I’m having trouble looking for shadowing opportunities in my area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kirvoyant

Reaction score
So just as the title says, I am having a bit of a problem finding physicians that I could shadow in my area. So a bit of background, I am an international student and so I don’t like actually have a good primary care physician that I regularly go to, but I am wondering like what tips do you guys have in regards to getting or finding these resources? I’ve been trying to contact the hospitals nearby but I’ve been having trouble like actually getting a response back so do you think that I should just go in person or if it would be best to just email and wait

I am currently in my sophomore year and I’ve been kind of stressed about getting all my activities done because I feel like I’m definitely liking behind. I’ve seen some posts about people getting about like 1000 hours and I’m just wondering like how do y’all do that. I’m also trying to apply to med school like the my senior year so like I might consider a gap year but for now this is what I’m focusing on, so any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Keep searching for opportunities and cold-calling, and also jump on any opportunities that arise.
Also, you might connect with a physician in an unlikely way (gym, neighbor, etc.) - build that relationship and ask!
Or, if you get to know someone in the healthcare field (nurse, PA, etc.), ask if they could put you in contact with a physician to shadow. It often helps to have someone vouch for you to speed up the process.

Another idea: ask the alumni office at your school if they can reach out to alumni in the area who are physicians and ask if they would be willing to host a current student who would like to shadow. Alumni offices are always looking for ways to help alumni engage with the school.

Also, if there are any fellow students who have a parent who is a physician, that's a possible connection.

Finally, if you volunteer in a health care setting, you may cross paths with physicians who would be willing to let you shadow.

50 hours is enough time and can be spread over a few physicians.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Another idea: ask the alumni office at your school if they can reach out to alumni in the area who are physicians and ask if they would be willing to host a current student who would like to shadow. Alumni offices are always looking for ways to help alumni engage with the school.

Also, if there are any fellow students who have a parent who is a physician, that's a possible connection.

Finally, if you volunteer in a health care setting, you may cross paths with physicians who would be willing to let you shadow.

Would it be OK to shadow only two family doctors for 90 hours total? I guess more diversity in specialties would be better?

90 hours of shadowing is a bit too much. 50 hours is plenty. Most medical care is primary care provided in outpatient offices so getting that exposure is very good. If you don't have work or volunteer experience in the inpatient setting, it could be helpful to have at least a day of experience in that setting.

90 hours of shadowing is a bit too much. 50 hours is plenty. Most medical care is primary care provided in outpatient offices so getting that exposure is very good. If you don't have work or volunteer experience in the inpatient setting, it could be helpful to have at least a day of experience in that setting.
Thanks a lot for the advice.

I emailed 30 physicians and got two responses. Keep cracking on.

You only need 50-100 hours of shadowing.
Yeah, I've been trying to send a bunch of cold emails, but I'll definitely keep trying to do that. A lot of the physicians in my area don't really have their emails publicized, and I'm not sure if I should be calling their office to ask or not

Keep searching for opportunities and cold-calling, and also jump on any opportunities that arise.
Also, you might connect with a physician in an unlikely way (gym, neighbor, etc.) - build that relationship and ask!
Or, if you get to know someone in the healthcare field (nurse, PA, etc.), ask if they could put you in contact with a physician to shadow. It often helps to have someone vouch for you to speed up the process.
Yeah, I'm definitely looking into maybe asking some people I know if they know anyone who might be willing to let me shadow. I'm a bit nervous about cold-calling, but I'll try it out. I just feel like it's a bit awkward calling an office should they be under the impression that I'm trying to book an appointment. I'll have to get over it though! Thanks for the input!

Thanks! I'll definitely try and contact the alumni office at my university

SDN Activity Finder lists virtual shadowing as a good start. The hours spent won't count, but you may want to ask them also how to find in-person shadowing near you.

Do you have clinical experience? Find Extracurricular Medical and Clinical Work Experiences | Activity Finder
Can you leverage those opportunities to identify doctors you can shadow?

As an international student, are you on an F1 or J1? I don't know if this link is still active but try Mentors20
I'm on F1 right now!