Future of Step Scores in Fellowship - ACC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMeowMix

Reaction score
While watching the "Apply For Cardiology Fellowship - Insights from Program Directors & Trainees" video from ACC, the program coordinator from Iowa mentioned that the masking of Step scores will soon take place. I don't know if she was just mentioning those in relationship to P/F for Step 1 or if this will be a broader initiative for other Step exams. Places like Northwestern do not use Step scores to screen. Have cardiology programs changed how they use Step scores in their application process? Will there be a reduction in the significance of Step scores?

Members don't see this ad.

Step 1 will not matter anymore. Step 2 will. Step 3 is a toss-up. Cardiologists like objective data. Like it or not, Step scores provide objective data by which program directors can filter applicants.

Reactions: 2 users
Step 1 will not matter anymore. Step 2 will. Step 3 is a toss-up. Cardiologists like objective data. Like it or not, Step scores provide objective data by which program directors can filter applicants.
I dont think any of them matter all that much for fellowship, but Step 3 likely takes precedence over Step 2, given its proximity to residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont think any of them matter all that much for fellowship, but Step 3 likely takes precedence over Step 2, given its proximity to residency.
This is patently incorrect. Scores are the first thing we use to screen applicants and in fact, we raised our Step 1 and 2 cutoffs this year. Until now Step 3 has mattered the least. Next year when the applicants only have a pass/fail Step 1 score, we will look at Step 3 more closely.

Reactions: 1 user
This is patently incorrect. Scores are the first thing we use to screen applicants and in fact, we raised our Step 1 and 2 cutoffs this year. Until now Step 3 has mattered the least. Next year when the applicants only have a pass/fail Step 1 score, we will look at Step 3 more closely.
What are typical cutoffs for cards fellowship ?

What are typical cutoffs for cards fellowship ?

Every fellowship is different.

If somebody had 196 in step 1 and scored 250 in all other steps - I won’t screen out just based on step 1 if residents is very good in other criteria.

Most PDs look at the whole package - quality of residency, personal statement, research, LORs etc.

From talking to 4-5 program directors at large university hospitals, all have modest cutoffs for Step scores, and almost all said Step scores range from inconsequential to of minor consideration in the ranking. One of them likened it to using MCAT scores for residency rankings.

That being said, N=5.

From talking to 4-5 program directors at large university hospitals, all have modest cutoffs for Step scores, and almost all said Step scores range from inconsequential to of minor consideration in the ranking. One of them likened it to using MCAT scores for residency rankings.

That being said, N=5.
Therein lies the distinction. The scores don't matter as much for ranking. They matter immensely for interviews. Look up the latest copy of Charting Outcomes in the Match. You'll see that Step 1 is still the most-used metric for granting interviews.

Therein lies the distinction. The scores don't matter as much for ranking. They matter immensely for interviews. Look up the latest copy of Charting Outcomes in the Match. You'll see that Step 1 is still the most-used metric for granting interviews.
They made it seem like Step scores had minimal influence in granting interviews and little to no influence in the ranking. They placed considerable focus on quality of research, quality of letters, pedigree of letter writers, and (implicitly) seem to prefer AMG residents coming from academic training programs.

Your program, however, may place a bigger on Step scores, so different places obviously have their own criteria.

Interesting thread. I am guessing a step failure after p/f (and before) would probably take you out of a competitive fellowship like cards?

They made it seem like Step scores had minimal influence in granting interviews and little to no influence in the ranking. They placed considerable focus on quality of research, quality of letters, pedigree of letter writers, and (implicitly) seem to prefer AMG residents coming from academic training programs.

Your program, however, may place a bigger on Step scores, so different places obviously have their own criteria.

As I said, review Charting Outcomes of the Match. Scores matter more than you appear to think. Good luck with your applications.

Interesting thread. I am guessing a step failure after p/f (and before) would probably take you out of a competitive fellowship like cards?

Matching cardiology after a board failure isn't impossible but it is extremely difficult. We actually can't filter by first time pass; that has to be verified manually. Generally that applicant is going to need an advocate who's willing to make phone calls to convince program directors to overlook the score(s).

Things are not black and white.

I dont automatically screen out based on USMLE failure---in fact there is no screening tool on Eras to automatically screen out those who fail. I have to click on the USME transcript to find out if the candidate ever failed a USMLE board

Some of the best candidates I have seen ----failed step 1 which coincided with close family member death and scored really high in the other steps and have gone on to excel in residency. They typically address it in their personal statement

In fact as we speak, when I sort all US MD candidates who applied to my program this year--- the two lowest USMLE 1 scores 197 and 201----happen to be IVY league residents who will probably match very well.

I personally review application starting with the those with low scores to see if I can find some hidden gems because I know that most PDs start from the top :).

However, I agree that step scores still matter. If USMLE step 1 is pass/ fail, most PDs will move on to a different scale

I was granted an interview with low scores at a specific program, but also spent a month at the program when interviews were being granted. Unsure if my interview was granted as a "courtesy", and I will be filtered out when they comprise their rank list. Thoughts regarding this scenario?

While watching the "Apply For Cardiology Fellowship - Insights from Program Directors & Trainees" video from ACC, the program coordinator from Iowa mentioned that the masking of Step scores will soon take place. I don't know if she was just mentioning those in relationship to P/F for Step 1 or if this will be a broader initiative for other Step exams. Places like Northwestern do not use Step scores to screen. Have cardiology programs changed how they use Step scores in their application process? Will there be a reduction in the significance of Step scores?
I am an IMG with a attempt in my step 1 pass / fail . Matched this year in IM . STEP 2 - 270.
Will work rigorously to make my CV good and will focus on more research work .
Will my step 2 and step 3 scores , reserch work and hardwork during residency cover up my step 1 attempt during fellowship application?

Step 1 for the 2023-2024 cycle is still a factor for fellowship. I have a numerical score and I didn't take any gap year etc. I don't think a single applicant can have a P/F.

Step 1 for the 2023-2024 cycle is still a factor for fellowship. I have a numerical score and I didn't take any gap year etc. I don't think a single applicant can have a P/F.
They use attempt as a filter in fellowship / just scores in steps?
I will apply for fellowship In 2028-2029 .
Currently started my PGY1 .
My dad Had MI just 2 weeks ahead of my step 1 exam . I did explained this part in my residency interview. Currently I am in an university program.

They use attempt as a filter in fellowship / just scores in steps?
I will apply for fellowship In 2028-2029 .
Currently started my PGY1 .
My dad Had MI just 2 weeks ahead of my step 1 exam . I did explained this part in my residency interview. Currently I am in an university program.
You are applying to Endo per other threads. Please do not post multiple threads. All the answers you need are there

Status
Not open for further replies.