G Chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalmisionary

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to prepare for the g chem section of the dat, i've been doing practice problems but the only thing it seems to do is show how little i actually know. Can anyone help?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the best way to prepare for the g chem section of the dat, i've been doing practice problems but the only thing it seems to do is show how little i actually know. Can anyone help?

Depends on how much time you have before your dat. I had g chem 4 years ago and I had no clue what I was doing. I took the outline from the ADA with all the topics covered and filled it in with formulas from each section. I reviewed and became familiar with them. I then went through the ACS study guide to become with what some major questions are for each topic. I would then go to a text/review book like kaplan and study the topic and do problems just for that topic until i could do it. Once you can make it through the ACS do the destroyer and other practice problems. I think it is important that you do alot of problems by topic so you get the hang of doing one type before you confuse yourself with another. Hope something here helps. Good Luck!

You must understand concepts to be able to score well in GC on the DAT.

understand delta G,H,S and be able to know what they are in a given circumstance.

Understand rates and Le chat's principle.

understand Ksp and the solubility rules

understand redox rxns and how to balance them.

understand phase changes and what happens, what are the names, what are the delta g,h,s in each change

etc etc.

you must go through the destroyer and be able to do every single problem in the GC section, do it 4 or 5 times.

i got my GC from a 16 to a 20 by doing destroyer + kaplan blue book. no joke. it's really not that hard on the real thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
You must understand concepts to be able to score well in GC on the DAT.

understand delta G,H,S and be able to know what they are in a given circumstance.

Understand rates and Le chat's principle.

understand Ksp and the solubility rules

understand redox rxns and how to balance them.

understand phase changes and what happens, what are the names, what are the delta g,h,s in each change

etc etc.

you must go through the destroyer and be able to do every single problem in the GC section, do it 4 or 5 times.

i got my GC from a 16 to a 20 by doing destroyer + kaplan blue book. no joke. it's really not that hard on the real thing.

Past the pretty general and easy stuff for GC, what exactly did you miss or what was on the test that wasn't emphasized in destroyer? It seems that it's hard to miss a question in GC if you know your stuff, but obviously not everyone is getting a 30- what if anything caught you off guard?

Has anyone here used topscore, and if so, how did that GChem compare to the real DAT?

i got 17 and 18 on the first two topscore tests for gen chem.

i took a day and went through everything in kaplan blue book over gen chem one more time and took the third topscore..... got a 22 on that.

I ended up getting a 22 in gen chem on the real test.

in my opinion, the topscore is a good indicator of what you can get for gen chem and orgo.

I found the examkrackers gchem book to be very helpful. It really helped me truly understand the information.