in the US and returning home afterwards.

No need to stay and practice in a s***hole country after you've finished residency.
some of these FMGs are from sh&@hole countries as well.

This is bad in medicine overall, not just pathology. If you’re stuck in this profession pathology isn’t that bad. Very rarely is path busy at work at 2 AM. Can’t say that about hospitalist, EM, Anesthesia, general surgery, ortho, ob-gyn, even radiology.

Would industry or consulting be recommended at this point? What should a resident do to prepare for those types of jobs?

Haha I just read that ad in pathoutlines and that's precisely what I was thinking. Memphis, TN is such an ideal place to have a referral lab because Fed Ex is just down the road. I wonder what Gastro1 is going to do to other path mills like Poplar Health.

Plenty of jobs in blood bank/transfusion medicine if you go that route.

Where are the usual SDN suspects to tell us how great pathology is?
I'm here and well. No worries. I know you all missed me :)

I completely agree that private practice is in big trouble. I also agree that someone who wants a research career is going to have a hard time. I am non-tenure clinical academics. I go home on time almost every day to see my family. I take a lunch break. I have time to exercise and for hobbies. I have a life. I like my job. I'm not rich, and I never will be but I had my first job at 14 at McDonalds to pay for clothes and gas and then took night shifts after school at Taco Bell to pay for college applications. I don't come from a world where people are upset about a $200K salary, but I do understand it sucks that people are making money off of our skill and pushing back as a field IS the right thing to do.

However, I am happy in pathology. I get to do something fun that I like and get paid for my time. This life for me is a big step up. I will be able to care for my parents when they can't take care of themselves anymore, and I can pay all my bills (including student loans) on time with some leftover to save for a decent retirement. That's not a bad lot in life if you ask me for a former burger flipper.

That's my piece. Take your shots.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Walked into a urology in office lab today. Felt like the “employee” pathologist. These guys got it good-the building is like a mini hospital with their own lab in house for pcr testing and cultures, etc. Outpatient clinic rooms staffed with nurses. They have their own CEO, CFO.

Pathologist uses the office used by the med tech.

:cryi::cryi: :mad: :cryi::cryi:

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
I love the field of pathology but I have to agree with the OP. I landed a decent paying job (>275K starting salary) after finishing fellowship 2 years ago. It’s not impossible but it’s not all that common for new hires. I had to relocate to a less populated region of the country where I had no family or personal ties. That was the trade-off I made and it has worked out for me so far.
For those in medical school: Pretty much any other specialty would be a better choice for the reasons already stated by others, unless you’ve had the desire to practice pathology since infancy or something.

Reactions: 3 users
They even made a research publication out of this forum :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

This study found that 11 of the 50 all-time most-viewed SDN pathology threads discussed the pathology job market. Such threads attracted significant attention (more than 400,000 views), with most threads created from 2009 to 2011. These threads temporally correlate with the start of the decline in seniors from US allopathic medical schools ranking pathology residency in the MRM, which began in 2011. It is likely complaints about the job market contributed to fewer seniors from US allopathic medical schools pursuing pathology residency over the past decade. Because pathology residency continues to have the lowest percentage of US allopathic medical students, it is possible concerns about the job-market continue to impede recruitment of students into our field. To more effectively attract [42, 43, 44] seniors from US allopathic medical schools, pathology residents, fellows, attendings, and organizations should publicize positive job-market data and related information to medical students. However, more studies are needed to determine if there is currently a mismatch in workforce supply and demand.

Last edited:
  • Haha
It may not be the most popular sub specialty but if you are thinking about Pathology, please consider Forensic Path. It’s good, steady work, virtually pandemic-proof, and the hours are unbeatable. There is a huge deficit of Forensic Paths in the US. More than happy to answer PMs about the work.

