Future of TAVR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstart108

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In many centers TAVR is now done awake fully percutaneously with local anesthetic only. Surgeons and anesthetists are often there for backup only. Surgeons have been trying to get in on TAVR for a while, however what is going to be the future of TAVR? Will it become an interventionalist's domain or will surgery take it 50/50? What will happen to the anesthetists eventually?

SAVR will never die for cases where concomitant heart surgery is needed, however with cardiology controlling patient referrals, what is the true benefit of a cardiac surgeon doing TAVR vs an interventionalist?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am in a top 5 TAVR center in the US. Most CT surgeons have terrible percutaneous skills unless they are vascular trained. I don't think they will have a "50/50" take on it. For now it remains mandatory to have a surgeon present. However as this becomes more routine, this may become much like a PCI.

Is there a website/place I can find how many TAVR's each hospital performs every year? Thank you!