future shoratge of physicians??

Started by pathman1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pathman1

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hello all! I was speaking to a few physicians yesterday and they mentioned that there will be projected shortage of physicians in the near future (contarary to the projected numbers in the 90's, by the way back then they predicited that there would be an overabundance of physicians!). Does this mean more job openings in all areas of medicine (such as path), or only in certain fields?
 
I can never figure these studies out. It's kind of like when the government tries to predict budget deficits or surpluses, their projections change all the time and are based on current trends and not on future ones.

No doubt there will be shortages in certain areas - like bariatric surgery.
 
pathman1 said:
hello all! I was speaking to a few physicians yesterday and they mentioned that there will be projected shortage of physicians in the near future (contarary to the projected numbers in the 90's, by the way back then they predicited that there would be an overabundance of physicians!). Does this mean more job openings in all areas of medicine (such as path), or only in certain fields?
i've heard this several times but people were talking about shortage of primary care physicians. more people seem to be fleeing from primary care fields to $$$ fields or "lifestyle" fields or both.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
pathman1 said:
hello all! I was speaking to a few physicians yesterday and they mentioned that there will be projected shortage of physicians in the near future (contarary to the projected numbers in the 90's, by the way back then they predicited that there would be an overabundance of physicians!). Does this mean more job openings in all areas of medicine (such as path), or only in certain fields?
Didn't you post a very similar job market question on here recently?

Find what you enjoy doing, and do that. Period. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to analyze predicted trends. If you like pathology, there's room for you.
 
I would expect a shortage of geriatricians. Poor old people; nobody wants to deal with them nor their unique health problems.
 
stormjen said:
I would expect a shortage of geriatricians. Poor old people; nobody wants to deal with them nor their unique health problems.

True enough - ironically that probably is what I would have done had I not done path. Geriatrics seemed more rewarding to me than other branches of medicine - older people tend to appreciate things more and not be such dipwads.
 
yaah said:
True enough - ironically that probably is what I would have done had I not done path. Geriatrics seemed more rewarding to me than other branches of medicine - older people tend to appreciate things more and not be such dipwads.
One word: chartomegaly.

I get along well with older people in general. Apart from that one guy whom I asked "do you have numbness and tingling in your feet?" who replied incredibly snidely "yes I have paresthesias you ****." (not verbatim)
 
deschutes said:
One word: chartomegaly.

I get along well with older people in general. Apart from that one guy whom I asked "do you have numbness and tingling in your feet?" who replied incredibly snidely "yes I have paresthesias you ****." (not verbatim)
yeah, he had probably been asked that question a hundred times by a hundred different people hence explaining his crankiness.
 
stormjen said:
I would expect a shortage of geriatricians. Poor old people; nobody wants to deal with them nor their unique health problems.

Pathology is geriatrics with a slightly longer horizon of events.