Reactions: 4 users
blue.jay Thanks for posting this article about SDN.
From the discussion- "In 2018, an analysis of 5-years (2012–2016) of College of American Pathologists (CAP) job market surveys was published [27]. The study covered survey results of “CAP junior members and fellows in practice 3-years or less who have actively searched for a non-fellowship position” and found that 73% of respondents received at least one job offer [27]. However, 81% reported difficulty finding a job and 93% of these respondents stated that there were “too few jobs available”
Wow, I had not read this, but I think I saw this quoted elsewhere on SDN. So 27% got no offers. Wow again. A young FP friend of mine direct quote to me when looking for job while in residency- "How do you get these recruiters to leave you alone?" My reply "alas I never had that experience I can't help you".
Academia keeps saying there is a shortage, I don't get it.

blue.jay Thanks for posting this article about SDN.
From the discussion- "In 2018, an analysis of 5-years (2012–2016) of College of American Pathologists (CAP) job market surveys was published [27]. The study covered survey results of “CAP junior members and fellows in practice 3-years or less who have actively searched for a non-fellowship position” and found that 73% of respondents received at least one job offer [27]. However, 81% reported difficulty finding a job and 93% of these respondents stated that there were “too few jobs available”
Wow, I had not read this, but I think I saw this quoted elsewhere on SDN. So 27% got no offers. Wow again. A young FP friend of mine direct quote to me when looking for job while in residency- "How do you get these recruiters to leave you alone?" My reply "alas I never had that experience I can't help you".
Academia keeps saying there is a shortage, I don't get it.

Karchner in that paper concluded the job market is strong. They want to keep Pathology attractive to medical students but too bad we know the truth and it surely isn’t a strong market for new grads and hasn’t been for the past 10 plus years. It’s an ok market. Lucky we have SDN to raise our voices.

• Angry
Reactions: 7 users
It may not be the most popular sub specialty but if you are thinking about Pathology, please consider Forensic Path. It’s good, steady work, virtually pandemic-proof, and the hours are unbeatable. There is a huge deficit of Forensic Paths in the US. More than happy to answer PMs about the work.

Would you please elaborate on the hours, salary, and how difficult it is to find jobs in desirable locations? Thank you

Sorry, this is not true.
The amount of open positions roughly equals the amount of graduating fellows.

Fellowships are half-filled in any given year, and many folks in current positions want to retire but cannot due to the deficits in incoming trainees.

You will never hurt for work, trust me.

Would you please elaborate on the hours, salary, and how difficult it is to find jobs in desirable locations? Thank you

All varied according to region. I would advise you to check out the NAME website for job postings. It is updated frequently.

Fellowships are half-filled in any given year

This is what I'm talking about - approx. 30-40 jobs (as per NAME+AAFS) for 40 graduating fellows annually (as per ASCP surveys).
I do understand that it is still better then general surgpath, but isn't it a bit overambitious to call it "huge deficit"? Unless you have some other numbers from more or less reliable sources.

This is what I'm talking about - approx. 30-40 jobs (as per NAME+AAFS) for 40 graduating fellows annually (as per ASCP surveys).
I do understand that it is still better then general surgpath, but isn't it a bit overambitious to call it "huge deficit"? Unless you have some other numbers from more or less reliable sources.

The answer is multifactorial. This was published late last year and regards a presentation from NAME in 2019.

I have been checking the NAME website regarding jobs religiously for the past year now and I can guarantee you there are at least 5-8 postings per week. The listings don't stay on the website forever, so if you check it now you only going to see the active listings. There have been WAY more jobs than what you currently see posted, pretty much all over the country and some of them with very lucrative salary and benefits.

I have been checking the NAME website regarding jobs religiously for the past year now and I can guarantee you there are at least 5-8 postings per week. The listings don't stay on the website forever, so if you check it now you only going to see the active listings. There have been WAY more jobs than what you currently see posted, pretty much all over the country and some of them with very lucrative salary and benefits.

What are the "very lucrative salary and benefits?

This is, and has been, a fact as re need for F.P’s for decades. One of the main reasons I did an FP fellowship with the military at Baltimore ME office and AFIP was
job security. It has not changed.

What are the "very lucrative salary and benefits?
Some have relocation benefits, good state retirement plans, good vacation time and even though majority of salaries are between 200-250K for straight out of fellowship, there are a couple of listings for 300K or more, maybe not as lucrative as other specialties overall but not too bad either!