FYI - Rhetoric

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wrote:

Dr. Andy XXXX D.M.D.

My faculty said that's rhetorical, it should be either:

Dr. Andy XXXX

OR

Andy XXXX D.M.D.

[HINT: Tom, fixed your signature, congrats in about a week!]

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I do not agree that the first one is not right. The public will not know what type of doctor you are if you do option two. Do you have a doctorate in medicine, economics, english....

Putting the DMD/DDS/MD/OD/PHD tells the person where your expertise is. So I think option one and three are correct and two is not enough info

And remember this, because a person with a doctorate told you that is the right way, still doesn't mean its right!

I think we need a second opinion :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Andy.

If you want to choose Dr. XXX YYYY - there is no obligation to share your field or specialty with anyone. This is good - it shows that you are a professional as well as any other doctor. The anonymity itself is why the title Dr. was created for doctors to be viewed as experts.

However, XXX YYY, DDS - allows you to distinguish yourself from other Doctors when it comes to certain things like: Your name in publications, your name in the yellow pages, your name on your private practice etc.

I've asked that question before too. From what I was told, Andy and Mo007 are correct.

yeah when my brother graduated med school last year, he started signing everything Dr. XXX M.D.

other doctors said it was redundant and made fun of him.

late
rick

Andy is always right! :thumbup:

Never doubt Andy! :laugh:

Hey, I, too, was corrected by a faculty, so I think they would know what the hectic they're talking about!

He pointed at my "Dr. Andy XXXXX D.M.D." and said, that's rhetorical, you know that right? I was like....."uuuuhh...yeah!"

:D

But now I know and knowing is half of the battle, G.I. JOE!

I think you mean redundant. it's all good, though. :)

Andy, you're still wrong! It's supposed to be Andy XXX, D.M.D., M.D. !!! :D

I agree with you all. Why do u have to stress your degree more than once unless ur really desperate?

The first instance is NOT at all redundant in certain situations.

In situations where you are to be viewed as an "expert" in an area, it is nearly a necessity that you state both "Dr." and the degree(s) held.

Of course, such a signing on checks or other paperwork would be foolish, especially if it is an intra-healthcare situation.

ItsGavinC said:
Of course, such a signing on checks or other paperwork would be foolish, especially if it is an intra-healthcare situation.

thats what i was talking about...signing like that for a beer at the bar, or to fill up your gas tank.

late
rick

A running joke on the TV show "3rd Rock from the Sun" was that the character Mary Albright, a rather insecure anthropology professor at a tiny "Podunk U." type of school, had "Dr. Mary Albright, Ph.D." imprinted on her credit card, which she'd flash around at restaurants with a smug smile. :D Anyone else remember that?