Mohs Surgeon Job Market

Started by bad_bunny
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bad_bunny

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any recent fellowship graduates who have tested the job market have any input? I'd imagine finding a full-time Mohs job in a city would be hard, rural would be easier. Just looking for anecdotal evidence of the difficulty of securing full-time mohs, and salary
 
Any recent fellowship graduates who have tested the job market have any input? I'd imagine finding a full-time Mohs job in a city would be hard, rural would be easier. Just looking for anecdotal evidence of the difficulty of securing full-time mohs, and salary
Huh -- what would make you think that finding a full time subspecialty job that requires a sizable population to be busy, a sizable referring population to be busy, etc, would be easy to find in a rural setting?

Try this: full time subspecialty MMS does not really exist in rural settings. Mixed / dig out your own? Yeah, doable. You'll never be "busy". "Busy" requires a busy referral network, referral networks require many providers, many providers require a big population. Why do docs seem to locate primarily in the cities? Because that's where the people live. #SuttonsCorollary
 
I would add that if full-time Mohs is non-negotiable, I'd think long and hard before committing to another year of training as you'll likely end up disappointed.

I interviewed with numerous practice owners who were insulted at the thought when I brought it up

"I've been in practice for 10 years and I'm not full-time Mohs. What would make you think that I would start you out of the gate full-time Mohs with a full case load?"

PE groups are always quick to offer full-time Mohs citing their armies of midlevels waiting to feed you cases. Having worked at one for <1 year, it's yet another promise that is not fulfilled.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would add that if full-time Mohs is non-negotiable, I'd think long and hard before committing to another year of training as you'll likely end up disappointed.

I interviewed with numerous practice owners who were insulted at the thought when I brought it up

"I've been in practice for 10 years and I'm not full-time Mohs. What would make you think that I would start you out of the gate full-time Mohs with a full case load?"

PE groups are always quick to offer full-time Mohs citing their armies of midlevels waiting to feed you cases. Having worked at one for <1 year, it's yet another promise that is not fulfilled.
Hear, hear. It's a fool's errand to believe you will naturally land a full time job in your chosen field in either dermpath or MMS -- at least "busy" as we would want to be. It's been that way for 15 years now; I mean, I know we can be slow to catch on, but damn....

I remember a few years back at the Mohs college meeting they did an informal survey with the little handheld ballot device (think trivia night at the bar - ha). They asked how many were full time defined as 4 full patient days per week. They then asked how many were full time MMS. They then asked annual volume. A relatively high percentage claimed full time work, a smaller but still significant majority claimed full time MMS, but -- and by no small margin -- the median and most frequent case load was 500-750 cases annually. Sorry, but that math does not compute, someone was not being honest (either with self or group, who knows). Only a small minority, mostly old guys, admitted to routinely performing more than 1000 cases annually. Granted, this was immediately following a keynote speaker decrying the increased utilization... and someone who won't be named getting up and saying that the grand increase was largely by college folks, not the society -- so I'm not sure of the validity of the polling -- but one thing that I am quite sure of: complaints of simply being overcome and looking to add an associate (Mohs) provider were scarce. As in, non-existent.

I'd have a job lined up before agreeing to the fellowship.
 
Hear, hear. It's a fool's errand to believe you will naturally land a full time job in your chosen field in either dermpath or MMS -- at least "busy" as we would want to be. It's been that way for 15 years now; I mean, I know we can be slow to catch on, but damn....

I remember a few years back at the Mohs college meeting they did an informal survey with the little handheld ballot device (think trivia night at the bar - ha). They asked how many were full time defined as 4 full patient days per week. They then asked how many were full time MMS. They then asked annual volume. A relatively high percentage claimed full time work, a smaller but still significant majority claimed full time MMS, but -- and by no small margin -- the median and most frequent case load was 500-750 cases annually. Sorry, but that math does not compute, someone was not being honest (either with self or group, who knows). Only a small minority, mostly old guys, admitted to routinely performing more than 1000 cases annually. Granted, this was immediately following a keynote speaker decrying the increased utilization... and someone who won't be named getting up and saying that the grand increase was largely by college folks, not the society -- so I'm not sure of the validity of the polling -- but one thing that I am quite sure of: complaints of simply being overcome and looking to add an associate (Mohs) provider were scarce. As in, non-existent.

I'd have a job lined up before agreeing to the fellowship.

What do you mean by having a job lined up before agreeing to the fellowship? Is it typical to already have a job w/ Mohs etc before starting the fellowship? Also isn't it a match process?
 
I think a lot of it is regional. I believe you can still find busy mohs practices. I was considering doing a fellowship but elected not to due to moving family twice and some other factors. My practice I joined has a mohs surgeon that does over 1k cases/year and booking out 3+ months, not a huge city (around 130k). He wanted me to join given my background and offered to train me. I’m doing mostly general but should have about 300-400 cases this year. We co-read all path together and in general discuss all the cases but I have a lot more independence. I guess it is a fellowship without moving family 2x, not a significant pay cut and continuing in the same job.
 
I think a lot of it is regional. I believe you can still find busy mohs practices. I was considering doing a fellowship but elected not to due to moving family twice and some other factors. My practice I joined has a mohs surgeon that does over 1k cases/year and booking out 3+ months, not a huge city (around 130k). He wanted me to join given my background and offered to train me. I’m doing mostly general but should have about 300-400 cases this year. We co-read all path together and in general discuss all the cases but I have a lot more independence. I guess it is a fellowship without moving family 2x, not a significant pay cut and continuing in the same job.
I would say that represents a very unique and somewhat odd setup, but I'm glad it works for you both. Reminds me of the old story about why should one buy the cow.....