future opportunities in Austin TEXAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beadle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know UTMB is migrating up there in some respects (clinical rotations, etc.)

Would UTMB's encroachment upon Austin's many many hospitals ultimately lead to residency programs opening up there? As far as I know, there aren't many residency opportunities in Austin (if there are, please someone list them!!)

Anyways...Austin has so much potential to teach students with the hospitals they already have. Why TX wants to expand out into El Paso and other Panhandle areas is beyond me!

Members don't see this ad.

1) The best thing to get residency slots in Austin would be to open a med school in Austin, which is under sincere consideration right now.

2) El Paso is getting a Med school probably because it is easier to obtain financing if you can say it will benefit indigent care

I know UTMB is migrating up there in some respects (clinical rotations, etc.)

Would UTMB's encroachment upon Austin's many many hospitals ultimately lead to residency programs opening up there? As far as I know, there aren't many residency opportunities in Austin (if there are, please someone list them!!)

Anyways...Austin has so much potential to teach students with the hospitals they already have. Why TX wants to expand out into El Paso and other Panhandle areas is beyond me!

http://www.utmb.edu/campaign/volunteers/InitiativeEducation/OnePagers/AustinFactSheet.pdf
Says that "by the end of the 2007 fiscal year, UTMB will have nine graduate medical education programs in Austin. Specialties will include OB/GYN, FP, neurology, EM, and pediatrics, among others."

If you really want to know about a particular specialty, go to FREIDA
http://www.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/srch/
and search for it. You can't list all the GME in Texas at once because there are way too many and the software won't let you -- but you can list them blocks at a time if you're interested enough.

And yes, "care of the underserved" is the official reason for putting programs off the beaten tracks. In Texas, the most underserved populations are the ones of mexican descent near the mexican border.