G.E.D. Recipient

Started by smarttee88
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

smarttee88

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a G.E.D. recipient who is highly interested in the medical field (specifically in the practice of medicine) and I was wondering does anybody know anyone who has received a G.E.D., did well in undergrad, and got excepted into medical school? If, not from your personal or professional opinion what chances do you think I have in achieving this goal and life long dream that I have always had....on a side-note I am currently working full-time in this field caring for the developmentally disabled. I would be willing to volunteer, bust my ass in undergrad and do whatever it takes to make this possible for myself. Any insight?
 
Absolutely, there are GED-history students who make it to med school. There's a book about nontrads that covers a whole lotta folks from improbable backgrounds. More to the point, there's nothing about high school that matters, come med school admisssions time.

First step: go talk to an admissions counselor at a university. Put a rational plan in place to get started on a degree, and to get it paid for, and then get in there and go for it.

GET GREAT GRADES. Your GPA is your fate.

Best of luck to you.
 
I am a G.E.D. recipient who is highly interested in the medical field (specifically in the practice of medicine) and I was wondering does anybody know anyone who has received a G.E.D., did well in undergrad, and got excepted into medical school? If, not from your personal or professional opinion what chances do you think I have in achieving this goal and life long dream that I have always had....on a side-note I am currently working full-time in this field caring for the developmentally disabled. I would be willing to volunteer, bust my ass in undergrad and do whatever it takes to make this possible for myself. Any insight?
PM Neuronix. He's a former HS dropout who earned a GED, went to college, and is now finishing up his MD/PhD at U Penn.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a G.E.D. recipient who is highly interested in the medical field (specifically in the practice of medicine) and I was wondering does anybody know anyone who has received a G.E.D., did well in undergrad, and got excepted into medical school? If, not from your personal or professional opinion what chances do you think I have in achieving this goal and life long dream that I have always had....on a side-note I am currently working full-time in this field caring for the developmentally disabled. I would be willing to volunteer, bust my ass in undergrad and do whatever it takes to make this possible for myself. Any insight?


The physician that I am currently shadowing has her G.E.D., didn't grad. from undergrad, had 3 teenage kids while in medical school and still managed to do her residency at Mass General... Go for it!👍
 
I got my GED, transferred from a community college into UC Berkeley and am now applying to medical school, with 2 interviews so far. You can most certainly do this.

That said, I would advise you to take a good look at your academic strengths and weaknesses and chose a major accordingly. Grades really are the end all - be all in this process. Don't major in a science unless your math skills are above average. Don't major in philosophy unless you can write and argue a point well, kwim? I think that was the biggest mistake I made as an undergrad. I flailed until I changed to a major that suited me, and then I made straight A's.

If math and science aren't your strong suit, go slow. Take remedial classes for stuff you're weak on, and take them one at a time while taking other gen ed stuff that isn't as hard for you. Don't worry that it will take you a while to graduate from college - for most GED folks, it just does, so focus on the quality of your coursework.

Good luck to you!

S