Future Practice/Job Market with AI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thinkingaboutderm

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS3 thinking about doing derm. It's hard to really get honest opinions on this but I want to think about my career planning (especially for the next 30-40 years of practice). There has been a lot of research into AI in diagnosing skin cancers, and it doesn't seem like much of a stretch that it could expand to other diseases in dermatology in the not so distant future.

What are the thoughts of how AI could impact the future practice of dermatology? What about job market impacts, ability to get referrals, etc? I know dermatology is more than just looking at moles and rashes (of course someone has to treat them medically/surgically). But I wonder if giving any physician the power to just take a picture and get a diagnosis could affect dermatology 10-20 years from now.

For current residents/staff on these forums, would you still recommend this as a career to medical students? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an MS3 thinking about doing derm. It's hard to really get honest opinions on this but I want to think about my career planning (especially for the next 30-40 years of practice). There has been a lot of research into AI in diagnosing skin cancers, and it doesn't seem like much of a stretch that it could expand to other diseases in dermatology in the not so distant future.

What are the thoughts of how AI could impact the future practice of dermatology? What about job market impacts, ability to get referrals, etc? I know dermatology is more than just looking at moles and rashes (of course someone has to treat them medically/surgically). But I wonder if giving any physician the power to just take a picture and get a diagnosis could affect dermatology 10-20 years from now.

For current residents/staff on these forums, would you still recommend this as a career to medical students? Thanks.

This has been covered before: Impact of AI on Derm

Even if AI gets good enough to the point where it can diagnose lesions reliably, someone still needs to biopsy it for confirmation. Someone still needs to treat it if malignant.

I would not use AI as a reason to pick or not pick dermatology. Or for that matter, any other medical field.

Reactions: 1 users
Wielding Rocks and Knives, Arizonans Attack Self-Driving Cars

Citizens are literally running self driving cars off the road and brandishing weapons at their passive drivers. While I fear job stability from a variety of sources, AI is not one of them.
Meh, heavy load long haul trucking would be the first class automated, and the legal firms around the country are salivating at the prospect. Someone page me when congress passes a blanket immunity law for firms utilizing automated driver technology, then and only then will it become a reality.