The Effect of Pass/Fail Step 1 on Cardiology Fellowship Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peterparker12354

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Quick question that has been on my mind recently. Does anyone know what the effect of Step 1 now being pass/fail has on cards fellowship apps? Will there be more of an emphasis on Step 2? Also, when will PDs make the shift to stop filtering by Step 1 scores (asking as someone who was one of the last groups to take a scored Step 1 and didn't do super great on the exam)? Thanks, interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

There is a relatively recent post from a cardiology fellowship PD on SDN, saying he/she will use Step2CK as the primary filtering tool and take Step3 score more seriously. You can find the post.

Reactions: 1 user
There is a relatively recent post from a cardiology fellowship PD on SDN, saying he/she will use Step2CK as the primary filtering tool and take Step3 score more seriously. You can find the post.
Thanks for the heads up. Any idea when the shift towards PDs Taking pass/fail step 1 into account will occur and how they will interpret a candidate pool where some have Step 1 numerical scores but others do not?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the heads up. Any idea when the shift towards PDs Taking pass/fail step 1 into account will occur and how they will interpret a candidate pool where some have Step 1 numerical scores but others do not?
IIRC, the PD did not specify when. I assume that they would need to rely on Step2CK and/or Step3 more, as the proportion of people without a numerical Step1 score increases.

Hey everyone,
Quick question that has been on my mind recently. Does anyone know what the effect of Step 1 now being pass/fail has on cards fellowship apps? Will there be more of an emphasis on Step 2? Also, when will PDs make the shift to stop filtering by Step 1 scores (asking as someone who was one of the last groups to take a scored Step 1 and didn't do super great on the exam)? Thanks, interested to hear everyone's thoughts.
If a PD starts looking at step 2CK it doesn’t mean that they ignore a 202 for step 1 if available.

I wouldn’t spend too much time trying to analyze or interpret what PDs do because it’s just so variable. Step scores are just a small part of your application.

Reactions: 1 user