**future trends in medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spectrin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was recently talking to a radiologist and he said something that really stuck with me. something along the lines.."the trick in medicine is to pick a specialty that is easy to get into, but revolutionized by the time you finish your training."

this really stuck with me because this radiologist is a self-described 'slacker' an FMG who failed the boards 2 times!!!!!!!!!. He originally wanted to go into IM but didn't have the scores!! he told me that 20 years ago rads couldn't even fill!!!

My question is what are some future trends in medicine? what will be next generations hot fields? time to bust out the magic 8 ball!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i was recently talking to a radiologist and he said something that really stuck with me. something along the lines.."the trick in medicine is to pick a specialty that is easy to get into, but revolutionized by the time you finish your training."

this really stuck with me because this radiologist is a self-described 'slacker' an FMG who failed the boards 2 times!!!!!!!!!. He originally wanted to go into IM but didn't have the scores!! he told me that 20 years ago rads couldn't even fill!!!

My question is what are some future trends in medicine? what will be next generations hot fields? time to bust out the magic 8 ball!

i'll start..
1. Rheumatology- with the human genome sequenced i think there will be more therapies for RA, Lupus, ect. plus 'personalized medicine' will translate into $$$
2. neurology-a lot of research, a lot of MD/PhDs go into this field. i think this field will boom much like cards and GI.
3. nephrolgy- huge need dialysis and kidney transplant with the baby boomers. also there a limited amount of trained nephrologist out there. high demand + low supply=$$$

-----
just like IM, OB/Gyn tanked..

1. radiology-huge push in Washington to cut imaging reimbursements

i guess with so much uncertainty the real winners will be the ones that actually pick something they enjoy!
that's a great trick. another useful tip is to buy low and sell high. too bad it really only works in hindsight

Instead of worrying about how all of society can pay for the cost increases of diabetes/etc maybe we should make the individual responsible for the bill. If you have Type II DM because you are overweight (BMI > 25) etc, why should society picks up the tab. Same for COPD in smokers. If you can't pay, nothing but basic care for you. Maybe that would force people to clean up their lifestyles.

you have pretty good idea but unfortunately, our great president does not get it, he bails everybody out except taxpayers.He is a fan of handouts.Nobody needs to take any responsibility for their own health , their mortgage ..etc.

Instead of worrying about how all of society can pay for the cost increases of diabetes/etc maybe we should make the individual responsible for the bill. If you have Type II DM because you are overweight (BMI > 25) etc, why should society picks up the tab. Same for COPD in smokers. If you can't pay, nothing but basic care for you. Maybe that would force people to clean up their lifestyles.

:thumbup:

Best post of the year. Unfortunately people don't care because there's this feeling that every human is entitled to healthcare (even those that don't care about their health). I'm sick of seeing patients in the ER ask if they could step outside for a cigarette while we're working them up for an MI.

Instead of worrying about how all of society can pay for the cost increases of diabetes/etc maybe we should make the individual responsible for the bill.

Actually, that was mentioned in the article...